Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2005   #21
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default Good article about O-line in Seattle game

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ram...p?p=3073&cat=5
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #22
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I'm not trying to make Pitts out to be a great lineman, but for the Texans, he is one of our better linemen. I have heard before that he and Wand actually get along well, so I do not think that line psychology is a reason for Wand's absence. The Mystery of the Missing Wand is one of the strangest conundrums of this staff. I believe that if they had Wand for the first four games, the o-line would have been better anchored and they would not have been blown out of the water. This would have had a domino effect on the rest of the team. Would it have prevented an 0-2 start? I doubt it. But would they have had a better shot at Cinci and Tenn? My guess (and it can only be a conjecture at this point) is probably. My reaosning is that the Texans' defense is too new to be effective this year, and Capers knew he would be relying on an offense rather than a defense for the first time as a Texan. That is why he brought in a "veteran" to anchor the line. The offense can move the ball if Carr is protected. Without Wand on the line, they lost their protection and the ability to move the ball.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #23
SESupergenius

All I got to say is, wow. That was one of the best reads I've seen about this o-line. A complete, unbiased, unhomered look at our offensive line. And Imagine that, they come up with the same conclusion, Our o-line and passing protections stink.

But hey, let's blame Carr.
Old 10-21-2005   #24
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
All I got to say is, wow. That was one of the best reads I've seen about this o-line. A complete, unbiased, unhomered look at our offensive line. And Imagine that, they come up with the same conclusion, Our o-line and passing protections stink.

A lot of us have taken a lot of heat with respect to saying the zone blocking scheme is the problem. The comments in this article really say perhaps it really is. Its an implimentation and personnel problem. Again Capers and Pendry are trying to fit square pegs in round holes. Its the childish I want a Denver type running game and I will get come hell or high water. The inability to adapt to your personnel is the failing of this staff and has been all along. An even bigger victum has been Carr and AJ is right in their too. The O-line is but a small part of the whole picture.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #25
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Been trying to give you rep for your new avatar, but I need to pass it around. Can't stop chuckling every time I read one of your posts from your avatar and your 180 degree opinion from mine.
Old 10-21-2005   #26
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What conclusion has anyone else come up with concerning the OL?
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #27
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

The article is good but it forgets to take something into account. LINE PLAY is as more about moving as ONE. That's why its always talked about like that. As is D-line play. You must move in unison. Know what the other is doing and NOT doing for that matter.
Old 10-21-2005   #28
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
STOP GOING WITH THE ZONE BLOCKING SCHEME. IT ISN'T WORKING!!!
Every team uses the zone blocking scheme. It is a matter of 25% to 40% to 75% depending on the team. In fact, some teams which are not known as zone blocking team, actually use in the same proportion as the Texans or other teams which are considered zone blocking. It is a term that some of you have locked on to. Sort of the West Coast Offense of blocking schemes.

BTW, I have my glasses. Normal type please.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #29
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Every team uses the zone blocking scheme. It is a matter of 25% to 40% to 75% depending on the team. In fact, some teams which are not known as zone blocking team, actually use in the same proportion as the Texans or other teams which are considered zone blocking. It is a term that some of you have locked on to. Sort of the West Coast Offense of blocking schemes.

BTW, I have my glasses. Normal type please.
May be true what you say, but our players apparently don't understand it. Our players are standing around waiting for someone to come into their zone. Remember, guard your Zone with vigor, but don't step out of your zone. All I can say is we started using the zone and it was all downhill from there. Like it or not that is the facts................. Could be the coaching though couldn't it? Defense is in a zone also. Could be the coaching though couldn't it? I still say dust off the year 2 playbook and have at it. Do what we were doing offensively in year 2 and see if things don't get better. At least the other team will wonder what we are doing.............................. Course they might be wondering what we are doing now, because we are not executing the way we are suppose to. The other team knows are offense better than we do....
Old 10-22-2005   #30
cadahnic
All Pro

Do you not remember that we sucked in year 2. I mean why go back to year 2 cause Carr only got saked 36 times. Big damn deal we still were losing games. I dont care if Carr is getting sacked or we only score 3 damn points per game as long as we win. Winning is all that matters and going back to a time when we sucked is not gonna get the job done.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #31
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
Do you not remember that we sucked in year 2. I mean why go back to year 2 cause Carr only got saked 36 times. Big damn deal we still were losing games. I dont care if Carr is getting sacked or we only score 3 damn points per game as long as we win. Winning is all that matters and going back to a time when we sucked is not gonna get the job done.
We were in a lot of games and people were looking forward to year 3. I think it was our best offensive year overall, because we played an extemely hard schedule. We had one of the toughest schedules that year. We played the Colts and the Patriots down to the wire. Say what you want, but I believe we were on track to become a very good team and we had the draft coming up and we did what we did that year despite a catastrophic number of injuries. That was a bigger factor in year 2 than anything else. Everyone was looking forward to us being injury free to begin the 3rd year. We had a lot of young people step up and we though we had the makings of a real good team.
Old 10-23-2005   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391219 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
Do you not remember that we sucked in year 2. I mean why go back to year 2 cause Carr only got saked 36 times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
We were in a lot of games and people were looking forward to year 3. I think it was our best offensive year overall
Good question cadahnic. Let's see if Ibar is correct this time:

2003 Offense--237 1st downs, 31% 3rd down conversion, 4306 total yds, 896 plays, 1651 rushing yds, 2655 passing yds, 18 field goals, 29 TD's, 29th scoring offense and 27:39 TOP.
2004 Offense--300 1st downs, 38% 3rd down conversion, 5128 total yds, 1001 plays, 1882 rushing yds, 3246 passing yds, 17 field goals, 37 TD's, 21st scoring offense and 29:59 TOP.

Well, I guess if you would give up the improvements in every single category except field goals for one extra field goal, then yup Ibar is correct, 2003 was better.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read