Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2005   #1
Htown34s
Veteran

Default McNair wants Pete Carroll?

Accord to Kirk Bohls, Sports writer for the Austin-American Statesman, Bob McNair want's to try to lure Pete Carroll from USC back to a head coaching gig in the NFL.

link

I've read an interview of Carroll from a while back saying he doesn't want to return to the NFL, and I doubt he'd do it. But this is the first published rumor of a head coach replacement that I know of, and it'll be interesting to see if anything develops.

What would you think if Carroll is our head coach come next year?
Old 10-19-2005   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it would be great. But highly unlikely. He's got the no. 1 team in college for the past three years. Who would want to leave that kind of success behind at the top of their game?

Same for Charlie Weiss (at least this next year). I think these coaches really enjoy the NCAA.

But you never know. While there is prestige with being a national champion, there is nothing like the world championship of winning a Superbowl.
Old 10-19-2005   #3
mean mark8
Veteran

If he can bring Norm Chow with him, fine. Otherwise, I don't recall him as anything special in the NFL; his overall record was 33-31 with his last being 6-10 at NY Jets. Of course if you compare this record to Capers', well I'm sorry, there is no comparison. He did take the Patriots to the playoffs in his first 2 years though. So, maybe if we think we have the talent, he might could do something.
mean mark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #4
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Granted there are worse choices then Carroll, but considering he got his butt handed to him on a platter in the NFL, I'd rather see a current NFL OC/DC get a chance.

Also, while there are some notable exceptions like Jimmy Johnson, history has shown that very few college coaches make successful NFL coaches.

Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I think it would be great. But highly unlikely. He's got the no. 1 team in college for the past three years. Who would want to leave that kind of success behind at the top of their game?
I can think of million$ of reason$. McNair could make Carroll very $atisfied.

Besides, great coaches love challenges. Can you think of a bigger challenge in football right now than the Texans?

Carroll was 27-21 with 2 playoff appearances at New England. That looks pretty good to me about now. If you're going to judge Carroll solely on what he did in the NFL, you'd never have given Belichick the job in New England. He was 36-44 in his first HC gig in Cleveland.
Old 10-19-2005   #6
Htown34s
Veteran

Norm Chow left to do basically a lateral move with the Titans. Something there tells me he either didn't want to work for Carroll any longer or wants to be an NFL head coach himself. Either way, I doubt Chow would be our OC.
Old 10-19-2005   #7
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125703 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

mcnair probably would make a big push for him ,but ultimately i dont see it happening. it would bring immediate excitement back to houston football...im just not sure he's quite right for the job...

would make the draft VERY interesting...
Old 10-19-2005   #8
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125703 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown34s
Norm Chow left to do basically a lateral move with the Titans. Something there tells me he either didn't want to work for Carroll any longer or wants to be an NFL head coach himself. Either way, I doubt Chow would be our OC.
i agree he probably does have his sights set on a hc job in the future...i just wouldnt call a college oc and a pro oc a lateral move.
Old 10-19-2005   #9
mean mark8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown34s
What do you think about McNair going for Chow as our Head Coach? I think it would definitely improve our offense...Well if we figure out how to get this O-line to pass protect.
mean mark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #10
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda
i just wouldnt call a college oc and a pro oc a lateral move.
It is when you go to the Titans
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #11
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default ...whoever we get

IMO, a new head coach needs to

1) realize there are 3 phases to an NFL team--defense/offense/special teams
2) hire coaches that can coach/teach and let them coach, not simply mirror his philosophies
3) be a good talent evaluator and use his players strenghts for the benefit of the team
4) and-most of all-coach to win, go into every game with the mindset to do whatever it takes to win that game that week
5) play for 4 qtrs not just the last possession
6) 'face the music'--if you screwed up, admit it and go on, learning from the experience
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton
Granted there are worse choices then Carroll, but considering he got his butt handed to him on a platter in the NFL, I'd rather see a current NFL OC/DC get a chance.

Also, while there are some notable exceptions like Jimmy Johnson, history has shown that very few college coaches make successful NFL coaches.

