Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2005   #1
BigBalla1983
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to BigBalla1983 Send a message via MSN to BigBalla1983 Send a message via Yahoo to BigBalla1983
Default McNair Press Briefing

Have you seen his press briefing on our houstontexans.com site. he said that the team could get more enthusiastic if we would show them more support like we used to. Instead of booying them when they do something stupid he want us to cheer and cheer until we cant cheer anymore. then we go and we show the other team that we could cheer for our team.

What do you guys think of his comments?
Old 10-19-2005   #2
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

i think he's deffering us to a different problem (our cheering?) because he doesnt want to talk about the fact we're 0-5.
Old 10-19-2005   #3
Sec321texano
waterboy

Default Cheering!!!!

Me and my wife will be there CHEERING just like any other game UNTIL it gets ugly. Then we will just watch and be HOPEFUL for the next game.

No matter what I STILL LOVE MY TEAM!!!!!
Sec321texano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't buy it. McNair is attempting to use a simple psychological theory called 'Cognitive Dissonance' which states that if you say something outloud enough, you'll eventually believe it (simplified version). You see this a lot with eating disorder research, where girls will say 'Im not fat' over and over and 'Celebrity bodies are airbrushed' and eventually get the idea they can't be perfect. McNair wants us to cheer for the Texans so that we will start to believe that we like them again. He is losing money because people aren't coming to games, aren't paying top dollar for tickets, and aren't purchasing souveniers. If this team seemed to be making any effort (Fonoti anyone?!?) then I would be more apt to show some love. As it is, Im glad their in Houston and all, but this is not a good season.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #5
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Why am I not surprised that this organization is now pointing fingers at us fans. Always an excuse with these guys.

BTW Mr. McNair... if your team plays the way it has been playing all season I will boo my head off... until halftime anyway.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, I just watched the briefing, and I say we give him what he wants. Football is not something every city gets to have. Look at LA. So lets cheer the hell out of the colts. Maybe making some noise will give us an advantage. If we embarass ourselves again, the least we can say is that we did everything we could. Then McNair will be left with no options but to look elsewhere
Old 10-19-2005   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
If this team seemed to be making any effort (Fonoti anyone?!?) then I would be more apt to show some love. As it is, Im glad their in Houston and all, but this is not a good season.
Some people think that Fonoti is crazy...literally. Not only did we pass him up for a 6th, but so did the rest of the NFL. Hard to blame the team for passing on him....we may not know the whole story on that.

On the thread...I watched the tape and I find it hard to believe you guys want to twist sinister overtones on that. Lemmings eventually charge over cliffs you know.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2005   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #9
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Lemmings eventually charge over cliffs you know.
umm no they dont thas a misconception, but i get what u mean.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #10
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Why is cheering for your team a shot at the fans? Isnt that what they are supposed to do? I realize that the team sucks, but they know that also. Changes are coming at the end of the season they cant do anything right now. If I had the bucks Id be there every Sunday right along with you guys getting hoarse and drunk. So make those in my situation proud, lord knows I try and make it so you guys can here me from my house.
Old 10-19-2005   #11
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i think most texan fans have the same mindset...we'll cheer our butts off until the team begins to lose in a manor that is unacceptable...what i mean by that is playing with no heart and it shows...the team hasn't had any heart since the beginning of the season...we look like a boxer that just got punched in the mouth and is still stunned
Old 10-19-2005   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Booing is passé. How about hissing, instead? It’s big in Europe. Plus, it could freak out the Colts. Think about it.
Old 10-19-2005   #13
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Booing is passé. How about hissing, instead? It’s big in Europe. Plus, it could freak out the Colts. Think about it.
That is funny and a great suggestion.

Joe Texan.... get us started on Sunday!
Old 10-19-2005   #14
profan
Veteran

I think he applauded the fans for past support and asked them to come ready to cheer with the roof closed this Sunday. He basically said the fans are important and the team feeds off the fans support. I appreciate his comments and i'm thankful we have a first class owner. I really don't see how someone could find anything negative about his comments. If one does, one must be a really miserable person.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

"If" that's what he said, then we have bigger problems than we first thought.

