Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2005   #21
wrestler4life
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Because Kubiak has a track record of success everywhere he has been. Look at what he has done in Denver with an average QB, average RB, and average WR's this season. You say you are going on what Bronco fans said, would you listen to every fan on this board? Denver is 12th in the league in total offense this season, with Plummer at QB and really only one good WR, if that's "not doing anything with the offense" then what do you call our offensive performance this season?
Yeah, but they have anything but an average line. I would LOVE to have their line, as I am sure that Carr would
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #22
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestler4life
Yeah, but they have anything but an average line. I would LOVE to have their line, as I am sure that Carr would
They have a good C and LT, the rest of their line is solid, but not elite. The line play really has nothing to do with their WR's though.
Old 10-19-2005   #23
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I'd be OK with Fisher, Kubiak, or Gray, in that order. I wouldn't be terribly excited about Haslett.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #24
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm thinking that if they go with an older more experienced coach I'd like them to try and talk Jimmy Johnson off of his boat.

If they pick up a coordinator from someone else then Gray from Buffalo or Kubiak from Denver would not upset me. I am sure there are other equally talented assistants out there that we aren't even talking about.

Finally if they hire a coach who gets fired this off season I'm all for Jeff Fisher. the Titans would be fools to let him go (and they won't so it's a moot point). I have no interest in Haslett.
Old 10-19-2005   #25
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I'm thinking that if they go with an older more experienced coach I'd like them to try and talk Jimmy Johnson off of his boat.

If they pick up a coordinator from someone else then Gray from Buffalo or Kubiak from Denver would not upset me. I am sure there are other equally talented assistants out there that we aren't even talking about.

Finally if they hire a coach who gets fired this off season I'm all for Jeff Fisher. the Titans would be fools to let him go (and they won't so it's a moot point). I have no interest in Haslett.
All this talk about Jimmy Johnson but I just don't see him coaching in the NFL again. He's got his rings and now has his cush job. I don't see Fisher leaving either but if he gets canned we should definitely at least make a run at him.

Last edited by texan279; 10-20-2005 at 06:15 AM.
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #26
done88
Veteran

Jeff Fisher sucks and just considering him is spitting in the fans face. He had his team quit before they left Houston. He would not play McNair. Instead we go to see bill joe. He said he did not want to get him hu and that the team around him was not good enough to protect him and the team quit. He does not have the charcter to coach a Houston team.

GO Astros
Old 10-20-2005   #27
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by done88
Jeff Fisher sucks and just considering him is spitting in the fans face. He had his team quit before they left Houston. He would not play McNair. Instead we go to see bill joe. He said he did not want to get him hu and that the team around him was not good enough to protect him and the team quit. He does not have the charcter to coach a Houston team.

GO Astros

I strongly disagree with you. Jeff Fisher is a coach who players play hard for. His team at the time the Oilers left Houston was a disaster that was coming off of 3-4 years of Run and Shoot pass protection and I don't find it even a little bit suspicious that he wouldn't play McNair. Everyone knew right up front that Steve McNair was too raw to be thrown in from day one. If they had you would now probably be able to say that you got to see two sack records set on Houston teams.

That team was long gone before their last season here ever started so don't take it so personal.

I'll take the Jeff Fisher method of QB development over the Dom Capers method any day of the week now that I've had a chance to see the results of both methods.
Old 10-20-2005   #28
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Monte Kiffen
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #29
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
search for Capers' replacement, word is that the two early favorites are Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak and Saints head coach Jim Haslett. :
Kubiak--------yes
Haslet--hellllllll nooooooo!
What has he done for the Saints??? They are still losers!

bobby 119C :brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #30
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Monte Kiffin would be great. But would will help Carr and the offense succeed?

