Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2005   #1
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Could a Colts win save capers?

You see my question....now gimme those responses.

I say nothing saves his job short of the playoffs.
Old 10-21-2005   #2
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes. A win over the Colts would secure Capers' job. Well...if followed by 9 more wins over the last 10 games.
Old 10-21-2005   #3
sulli60
Rookie

A win against the Colts would probably extend a couple of years on Carr's life.

Caper's is done. Can we get that guy Terry Robiskie to be our interum headcoach for the rest of the season?
sulli60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #4
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Even before the season began, Capers was listed as one of the NFL coaches on the hot seat. It would take a winning season to keep him here. Colts win does nothing for that. I don't think anything has changed. Unless he gets a winning season, Capers is out.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #5
ATX_Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Caper's is done. Can we get that guy Terry Robiskie to be our interum headcoach for the rest of the season?
No, McNair decided to not put Capers out of his misery. For some warped reason, it make more sense to leave the lame duck coach in place. It gives everyone on this team an excuse to not care about the rest of season. However, the fans are still expected to cheer on the same crappy product for the next two months.

Capers record for rest of season: 2 - 9 (maybe)
Robiskie possilble record for rest of season: 1 - 10 (based on 1 win for after changing the coach)

Does not seem like much of a difference to me.
ATX_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Could a Colts win save capers?
hey, hey...let's not get emotional.

Not really knowing where Mr. McNair's "line in the sand" is established, it's tough to say at what point he knows in his head that Coach Capers has to go.

I would assume that a 4-12 season (or worse) is a 'sure thing'. But what about 6-10 or 7-9 (unlikely record at this point)?
Old 10-21-2005   #7
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

It better not.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2005   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

No. No more Capers.
Old 10-21-2005   #9
mean mark8
Veteran

Everyone seems to be saying that Capers' being fired is almost certainly a sure thing. What about that 5-yr plan that McNair bought into? Does anyone see Capers possibly being our coach again next year? Look, Tice is still with the Vikings and Hasslet with the Saints. It's possible that McNair will let Capers stay one more year to "right the ship." It's scary but it could happen.
mean mark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #10
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
No. No more Capers.
Agreed. The only way I can see Capers keeping his job for next season is if he saves McNair from a burning building.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #11
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A win against the Colts might save David from getting benche

A win against the Colts might save David from getting benched But Dom's seat is red hot and it has been since the Pittifulsburgh game
Old 10-22-2005   #12
Bassinguy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill

I'm not even sure that making the playoffs would save his job. Besides, the playoffs aren't happening this year. They'd have to go at least 9-2 from this point, which puts them at 9-7 for the season. It probably will take 10-6 to make it in the AFC.
Bassinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #13
touttail
All Pro

Tell me that you guys didn't see the fork sticking out of Dom ??????

He's done!

bobby 119C :brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #14
Bassinguy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean mark8
Everyone seems to be saying that Capers' being fired is almost certainly a sure thing. What about that 5-yr plan that McNair bought into? Does anyone see Capers possibly being our coach again next year? Look, Tice is still with the Vikings and Hasslet with the Saints. It's possible that McNair will let Capers stay one more year to "right the ship." It's scary but it could happen.
You have to remember that this is really the fifth year. Can't remember who pointed that out earlier, and I had forgotten it myself, but the first year started in 2001, when Capers was hired to get his staff together and get everything set for the expansion draft, etc. The first season was year two, and things looked pretty good. Last year things began to unravel and it's only gotten worse. We've seen no indication that this season can be salvaged. Carroll might be a decent choice, but a lot of us think Gary Kubiack would be better. Also, he has local ties to this area, or at least has in the past.
Old 10-22-2005   #15
Bassinguy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
Tell me that you guys didn't see the fork sticking out of Dom ??????

He's done!

bobby 119C :brickwall
Looks like a pitchfork to me.
Old 10-22-2005   #16
cadahnic
All Pro

Capers is gone and he will likely find a place with another team as a LB coach or D-Coordinator consultant.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #17
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill

Besides armchair QBs and writers, who said his job is in jeopardy in the first place? Everything I hear from McNair has been very supportive.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #18
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean mark8
But several writers (I'm thinking SI, though I am sure there are others) are already predicting Tice and Hasslet's doom. Some people think Tice may go before the end of the season. The only guarantee IMO is that Capers is out with 8 losses.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #19
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassinguy
You have to remember that this is really the fifth year.
That's a stretch.
Old 10-22-2005   #20
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
Even before the season began, Capers was listed as one of the NFL coaches on the hot seat. It would take a winning season to keep him here. Colts win does nothing for that. I don't think anything has changed. Unless he gets a winning season, Capers is out.
According to who? Perhaps those crazy fans with unrealistic expectations, but I think everyone who had some rationality in them would agree that an 8-8 season would be an improvement once again and would be the first non-losing season in the Texans history.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read