Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2005   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default Boycott?

From his news brief I'm thinking McNair does not "get it" yet. So I'm thinking what about a boycott of this week's game, or a walkout, semi organized, 10 minutes in. I'm thinking that if a significant number of people refused to attend or got up and walked out, well, McNair, and everyone else would get the message in a hurry. Their offering us bad rations here, folks. I say we don't eat.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #2
cyanides
Rookie

That is a great idea. I say we boycott all together. Everyone who is with nighthawk and me should send me your tickets........You know so your not tempted to go come 10am sunday. Just out of curiosity, anyone boycotting have tickets on the 50yd line. I wasn't asking for any reason in peticular, just curious...
cyanides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
From his news brief I'm thinking McNair does not "get it" yet. So I'm thinking what about a boycott of this week's game, or a walkout, semi organized, 10 minutes in. I'm thinking that if a significant number of people refused to attend or got up and walked out, well, McNair, and everyone else would get the message in a hurry. Their offering us bad rations here, folks. I say we don't eat.
This idea has been posted before. That would just show how much of a fan you really are by boycotting. I guess some can't handle it when things get rough. If you "don't want to eat" I guess you aren't that hungry. See you on the bandwagon in the future I guess.

Last edited by texan279; 10-21-2005 at 03:41 AM.
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #4
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just exactly what does Bob McNair "not get!'? What exactly do you want to boycott? The team, the coaches, Bob McNair himself, the administration, the stadium, the diehard fans, the water boy?? If a significant number of people refused to attend or got up and walked out, WELL, people would just think they were either staying home to prepare to party for the Astro's game, or they were just getting up to buy a beer. Bob McNair has already gotten the message!! That's why he is pleading with the fans not to let the team down, to be there Sunday all decked out in red and be so loud we reek havok on the Colts. We've done it before, so why not now!!!? This is MY team and I choose to support it, through good times and bad!! I don't refuse to go to my grandson's ballgames just because he sucks, or to my granddaughters dance recital because it's boring as hell!! If you support something you do it 100%, if not, hit the road and find another team to jump ship on. JMO!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

If a significant number of people refused to attend, it would probably convince the NFL and the rest of the country that Bud was right. Maybe it wasn't the owner after all.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #6
crazy4u310
Rookie

No need to boycott. If you are a true fan you stick with your team no matter what. I get so much harrasment from my friends here in New Jersey that its very frustrating but I still go to the bar every sunday in my Carr or Johnson Jersey or whatever and support my team. I just get to watch the game on TV most of the time but I went to Buffalo and cheered for them there and I went to Jets game last year and cheered for them there and also came to Houson to cheer for them against the Colts. All im saying is you can be mad at the coaches and owners and players but come sunday you better be there to support them.
crazy4u310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

The logic of "It doesn't help to boycott" is wrong, IMO.

The ONLY way you let a business know that you're completely dissatisfied and will not purchase their products and/or services until they do certain things is to not purchase their products and/or services until they do certain things that you request.

Otherwise, supporting them with your dollars is a vote of confidence and a stamp of approval upon what the business is doing. Business is business, and it comes down to the almighty dollar. Without money, a business is not in business. McNair should feel the pinch and then be forced to give this team a better look than what he has. I'm glad he's brought football back to Houston, and I'm happy with the facilities, the character of the organization, and the logos and all the other fluff that's part of a pro sports team. But all of that is for nothing if you can't field a competitive team. The embarassment I feel right now, mostly because our owner is putting off to tomorrow what he could do today (fire Capers) is hard to stand.

I won't stop watching them on TV. Watching them on TV does not give the Texans money. I will not be purchasing Texans gear.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2005   #8
texan_fan
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to texan_fan

I think, on some level, McNair *gets it*. He's asking us to stand behind our team.

Sure, it helps his bottom line, but I think the man actually cares about what's going on.

It's easy to be disappointed and frustrated as a football fan in Houston. Haven't the Oilers years proven that?

But you can't take it out on the team...or you'll lose them.

If David Carr can get on National TV with the attitude *we CAN win* after all he's been through, then I, for one, can stand up an support them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT happy with their performance this year. But we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Sure, we can speculate all we want about who's not doing their job and why, but we don't KNOW.

Yes, I want them to succeed. Yes, I expected more. Yes, I have been disgusted by what I've seen ( and NOT seen ) on the field. But we've been spoiled. We started off on a path that seemed to get better every year. They're stalled. Instead of boycotting, we need to get behind them. I know how frustrated I am...I can't imagine how it must be for them. It takes a lot of courage to walk through that tunnel every week and face a hostile crowd...they shouldn't have to do that AT HOME.

So they go 0-16 this year...big deal. Those are MY GUYS out on that field, and I'll be there for every home game.

You want to boycott, fine. Send me your tickets and I'll make sure someone goes who actually CARES.
Old 10-21-2005   #9
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread =

I think everyone who wants to boycott, should boycott.

