Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-19-2005   #1
Sudds
Rookie

Default Leinart Not An Option

If you think we should dump DC and draft Leinart, you are making ahuge mistake. Can you imagine Leinart, with his extremely slow feet and lethargic atheltisim, trying to escape defenders like Carr has had to do the last four years. Carr seems to be getting more and more athletic, in terms of escapability. He looked good Sunday night and actually looks faster than he did when he came into the league. Leinart has had the benefit of throwing behind a dominant O-line, providing him hours of time to throw. he will bomb in the NFL because of his poor footwork. Great kid and smart, but still has a below average NFL arm and slow feet. Not a good combo in this league.
Sudds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #2
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Though I agree with you that Matt wouldn't work for our offense I do disagree with you that he won't be a good NFL qb. Like most rookie qb's he'll need a good coach. I think if he can come into the same kind of situation his fellow alum did carson palmer he will be fine.

I think he's a very accurate passer which I will always take over a strong arm though having both doesn't hurt. His footwork can be coached. He's a great leader and I think he's proven he can play against the best of the best and LEAD the way and not be led ala ken dorsey.

All that said if we draft him I will burn CC's house down.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #3
texplayer2
Veteran

Tenn. would be a good fit for Lienert. He could hook-up with Norm Chow. That would be bad news for the Texans though. We have enough good QB's in our Division, as we will see this weekend.
texplayer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt will probably go to the highest bidder. Just like Eli 2 years ago. Lets just hope we own that spot, and can trade down and still get our left tackle.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #5
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Chicago looks like a nice place for Leinart.
Old 10-20-2005   #6
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Baltimore has alot of money and will most likely take Lienhart. As for us we need to either take Bush or a LT first round.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Leinart needs an explosive offensive system, as suggested earler, so the Texans are out

the Rams have to be @ the top of the list, they love to go vertical. Bulger has yet to replace Kurt Warner this system is made for Leinart with Pace signed long term (thanks to the Texans) weapons Bruce, Faulk, Holt & Jackson in fold.

Right now they hold the 9th pick in the draft while the Texans have the #1 pick. so for them to aquire Matt they will have to make a trade, now this is just specualtion on my part, but I don't feel that their 1st pick plus next years pick would be enough. then you have to figure that D'Brick or Winston would still be available late in the top 10 picks? I'd almost bet the Packers take the top left tackle available, so that would be one of them. The Browns even if they don't have as high of pick I feel they would try and trade up to grab the other.

This is a reason I'm not a big fan of trading down from that top pick and prefeer taking the BPA, just look what happend last year, that was just a three spot move from #13. our best success has been using our picks as they fall with the 1st pick, take a look at the first three years Carr, Johnson and Robinson. so I think the Texans pass on the Leinart sweepstakes unless its a move down of only one or two spots
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2005   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudds
If you think we should dump DC and draft Leinart, you are making ahuge mistake. Can you imagine Leinart, with his extremely slow feet and lethargic atheltisim, trying to escape defenders like Carr has had to do the last four years. Carr seems to be getting more and more athletic, in terms of escapability. He looked good Sunday night and actually looks faster than he did when he came into the league. Leinart has had the benefit of throwing behind a dominant O-line, providing him hours of time to throw. he will bomb in the NFL because of his poor footwork. Great kid and smart, but still has a below average NFL arm and slow feet. Not a good combo in this league.
Duh! Leinart will be killed with the Texans or Packers
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #9
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Possible teams to trade with.
Jets
Ravens
Titans
Bears
Dolphins
Browns
Cardinals
Lions

Maybe Cowboy's and Redskins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp
Possible teams to trade with.
Jets
Ravens
Titans
Bears
Dolphins
Browns
Cardinals
Lions

Maybe Cowboy's and Redskins.
I would add the Saints and Bucs to that list. The Saints only have one prospect. And that is Adrian McPherson. The Bucs have a good line of QB's, but nobody special. Although the Bucs might be way to high to trade with.