For an owner to make that comment (which I'm not sure he did) it makes me question how much longer I should follow this team.

I really hope he's not entirely serious, as in saying that CHEERING the bad product we see on the field is going to make things better.

If that's what he meant, then the guy is insane. You can't ask fans to cheer a losing team, especially the way we've been losing. Losing a game on a last-second field goal is one thing. Heck, losing a game in the last two minutes like we did in Cincy is acceptable. But losing the way we have to Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Tennesse, and Seattle is appalling and in no form or fashion deserves a good "cheering" until they show they can play competitive football like they did in Cincy.

I cannot fully believe that McNair is fully serious about cheering instead of booing. This guy would last two seconds in Philadelphia, New England, Pittsburgh, etc. He's just too doggone nice.

So I guess if Pepsi develops a soft drink, and nobody buys it because it tastes bad....Pepsi just continues to throw millions of advertising dollars away to convinve people it tastes good?

And on top of it, now that I think about it, isn't his comment a little arrogant for the OWNER of a team to instruct the people who PAY HIM to see the team play to keep cheering?

Yeah, that's going to win over a lot of Texans fans: "Hey! I'm Bob McNair and I own the Texans! What? You don't like the team right now? Well, uh...how about you keep paying to see them and CHEER them back into proper form? Yeah, that's what we need. If you'll keep cheering, they'll do better. Heck if you'd cheer louder and not boo, they'd get better and more people will buy more tickets and popcorn and Texans souvenirs! Keep cheering guys! We're getting better the louder it gets!"

Please, somebody tell me that his comments were taken out of context by the poster who started this thread.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Some people think that Fonoti is crazy...literally. Not only did we pass him up for a 6th, but so did the rest of the NFL. Hard to blame the team for passing on him....we may not know the whole story on that.
Fonoti may be crazy. He may be a serial murderer, or a loon who ends up scoring for the other team. The thing is, there are 32 teams in the NFL. One gave up a 6th rounder for him, and one was dealing him. That means that 30 teams passed. Of those 30 teams, the Texans have BY FAR the worst offensive line, and needed to take a chance. He has 1 year left on his contract. Lets say there is a 99% chance that he is crazy. Well, that is chance we needed to take. ALl those other teams can AFFORD to pass on someone they think is crazy. We Can't. Simple enough
Old 10-19-2005   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
"If" that's what he said, then we have bigger problems than we first thought...
Yes, let's parse interview answers over and over until we find the subliminal message. Again.

That's the underlying problem on this team. They interview poorly.
Old 10-19-2005   #18
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Ah, what it sounded like to me in the video (some paraphrasing)....

he's expceting the players to play inspired and is wanting the fans to help as they have in the past because they invigorate and inspire the team to play well. He wants the fans to feel like this is our team and that we're with them to help with a win. Noted that the fans have been great in the past and that it's still a long season to go and that he's looking forward to the fans coming out.

So, maybe a little different view than the original post. Personally, I'll still be out for toro, the cheerleaders, then scream the last names as the players come on the field and keep on cheering from the heavens of 619 till it looks like the cheering is not being reflected in Texans play.

GO TEXANS... the fans are ready, are you?
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #19
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

The first post was completely out of context. He was basically asking for the fans to stay positive, etc.

An interesting thing at the end there.... he said that so far they've had some bad breaks and injuries. It would have been nice to hear some honesty there and for him to call some people out instead of making excuses.
Old 10-19-2005   #20
Bassinguy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBalla1983
Have you seen his press briefing on our houstontexans.com site. he said that the team could get more enthusiastic if we would show them more support like we used to. Instead of booying them when they do something stupid he want us to cheer and cheer until we cant cheer anymore. then we go and we show the other team that we could cheer for our team.

What do you guys think of his comments?
That's nothing more than the usual banter. He's not going to show his hand if he's actually looking to make a change. The next thing I'd expect is the old vote of confidence statement. The axe usually falls shortly afterward.
Bassinguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read