That much closer the real fans can move up.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We have some pretty embarrassing fans here in Houston. People across the country think we are only front runners...and I think they are right about a big segment of you.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #11
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 926 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected

I for one just bought a brand new BATTLE RED jersey for my husband! And we will proudly wear them to the BATTLE RED game Sunday!

Boycott/Bull******
Old 10-21-2005   #12
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Quote:
Looks like a TROLL to me

Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #13
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

All I can say is that this is sad, very sad. You guys in Houston have the opportunity to go watch your home team play the great sport of NFL football, and complain about it. I don't live in Houston anymore, but every single day, I wear a Texans or Astros hat or shirt, and take a ribbing because I am a Texans fan. Every Sunday, I am down at the sports bar watching the game. I watch the game to the end no matter what the score. I was in Houston for the Oilers years, and was embarrassed by the BOYCOTTING fans then. All the boycotting did back then was lose the city a team. I plan on moving back to Houston when I can, and I hope there is still a team there for me to root for when I make it. I am a Texans fan. I might be upset about the way they play and the way they are coached, but I will not give up on my team.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #14
SESupergenius

You can rant all you want here and quit buying Texans accessories and clothing to get the message across, but don't boycott the team or boo. I've shelled out over $250 bucks for DirectTV just to watch the Texans and I'll be doing that all season, win or lose.
Old 10-21-2005   #15
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

While I am not pleased with the Texnas play so far this season, I am even more disgusted about the fans in Houston. Some of you on these message boards have stuck with the Texans and I applaud you, but the rest of you are making me sick with all these complaints. If you have such a problem with the team then stop buying tickets and wasting your money and let other people have them. I've only lived here for a couple years but the fans here are such fair-weather fans. All I heard on the radio after game 5 of the NLCS was how the Astros choked and they were going to lose the series because they lost that one game. Look what happened and now all of those people are back on the bandwagon. What happened to people sticking with their teams?

P.S. Again, thanks to those of you who have stuck with the Texans thru this rough start, and GO ASTROS!

MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #16
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan
Just exactly what does Bob McNair "not get!'? What exactly do you want to boycott? The team, the coaches, Bob McNair himself, the administration, the stadium, the diehard fans, the water boy?? If a significant number of people refused to attend or got up and walked out, WELL, people would just think they were either staying home to prepare to party for the Astro's game, or they were just getting up to buy a beer. Bob McNair has already gotten the message!! That's why he is pleading with the fans not to let the team down, to be there Sunday all decked out in red and be so loud we reek havok on the Colts. We've done it before, so why not now!!!? This is MY team and I choose to support it, through good times and bad!! I don't refuse to go to my grandson's ballgames just because he sucks, or to my granddaughters dance recital because it's boring as hell!! If you support something you do it 100%, if not, hit the road and find another team to jump ship on. JMO!
...do your grand kids at least try and seem like they are glad you are there or do they charge you a bunch of money and don't even try??
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #17
profan
Veteran

This is just pathetic, i rate some of you fans at the same level i rate the performance of this team. You think our owner does not want to win. We get another team in houston and when the going gets tough you want to boycott. you as a fan are a complete loser. Stay away for good. I'd rather see empty seats in the stadium than a bunch of loser fans booing.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #18
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I think some of you need to reevaluate your definition of fairweather fans. The fans in this city are pretty knowledgeable, for the most part, and very passionate about football. What I see from the fans on this board is a very passionate response to the current situation. Fairweather fans don't come to this board. They don't go to games. They don't watch games on TV. They don't discuss the team at the watercooler. They wait until the team is winning, then they come out of the woodwork and claim to have been a fan all along.

While we may disagree on the manner in which we express our displeasure with the team, ultimately we are all true fans and still care about our team, or we wouldn't be in such angst over all this. Though I may disagree with many of you on your points of view and responses to certain events, I consider the people on this board to be fans that care.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj
If a significant number of people refused to attend, it would probably convince the NFL and the rest of the country that Bud was right. Maybe it wasn't the owner after all.
BAM! Nail on the head. Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
We have some pretty embarrassing fans here in Houston. People across the country think we are only front runners...and I think they are right about a big segment of you.
Double BAM! No doubt about it. I agree 100%.

You fairweather fans go ahead and get out of the kitchen if you can't take the heat.

Winning and losing are two sides of the same coin. And I have NO DOUBT that our owner completely understands our displeasure at a losing team, as I'm sure that the feeling is mutual. He wants a winning product as much as we do, and I'm opting for being patient and looking at the big picture.
Old 10-21-2005   #20
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
Yea pay money and leave, that is smart, that will show them.
That sounds alot like the truck drivers that were boycotting gas prices by driving around the cities freeways. I bet the gas companies were laughing their ***** off. You have to use their product to boycott their product. I wish I was that smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read