Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2005   #1
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Haslett to Texans?

FWIW This is from profootball.com rumor mill

"Based on discussions with multiple league sources over the past two days, we've concluded that Texans coach Dom Capers and Raiders coach Norv Turner will get the ax at the end of the season, if not sooner.

In Houston, Capers won't be joined in the government cheese line by Texans G.M. Charley Casserly. Casserly, we hear, has been working hard to keep his gig. Owner Bob McNair likes Casserly and will give him a chance to hire a new coach.

Although the Texans already have embarked on a discreet-but-extensive search for Capers' replacement, word is that the two early favorites are Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak and Saints head coach Jim Haslett. Titans coach Jeff Fisher is also in the mix, but the current thinking in league circles is that Fisher will be safe despite a second straight down year in Tennessee."

link

Thoughts anyone?
Lets hope the Budster is true to form.

cac:
Old 10-19-2005   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

He hasn't been a winner so why would they want him? Poor choice.

I'll go with what others have said and express an interest in the Denver coordinator. I've heard high praise about him and they've actually had success.

But Haslett I'd pass on.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #3
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

"the Texans already have embarked on a discreet-but-extensive search for Capers' replacement" and "if not sooner" are very encouraging statements.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #4
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I've never been impressed with Haslett. I'd much rather see Kubiak take the reigns.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #5
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

No thanks on Haslett!! I would rather have Charlie Wiess of Notre Dame. He has won 3 super bowls and helped build an outstanding offense in New England.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #6
ATX_Texan
Veteran

Default Nooooooooooo

Saints have been an under achieving, mistake prone team under this guy. I don't want another recycled loser for the coach. Please let's take a chance on an up and coming coordinator, like Jerry Gray.
ATX_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #7
wenskek
Rookie

i have high hopes that we will offer the job to kubiak.
wenskek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2005   #8
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

bzzzzzt, I'm sorry the answer to "Jim Haslett" needs to be in the form of a question.

What coach does not seem better than the one we have and would cause some Texan fans to jump ship to alternate Texas teams?
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #9
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Just say no to Haslett...His teams have continually underperformed over the years...It's a miracle that he's lasted with the Saints this long...
Old 10-19-2005   #10
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

like i've said time over and over again...i think the right choice right now is an offensive coach that can get this offense and carr on the right track...that's the bottom line...you got a franchise QB, WR, and RB that is struggling because of bad coaching...don't sign a coach that has a history of questionable offense or a d. coordinator that has never worked with the offense before...that's why gary kubiak is the leading canidate
Old 10-19-2005   #11
jags98
Veteran

I would rather have Kubiak than Haslett. Just please dont take Mike Smith(our D coordinator) from us.
jags98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

JERRY GRAY
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #13
Bassinguy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
FWIW This is from profootball.com rumor mill

"Based on discussions with multiple league sources over the past two days, we've concluded that Texans coach Dom Capers and Raiders coach Norv Turner will get the ax at the end of the season, if not sooner.

In Houston, Capers won't be joined in the government cheese line by Texans G.M. Charley Casserly. Casserly, we hear, has been working hard to keep his gig. Owner Bob McNair likes Casserly and will give him a chance to hire a new coach.

Although the Texans already have embarked on a discreet-but-extensive search for Capers' replacement, word is that the two early favorites are Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak and Saints head coach Jim Haslett. Titans coach Jeff Fisher is also in the mix, but the current thinking in league circles is that Fisher will be safe despite a second straight down year in Tennessee."

link

Thoughts anyone?
Lets hope the Budster is true to form.

cac:
I'd take Kubiak over Haslett any time.
Bassinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #14
Bassinguy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenskek
i have high hopes that we will offer the job to kubiak.
You and about a million other Texans fans. I'd like to see an offensive coordinator here as a head coach. Especially one with Kubiak's credentials.
Bassinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #15
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Haslett is the very definition of mediocore. I would rather any unproven coach versus a guy who is always 8-8 plus or minus one game.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #16
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
JERRY GRAY

I don't think that McNair will have another defensive minded coach as his head coach.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #17
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassinguy
I'd take Kubiak over Haslett any time.
I'm not really that high on Kubiak after what a few Bronco fans have told me regarding him...Basically, they said that he hasn't done anything for their offense since the days of Terrell Davis and John Elway...Why do so many people think Kubiak is the right guy for the job?
Old 10-19-2005   #18
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Haslett is the very definition of mediocore. I would rather any unproven coach versus a guy who is always 8-8 plus or minus one game.
I agree. I don't want to see Haslett as the HC of this team. He just doesn't seem to get much out of his teams.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #19
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
.Why do so many people think Kubiak is the right guy for the job?
Because he's the best of the two choices mentioned. Unfortunately, Casserly might survive the chopping block. Who knows though. Maybe GOOD GM's are hard to come by.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #20
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
I'm not really that high on Kubiak after what a few Bronco fans have told me regarding him...Basically, they said that he hasn't done anything for their offense since the days of Terrell Davis and John Elway...Why do so many people think Kubiak is the right guy for the job?
Because Kubiak has a track record of success everywhere he has been. Look at what he has done in Denver with an average QB, average RB, and average WR's this season. You say you are going on what Bronco fans said, would you listen to every fan on this board? Denver is 12th in the league in total offense this season, with Plummer at QB and really only one good WR, if that's "not doing anything with the offense" then what do you call our offensive performance this season?

Last edited by texan279; 10-19-2005 at 11:32 PM.
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read