I want an offensive-minded HC and a solid DC. Right now a bag of marshmellows is harder than our run defense.
Old 10-20-2005   #31
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

How DISCREET can they possibly be being if we are sitting here talking about it? They keep secrets like we win football games apparently.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #32
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I want Art Shell to get an honest chance somewhere. Why not here? He was one of the best linemen of all time.
hadaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #33
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Never hire a HC that was average with another team. Only strive for a coach with Superbowl wins or a young coordinator.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Bob Kraft
New England Patriots

Honestly, I'd rather have a different veteran coach (like Fisher, Billick or Johnson) or a fresh coordinator (like Kubiak, Gray or Kiffen) over Haslett as well. The reality is that sometimes situations other than the coach can cause teams to lose. Injuries, owner, GM, lack of talent and ALWAYS playing good can create a system of mediocrity. Is Haslett the victim of a bad situation? I don't know. I would rather not find out after 4 more years of garbage football.

I find it amazing that guys like Jimmy Johnson and Bill Belichick get reputations for being great coaches because they go to Superbowls but when the talent begins to leave (new team or injuries) they appear to be just like any other coach. What could Capers have done with the Cowboys or even the Bills teams of the 90's? Maybe nothing but I'll bet he'd look like a much better HC than he does after failing to succeed at building 2 expansion franchises. Talent makes coaches appear good. Lack of talent can make a coach look bad. Capers isn't as bad as he seems but still needs to go. Is Haslett as bad as he seems or does he just need a fresh start?

Stay tuned...
Old 10-20-2005   #34
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad
I want Art Shell to get an honest chance somewhere. Why not here? He was one of the best linemen of all time.
So is Orlando Pace...why would Pace be a better coach than anyone else?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #35
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Haslett can't even throw a tantrum right, much less coach. I understand he's endured a lot of adversity lately--I'm referring to the years of trying to fit Aaron Brooks' head into a helmet, not the hurricane--but I don't want the Texans to become a team that only plays the last 4 weeks of every season.

(Naturally, I'd kill for 4 weeks of effort from the Texans right now, but maybe next year.)

The coach candidate talk is fun speculation, but it's completely random right now. There's no telling who will be looking for work at the end of this season. The good news is that Houston's set itself up to offer a HC position that offers brand-new facilities, a deep-pockets owner, good cost of living, a Teflon GM, and apparently oceans of patience for lame excuses about losing. Sounds like a plum job to me!
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #36
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HardCoreTxn Send a message via MSN to HardCoreTxn Send a message via Yahoo to HardCoreTxn

Quote:
Originally Posted by done88

GO Astros
You have got to be kidding me!!! the team quit on Bud Adams NOT Jeff, Jeff is the one of the top 5 coaches in this league, if there is any chance in Hell we can get him back here, Bob would be a fool not to grab him up!!

Last edited by HardCoreTxn; 10-20-2005 at 09:45 AM.
HardCoreTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #37
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HardCoreTxn Send a message via MSN to HardCoreTxn Send a message via Yahoo to HardCoreTxn

Jeff Fisher (hc), Kubiak (oc/qbc), Wade Phillips (dc), Carl Mauck (olc)
Bob would have to dig deep in his pockets, but would be nice
Old 10-20-2005   #38
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Hardcore come on kid. Fisher is safe and is likely going to go the route of Cowher with the Titans. The Titans organization believe in him and as long as there personel guy keeps swindling guys like Casserly out of picks they will be just fine. They are probably going to even get another big time player in this years draft that will be the future of that team. Plus they have Volek who is perfect trade bait.

Kubiak HC, Dennison OC/OLC, Jon Hoke DC, Westhoff STC
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #39
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Hardcore come on kid. Fisher is safe and is likely going to go the route of Cowher with the Titans. The Titans organization believe in him and as long as there personel guy keeps swindling guys like Casserly out of picks they will be just fine. They are probably going to even get another big time player in this years draft that will be the future of that team. Plus they have Volek who is perfect trade bait.

Kubiak HC, Dennison OC/OLC, Jon Hoke DC, Westhoff STC
I agree Coach, I dont think Bud will ever let Fisher go, Im just saying if Fisher was to become avalible, Bob would be crazy not to make him an offer and try to get him
Old 10-20-2005   #40
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

You are right if Fisher was available he would likely garner top billing from every organization needing a coach. He refuses to quit and his team plays the same way. Never have to worry about execution if you just make the bad things work.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read