Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2005   #21
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Nighthawk fall out of the Seattles' Hawk Nest?
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #22
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
Fairweather fans ... don't go to games.
They do and they don't -- they did and they won't -- and they will again.

Look around on Sunday and look at all the blue and red plastic. Compare that to last year's Colts game. That will give you a good idea of the FWF % in our fanbase - although this game might draw a few more fans to the stadium because of Battle Red and a quality opponent. If the Texans were playing the Cardinals this week the stadium would be half empty.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #23
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Boycott, smoycott..

This has to be the dumbest idea I have heard yet. If for 0ne second you don't think McNair and Co want a winning team, you are crazy. I don't boo, and I will NEVER boycott my team. I may not spend as much and may even leave before the 4th quarter is over, but to suggest that we not go entirely is blame ignorance....

Have a good day...
Old 10-21-2005   #24
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

One of the main problems is the high number of transplant residents in Houston. A lot of people might cheer for Houstons teams, but they just don't have the diehard feeling of it. My parents came here from Georgia like in '83 or so and while they are season ticket holders and go to almost all the games, they don't just live and breathe it. I mean hell prior to Houston they were huge Braves fans, so atleast they've come this far I guess.

We'll still go to as many games as we can (might miss the Thanksgiving game if we aren't back in time from GA) but a lot of people just give up on the team if it isn't performing. Just look at the Astros a few months ago. Hopefully too many didn't get run over by the chariot wheels as they tried to pile back onto the bandwagon.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #25
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I think that 10 minutes of silence with a completely filled stadium would get his attention faster. Just my opinion. Sometimes situations have to get worse before they get better.
Old 10-21-2005   #26
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
I think that 10 minutes of silence with a completely filled stadium would get his attention faster. Just my opinion. Sometimes situations have to get worse before they get better.
Now thats not a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #27
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Beat your chests all you want. Puff yourselves up all you want. Point fingers at FANS all you want because they aren't JUST LIKE YOU. To me, you're just re-directing YOUR anger with this team's performance and this owner's performance toward the fans like me that won't drink your kool aid and follow you off the cliff. Supplant your homer attitudes for a minute with a dose of reality. And the reality is this: Bud Adams didn't punish the fans by moving the team because the fans didn't "support the team." He's a greedy turdlet who didn't get what he wanted form the city, so he took his toys and went to someone else's house to play. Let's get that straight. To say the Oilers left because fans didn't support them during the rough times is absurd. Bud Adams is Bud Adams and he'll do to Tennessee what he did to us. Period. It's a character flaw HE has and will always have when he doesn't get his way. So stop playing that card just to try and make a point for yourself.

I don't want to be "just like you." I don't go along with the crowd to just go along with the crowd. As I see this situation, I see a team that has had 2-3 years of slow progress with the wheels coming off in week 17 of last season, and I see an owner who is trying to duct tape and bailing wire (patch) the team instead of starting the process right now even if it's for the interim until offseason. And I see TONS of fans here who, during the preseason, BLASTED fans like me who tried to raise the warning flag and give you all a heads up that all was not well in H-Town. I got called names (publicly on this board) by some of you REAL fans, I got private messages from posters who cussed me and called me a "waste," (Caddy) and I was right while you were wrong. So, obviously being honest AND being right is not allowed here by the chest beating real fan-not a real fan crowd. If beating down posters who challenge the status quo is what elevates yourself and makes you feel better about yourself, then go ahead. Cause really, that's all I think it is. When you ridicule fans who you say are "not real, true fans" it just confirms to me that I don't want to be inside your circle to begin with. You act as if you are the finest of the finest, and it's just arrogance to do so.

I'm not purchasing Texans merchandise. But I will watch them play on TV. I, too, paid $250 for DirecTV's Sunday ticket and I'm going to watch the Texans all game no matter what happens. My personal philosophy is to avoid pumping my own money into the Texans' organization as long as the owner fails to put forth an honest effort to correct this team.

Whether it's pride that is keeping McNair from dismissing Capers, or whether it's him trying to be a class guy with keeping Capers around to the end of the year, I really don't care what McNair's motivation is for keeping Capers so long this season. The only thing I am looking for right now is for this owner to pull the trigger and to pull it sooner than later. There is absolutely NOTHING positive that will happen by keeping Capers to the end of the season. It's an old wives tale that says you can't change HC's mid-season.