How is going to the playoffs in 2 of 4 years and having a losing record in 1 of 4 years getting your butt handed to you? Plus the guy spent 15 years coaching in the NFL so he is hardly a "college" coach--he only has 1 more year as a college head coach than he has had as an NFL head coach. Not advocating for or against him, but that just doesn't seem accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrell
He's got the no. 1 team in college for the past three years. Who would want to leave that kind of success behind at the top of their game?
A smart man. He is most likely about to lose Leinart and Bush and maybe White as well. Seems to me getting while the getting is good might be an idea--it is only going to go down hill from where he has been at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean mark8
I don't recall him as anything special in the NFL; his overall record was 33-31 with his last being 6-10 at NY Jets.
No his 1st was 6-10 with the Jets in 1994. He coached the Patriots from 97-99
Old 10-19-2005   #13
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda
mcnair probably would make a big push for him ,but ultimately i dont see it happening. it would bring immediate excitement back to houston football...im just not sure he's quite right for the job...

would make the draft VERY interesting...
Not sure if he's right for the job? He would be perfect for the job. But I agree with you in the sense of not seeing it happening just based upon the fact that he has been on record saying that he would never coach in the NFL again.

I've always liked Pete Carroll's coaching style.
Old 10-19-2005   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been touting Carrol for some time, but not as Head Coach as the GM. Bring him here and give him a slice of the action and good things would happen. He is not just another good football mind with vast experience he is a shrewd evaulator of talent and knows how to build a winning organization which is what McNair is all about. Then he could try and get Chow as his head coach, but I would prefeer a Texan like Buffalo Bills DC Jerry Gray as HC.
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #15
Gunbuny
Rookie

I don't see Carroll leaving college football. He is in complete control in college. He is the GM, andHC. He goes after the players he wants, there is NO salary cap to worry about, and finally the only ego that has to be tolerated is his. Why in the hell would he want to leave. I think he makes quite a bit of money in college so money won't do it. He is not at some barber college, he is at USC, one of the big schools with very deep pockets.
Gunbuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #16
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

If I was Carroll I wouldn't come to the Texans. The NFL is win now league and that's what he doesn't want to deal with not to mention you are dealing with student athletes as opposed to paid ones. Different mindset.

I think pete found his niche and is just happy where he is.

I'd rather see and ESTABLISHED OC/DC get a shot.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
I can think of million$ of reason$. McNair could make Carroll very $atisfied.

Besides, great coaches love challenges. Can you think of a bigger challenge in football right now than the Texans?
Thi$ i$ true, on both count$.

And considering he's already got a couple of national championships on his resume (and potentially a third), he might want to go for history and be only the third coach to have both an NFL and NCAA championships. It's possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
A smart man. He is most likely about to lose Leinart and Bush and maybe White as well. Seems to me getting while the getting is good might be an idea--it is only going to go down hill from where he has been at.
yeah, this is true. My initial reaction was that he wouldn't want to leave at the top.

But I guess you could look at it two ways:

He's losing key players that got the team to stay at no. 1, and you've got to wonder what he can do next year.

or

He'll be able to replace them with blue chip talent because of the reputation that both he and USC now have, which is very important for getting players to sign up to your program.

I'm sure he's already recieved other NFL offers, which he's obviously turned down. But like Lucky mentioned, money talks.
Old 10-19-2005   #18
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno....Carrol may be one of the few guys who'd be even tougher for
Big Bob to get hired than Jimmie Johnson.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #19
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

"Word is that the Houston Texans might do everything in their power to persuade Trojans Coach Pete Carroll to return to the NFL. That’s assuming, he would even consider the Texans part of the NFL."

That's going to be a huge problem this offseason. It's going to very hard to lure free agents and coaches here after this pathetic season. If McNair would have made some moves before this season (as many of us suggested) it would have been a different story. His hesitation turned the 4-year plan into a 10-year plan.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #20
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
"Word is that the Houston Texans might do everything in their power to persuade Trojans Coach Pete Carroll to return to the NFL. That’s assuming, he would even consider the Texans part of the NFL."

That's going to be a huge problem this offseason. It's going to very hard to lure free agents and coaches here after this pathetic season. If McNair would have made some moves before this season (as many of us suggested) it would have been a different story. His hesitation turned the 4-year plan into a 10-year plan.
I agree. It won't be easy to lure anyone good here. It CAN be done though. SEE: Cincinatti Bengals

The only hope for next season is to get someone that can make players WANT to come here despite this season's performance. Sometimes that's a fresh young new HC like Mora or Lewis. Sometimes it's a salty old veteran like Parcells. Money and control can attract people. Mcnair seems like someone we'd all love to work for so that's not an issue.

Stay tuned...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read