Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What if preseason started differently?

Cjeremy635

Overtraining
Stay with me for a minute....and think about this theory. Remember at the start of the preseason our team was so fired up with expectations and thought the kinks were worked out of the system. The first preseason game the O took the ball down the field and looked good doing it. The starting D looked pretty solid as well at that point. As the games went on and our O stayed in a little longer, the turnovers started to appear. I feel like our team never recovered from the shattered confidence of not finishing drives off in the preseason and the product we watch today is a direct result of that. That breakdown is contagious and has spread through our team like mold on bread. Just kicking this around a bit, and I know this board is full of "what if", but I sure would like to see what would have been had we had the confidence of a good preseason behind us coming into game 1. :crying:

Coach C. said:
Go back to Week 17 to do the What if.

I agree with Coach on this one, but for probably a different reason. At the end of last season we had 2 good wins - @ Chicago & @ Jacksonville. Then we lost to Cleveland in the final game. The biggest thing I remember from the Cleveland game was how the team "mailed it in". The Texans had an opportunity to be 8-8 but instead, had a lack luster performance and settled on a 7-9 season. This is the first game the PLAYERS quit in and I see this as the beginning of the end. Next came a bad off-season, bad preseason, and now we have a bad start to the season.

Quitting is a disease and it’s very contagious!

I see where your coming from and to a extent I agree with your theory. I had higher hopes of the texans this year as i'm sure most people did and now I dont but maybe next season we will find the vaccine to this so called disease and finally do the unthinkable "win 2 in a row"

Indy was 0-5 this preseason, so should they be 0-6 now. To me the preseason games are a crock. They are for more injuries and more $$$$$$$$ in the owners pocket. Four preseason games every year is a joke!

bobby 119C :brickwall

It started way before this preseason. 3 wins in the past 14 games. 2 against horrible teams and 1 against Jax. In those games Carr has passed for over 200 yards 1 time.

The problems started almost a full season ago. Nothing was done in the offseason and we are where we are today... a regressing team that is now the laughing stock of the league.

touttail said:
Indy was 0-5 this preseason, so should they be 0-6 now. To me the preseason games are a crock.
Yes & No. Yes because the final score of each game and the W-L record for
the Presseason are unimportant and may or may not be indicative of the W-L
record in the Regular season. No in that its very important what the starting
O & D units look like in preseason when they are in the game, especially in the last couple preseason games right before the beginning of the regular season.

:brickwall When you look at the Cleveland game and the last two preseason games from a different angle (which we are now ) they are a bad team with guys just drawing a paycheck .
If they had a drawing a check team I nominate Marcus Coleman as the defensive captain . On offense I'll go with the tandem of Pitts and Mckinney .

I think those first two preseason games, when our first team offense was very efficient and just trotted down the field on the first possession of both of those first two games, was a complete fakery.

It was scripted (the plays) and that's why it looked so good. It had been practiced, and so all the players had been through the dress rehearsals (practices leading up to those two preseason games) and each player knew exactly what to do, how to execute each play, etc.

But then you throw those plays out the window, and you try to spend the remaining 98% of the game with adjustments and new plays being called, and the playcalling/adjustments were the wrong call, blockers lost focus, Carr lost focus, WRs lost focus, and the blame-game began.

It's easy to script some plays and march down the field when all 11 players are on the same page because they all practiced the first possession's plays. But throw in the defense's adjustments, and your initial set of plays you use become sniffed out and antiquated against an adjusting and adapting defense. And therefore our Texans coaching staff is half the problem because it makes incorrect adjustments: Capers calls a run, Palmer calls a pass, Capers gets to call his FB dive, Palmer gets to run the trick play, back and forth, back and forth, and the teams catch onto running formations and passing formations, for example.

Because if internal politics and ineptitude in the area of playcalling and adjustments, it placed the offense and the defense at a very distinct disadvantage. As a player, you ran those scripted plays perfectly and they worked. But now, it's almost half-time and I'm receiving the play call from the sideline and as Wong or Carr I'm thinking, "What?! That's not going to work. Why is that being called? Geeez..." and I call the play and it doesn't work and every player on the field gets very frustrated with the coaching staff's inability to correctly adjust on the fly, in a real game situation.

All heads are lost. Complete lack of confidence by the players in terms of trusting their coaches, and then they begin to look different at each other, etc. It's just sad, because this team was competitive before week 17 last year, but something snapped and the players are just refusing to buy into the coaching staff's philosophy.

I think that's what happened. Week 17 of last season was the breaking point, and the offseason didn't help because it gave time for it to get washed away amidst empty promises by Texans coaching staff that this season would be different, etc, etc., and the real problems that existed all these years were unveiled after the second preseason game this year. That's when it was apparent that week 17 was not a fluke. It was the last straw for Texans players who were already overcoming the poor coaching and actually gutting out wins last season...and they just simply have decided to stop being an accessory to the crime that is the Texans coaching staff. You can play along for awhile, but when you see that you're being used...you wise up and stop trying so hard because it was JUST your trying hard in the first place that kept last season from looking more like this season.

That's my view.

Pre-season is fool's gold.

Too many great teams have "bad" pre-season records to really make much out of it (and by the same token, many losing teams have "good" pre-seasons).

Now, don't get me wrong. I think the pre-season can be useful, especially the attitude and practice of running plays. But it's not the be all/end all of a regular season by any measure.

The switch didn't flip before or during the Cleveland game. The symptoms for what ails us now were quite evident during several earlier games, especially the Denver, NYJ, and Indy road games.

nunusguy said:
Yes & No. Yes because the final score of each game and the W-L record for
the Presseason are unimportant and may or may not be indicative of the W-L
record in the Regular season. No in that its very important what the starting
O & D units look like in preseason when they are in the game, especially in the last couple preseason games right before the beginning of the regular season.

That's my point exactly! The preseason W-L and scores mean nothing. The thread was saying that we had a bad pre-season therefore we are having a bad season. With the Colts going 0-5 in preseason doesn't mean they should be doing bad during the regular season.

bobby 119C

Back