McNair owns the team, and frankly it appears to me that right now he's not sure what to do. And that's OK, and I know he might not be willing to admit that he doesn't know what to do right now. So be it. It's a lot of pressure for a guy like him to NOT make more bad decisions that basically got us here where we're at today. To me, and I know it's not my job to fix it, but to me there's not much to "fix." The first step is getting rid of a lame duck coach that nobody admires anymore. YOU ARE ALL proving that you agree with that statement by the Fire Capers CLub avatars, and the all the docotored photos of Capers with flies coming out of his mouth, or with a bass fish mouth over his real mouth to mock his famous "duh" look on the sideline. Fans are the most honest evaluators of talent and progress or lack of progress that you can get.

Just as nature has a food chain, so does pro sports. And voting with your wallet gets the attention of people like McNair. Keep giving him your money for Texans t-shirts, and the retail sales dept. of the Texans' organization will tell McNair that "The fans seem to be patient enough with sales falling slightly but still holding steady despite the team's record...." and a guy like McNair will sit and wait patiently until the end of the season...and then you risk him KEEPING Capers for one more year.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2005   #28
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

A true fan sticks by his team through thick and thin. Go ahead and boycott and as a matter of fact dont come back. You actually think this boycott idea will point anything out that hasnt been? Our record is 0-5. I beleive that says enough.

GO TEXANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #29
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip
...do your grand kids at least try and seem like they are glad you are there or do they charge you a bunch of money and don't even try??
It's real simple. They either give it their all, 100%, or MawMaw closes down the bank! As it should be with the Texans! I believe Bob McNair knows exactly who is out there just for the money, vs the one's who really care and want the team to succeed. Unfortunately, our brilliant GM and HC chose to get rid of true leaders and replace them with moochers. We are ALL paying the price for that decision this year! Give me a veteran who is a little slow, but a true leader and team motivator, anyday over some loud mouthed punk who doesn't know right from left! JMO guys! Don't blame the team completely for what our supposedly brilliant GM and HC has done!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #30
Gunbuny
Rookie

As some of you have probably heard before, I grew up in Phoenix, AZ. From the moment I discovered football, I was an Oilers fan. When the Oilers left Houston and became the Titans, no one developed a stronger hate for them than me. When it was announced that Houston was granted another franchise, no one was happier than me. Due to financial reasons, The chances of me going to a Texans game are incredibly slim. However I will ALWAYS be at my neighborhood sports bar in my David Carr jersey or Dunta Robinson jersey (on Battle Red games) cheering and yelling for my team. You guys have it so good. I have NEVER been able to attend a Houston game and would figuratively kill for the opportunity. If I can in support these guys from a sports bar in Phoenix, you guys in Houston HAVE got to in person!!!!!!!! It sickens me that people wanna boycott. REAL fans support their team through thick and thin PERIOD!
Gunbuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #31
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9
All I can say is that this is sad, very sad. You guys in Houston have the opportunity to go watch your home team play the great sport of NFL football,
Hey, they aren't playing football, that's the point.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #32
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
We have some pretty embarrassing fans here in Houston. People across the country think we are only front runners...and I think they are right about a big segment of you.
Nobody's front running here, friend.

According to you it's OK to bash the team and the coaches and the QB, but we shouldn't express this in any dynamic way for fear of . . . whoops.