So maybe Just the Saints.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NFL DRAFT
I would add the Saints and Bucs to that list. The Saints only have one prospect. And that is Adrian McPherson. The Bucs have a good line of QB's, but nobody special. Although the Bucs might be way to high to trade with.

So maybe Just the Saints.
I thought the Saints cut McPherson...
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #12
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was wrong. My mistake.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005   #13
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

For the umpteenth time we need an O line
Old 10-22-2005   #14
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I think that Detriot will have a high enough pick for us to trade down with them. I just hate to think of playing Matt Leinart with Roy and his old buddy Mike Williams on his team, and Rogers if he can ever stay healthy.
Old 10-22-2005   #15
AlbinoRat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AlbinoRat

We need to draft a QB in the next 2-3 years. Carr has taken more of a beating than most 8 year vets and is gonna lose his durability. You gotta decide whether or not you want David Ragone leading this team.
Old 10-22-2005   #16
AlbinoRat
Veteran

Also, dont even say draft Vince Young. He's just like Michael Vick. Vicks an excellent player but he seems injured more often than Chad Pennington. These Scrambling Quarterbacks only have a few good years in them. If you like Vince Young, pray we dont draft him, cause its only a matter of time before he joins Joppru on the Physically unable to perform list.
Old 10-22-2005   #17
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Do you think Atlanta regrets drafting Vick? Did you see the size of the contract extension he signed? Do you know why the Falcons organization was willing to give him that much money? Because they know they're going to get it back 5 fold because of him.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

There is no player I'd want to see more than Young here....and dats the troof

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #19
AlbinoRat
Veteran

Huge, this is the point I was trying to make. Sometimes I don't make it clear.

Look at the top four Pro Scrambling Quarterbacks

Not in any order
Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Michael Vick, Dante Culpepper

All these quarterbacks are great players and a welcome addition to any team. But quarterbacks who tend to "roam" around the field, seem to have more injuries than those that stay in the pocket.

McNabb and McNair have played almost every game for the past three to four years with some sort of injury. Vick has had a different injury every week this season. Culpepper, I'm not sure about his health.

My point is that teams are taking a huge risk by drafting a quarterback who likes to run. They tend to make an immediate impact, then slowly start to slip.

Personally, I love to watch scrambling qbs. You have to understand that for 4 years, I had to watch Casey Clausen pretend like he had any more footspeed than the offensive line at the University of Tennessee.

Most Quarterbacks who stay in the pocket are very accurate, and those that tend to roll out make the defense come up and just throw it over their heads, and are usually less accurate but have good arm strength.

All the great Quarterbacks seemed to stay in the pocket most of the time.

My English teacher last year was Buz Morrow, you may know him from his playing days as a DE at Ole Miss. All year, I heard these great stories about his roommate, Archie Manning. One day in class we convinced him to let us watch his old game film.

We watched Archie pick apart the #1 team in the country like 31 to nothing.
We watched 4 or 5 different games. I noticed that Archie was patient, staying behind his blockers, then placing the ball where the receiver could get it.

Defense's are starting to figure out how to stop these scrambling Quarterbacks, their putting one or two Linebackers in a spy, virtually eliminating the Quarterback from busting long runs.

Please don't think that I consider myself an authority on this or anything else, this is just my opinion.
Old 10-22-2005   #20
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Many share that opinion. But the logic that "running QBs" are more often hurt is misguided. Take a look around the league at all the QBs that have missed time this year and you'll see a ton of "pocket passers".

For all the extra hits they take for running, they're also able to avoid hits in the pocket using that same ability.

Kyle Boller, Brian Griese, Kurt Warner, Ben Roesthlisberger, Chad Pennington, Marc Bulger. And the list of injured "pocket passers" goes on and on.

Injuries are going to happen no matter what style you play. I'll take the guy that gives me the best chance to win (running QB or not).
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read