Logic freeze.
Old 10-21-2005   #33
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Fans that want to boycott the team due to some losses are frontrunners. That's just how it is.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #34
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
A true fan sticks by his team through thick and thin.
A TRUE FAN supports the team by calling the cards as they fall. If the team is cruddy & coaches and GM gotta go, the TRUE FAN takes the necessary action to get the message across. Otherwise the TRUE FAN is a herd animal too fond of his Sunday afternoon outing to care whether his team is doing all it can to get better.
Old 10-21-2005   #35
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
although this game might draw a few more fans to the stadium because of Battle Red and a quality opponent. If the Texans were playing the Cardinals this week the stadium would be half empty.
Actually, I was thinking we'd get MORE fans to show against Arizona. Fans like to show up when a "W" is more likely.
disaacks3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #36
Gunbuny
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
A TRUE FAN supports the team by calling the cards as they fall. If the team is cruddy & coaches and GM gotta go, the TRUE FAN takes the necessary action to get the message across. Otherwise the TRUE FAN is a herd animal too fond of his Sunday afternoon outing to care whether his team is doing all it can to get better.
Oh When I said a true fan sticks with his team no matter what, I did not mean to grab a big ol' glass of koolaide. It is ok to voice an opinion about the coaches, GM, owner, and especially players, but you REMAIN a fan. You boo when poor play occurs, you gripe when bad draft picks are made, you voice your displeasure over bad trades (that WAS a shot at the driftwood wearing jersey#31), parents express their unhappiness when their child does something they don't like, but YOU DON'T ABANDON THE KID!!!! Unlike some of the other owners in the NFL, we got lucky and we got a businessman. He understands if he provides us with a poor product, he can't turn a profit. He is not like the Bidwill family. I think McNair will realize if he wants folks to renew those PSL's and season tickets, he better put together a winning product. Remember,over a billion dollars were spent to get this franchise running. He is not some billionaire's son (Michael Bidwill) who has no appreciation of the work and effort it took to get this thing off the ground. Stand by your team when they finally make it to the Superbowl, it will be 100x sweeter because you stuck it out through the hard times.
Gunbuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #37
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
From his news brief I'm thinking McNair does not "get it" yet. So I'm thinking what about a boycott of this week's game, or a walkout, semi organized, 10 minutes in. I'm thinking that if a significant number of people refused to attend or got up and walked out, well, McNair, and everyone else would get the message in a hurry. Their offering us bad rations here, folks. I say we don't eat.
That's fine. Please send me your tickets if you really plan to do this. I know lotsa folks who would love to use them.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #38
Tayton
Veteran

Personally, it doesn't matter to me what others do. People have spent their hard earned money on a bad product and if they choose not to go it sends a message. If they choose to boo, I've got no problem with that either. It's not a problem that's indicative of Houston. It happens all over the country. I've lived in several major markets and it happens all over. The White Sox couldn't give away tickets in the beginning of the year and now look. The fact is our team is bad, very bad, and its disappointing. I for one will be there wearing red and hoping to cheer a bunch.
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #39
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan
Just exactly what does Bob McNair "not get!'? What exactly do you want to boycott? The team, the coaches, Bob McNair himself, the administration, the stadium, the diehard fans, the water boy?? If a significant number of people refused to attend or got up and walked out, WELL, people would just think they were either staying home to prepare to party for the Astro's game, or they were just getting up to buy a beer. Bob McNair has already gotten the message!! That's why he is pleading with the fans not to let the team down, to be there Sunday all decked out in red and be so loud we reek havok on the Colts. We've done it before, so why not now!!!? This is MY team and I choose to support it, through good times and bad!! I don't refuse to go to my grandson's ballgames just because he sucks, or to my granddaughters dance recital because it's boring as hell!! If you support something you do it 100%, if not, hit the road and find another team to jump ship on. JMO!

Good post Grandma!!!!!!!
Myself I am not forking out $1800.. for PSLs and $1600.00 a year for tickets and parking. Plus what I spend in gas from Baytown, booze and food for tailgating to sit at home or walk out of the stadium. I spend this because I am a die hard fan and elect to support the Texans.

Yes I am disappointed in the team right now, but remember the years when we didn't have a team to cheer for!!!

Yep it would be nice to have a playoff team or even a competetive one right now. the "I live for Sunday" holds true to me. There is more than just having a winning team. I enjoy the guys getting together for some eating and drinking while tailgating. Yelling till you are hoarse at the game. I have had the opportunity to see some GREAT players play the game, normally you wouldn't (except on TV) if we didn't have NFL in Houston. I have got to see Farve, Moss, Sapp, Rice, RSmith, JSmith, PManning, Edge, Culpepper, etc just to name a few. As a true football fan it is awesome to me to be able to see such players as these play the game in your hometown and more to the game than just winning!

Like I said, it would be nice to have a winner to yell for, right now we are not, but like the movie, "build it and they will come". Might take a little longer than we thought!

Just not ready to try to cover up my Texan logo tattoo on my leg, right now or "boycott" the team or the Texan organization. He(McNair) knows we are messed up at this moment and doesn't need an attention getter. The 0-5 record is attention getter enough for him!

SEE YA SUNDAY!!!!!!!

bobby 119C :brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #40
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Even in defeat, I will be there.

Another thought....If the Texans give a good effort (even if they lose) we should ALL show our appreciation by standing and applauding when the players leave the field. I do this for every game that they give 100 %. At some of the recent games, I have stood silent for exiting players (Not much of a boo'er).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read