Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2005   #1
TexansAllTheWayBaby
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 TexansAllTheWayBaby is a Pro BowlerTexansAllTheWayBaby is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via AIM to TexansAllTheWayBaby
Smile Indianapolis Colts Preview

Well, next up, the Colts.

There a tough team. Their line plays physical. They have a nice passing and running game, and a very respected kicker in Mike Vanderjact.

We now know they know how to fight back juding from the St. Louis game, and its obvious their deffensive until is much improved from last year at this point in time.

Peyton Manning is still obviously superve, and you need to credit his Wideout's for that. They also have a sold running game with Edgerinn James.

My 'Keys to beating Indy' will be issued tomorrow. However, I will say this. If we fight hard in practice all week, mantain postivie attitudes, and then fans cheer us on Sunday hard, we'll play them close.

ALSO, ITS A BATTLE RED DAY, AND WE'RE 3-0 WITH THEM! Still, its going to be extremely difficult, yet not totally impossible.
TexansAllTheWayBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #2
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansAllTheWayBaby
There a tough team. Their line plays physical. They have a nice passing and running game, and a very respected kicker in Mike Vanderjact.
Respected by who? We don't really like him, the opponants ususally hate him. He's a nice kicker, but I could do without him on my team.
Old 10-19-2005   #3
Colts Addict
Rookie

Ahhh... Speak for yourself! Vanderjagt has gotten quite a few wins for us. Although he does say stupid stuff when he is intoxicated, he is a kicker due some respect. What does he have this year... 6 out of 7? I will take him anyday over some of the other kickers in the league.
Colts Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #4
BlueBlood
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
Respected by who? We don't really like him, the opponants ususally hate him. He's a nice kicker, but I could do without him on my team.
Whatever. I love vandy! Speak for yourself.
BlueBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #5
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
I am sure the Jets would take him off your hands, and they would pay the Colts well.
Old 10-19-2005   #6
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

I don't like a kicker who tries to divide the team, gives the Patriots bulliten board material, and takes up a hell of a lot of cap room.
Old 10-19-2005   #7
Colts Addict
Rookie

You know... NE doesn't need any bulletin board material. They seem to come up with whatever they want anyway, whether it makes sense or not. Give the guy a break... there are several games that came down to him and sure enough, he pulled it through for us. Everyone is entitled to make a fool of him/herself every once in a while. I like having a kicker that I can feel reliant upon when it comes down to crunch time.

Sorry Texans... Don't mean to get into banter with another Colts fan over our players. I will conclude this discussion to our board if necessary.
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2005   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

heh-heh-heh, pretty funny to see Colts fans conducting conversations on a Texans board!

You've got a good team, no doubt about it. I don't like 'em (why should I? division rival and all), but I've got a lot of respect for Coach Dungy and the team in general. It would not surprise me in the least if the Colts make it to the big one this year.

With regards to this weeks game...man, it's going to be tough. I'm not even sure that our current team could win with our "A game" (whatever that might be), unless we had some fortunate help from you guys (turnovers, penalties, whatever you want to give us).

I'm usually a true believer in the "any given Sunday" concept, but I'm feeling a bit on the thin ice side of things to make myself believe it this week. I mean, anything is possible, but it just has to be tempered with what is probable.

So, is Manning just toying with opposing teams right now? Letting the running game establish itself, and then *wham!*, out comes the 5 TD game? I've got a sneaking suspicion that something [positive] is hidden with the Colts, something waiting in the wings.

I don't look forward to facing your D on Sunday, either. Dungy has done a great job of really creating a well-rounded team.
Old 10-19-2005   #9
Colts Addict
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
heh-heh-heh, pretty funny to see Colts fans conducting conversations on a Texans board!

You've got a good team, no doubt about it. I don't like 'em (why should I? division rival and all), but I've got a lot of respect for Coach Dungy and the team in general. It would not surprise me in the least if the Colts make it to the big one this year.

With regards to this weeks game...man, it's going to be tough. I'm not even sure that our current team could win with our "A game" (whatever that might be), unless we had some fortunate help from you guys (turnovers, penalties, whatever you want to give us).

I'm usually a true believer in the "any given Sunday" concept, but I'm feeling a bit on the thin ice side of things to make myself believe it this week. I mean, anything is possible, but it just has to be tempered with what is probable.

So, is Manning just toying with opposing teams right now? Letting the running game establish itself, and then *wham!*, out comes the 5 TD game? I've got a sneaking suspicion that something [positive] is hidden with the Colts, something waiting in the wings.

I don't look forward to facing your D on Sunday, either. Dungy has done a great job of really creating a well-rounded team.

Yeah, sorry about the Colts fan quarrel over here. LOL

I have to agree that I think this is our year. I love what Dungy and Polian have done with this team. We have been so close for a few years now and just couldn't pull it through. I think we finally have all elements together now as a complete team to accomplish what we want. As long as we keep the penalities and injuries down, we should be able to go all the way. (keeping fingers crossed)

On the other hand, I have seen the Colts lose some pretty big "sure thing" games, so I am always leery about sticking my neck on the chopping block by saying this is a for sure win. I think Dungy will play a big role in helping our team stayed focused on this week's task and not taking anything for granted.

As far as Peyton toying with other teams... I think most of that just seems to be the fact that defenses have learned that we have entirely too many big players on our offense just to double team Harrison all the time and take their chances with everyone else. I think after all 3... Stokley, Wayne, and Harrison had over 1000 yards last year, they have learned how to play the pass protection. Luckily we have James... don't know what we will do next year when we lose him.

As far as Dungy... I have said it all along. Tampa's loss was definitely our gain. I think Dungy was the best thing to ever happen to the Colts. He is very defense oriented and has done a wonderful job rounded out this team. I couldn't agree with you more. :-)
Old 10-19-2005   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Interesting Comments From Dungy

Yeah yeah, it is coach speak, but there is a lot of truth in it.

(on empathizing with Capers’ situation) “I sure can. Dom is in a situation where there really was no track record. It’s just the normal bumps and bruises you take as an expansion team. You’re trying to get everyone to come in and get on the same page, and join into your philosophy. Going to Tampa, there was a history of not winning, and a kind of defeatist attitude in the city and on the team. And so that was the biggest task: to get people to think like winners, to act like winners, to practice that way, to do everything, in season, off-season, on the field, off the field. And that’s the biggest task when you’ve got that history going against you. Fortunately we had some young players come in from winning programs in college: Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, John Lynch, Ronde Barber and Mike Alstott. Those guys came in with the right attitude, and then it was just a matter of trying to get everyone on the same page.

(on preparing for 0-5 Texans) “All we can do is look at the tape of our last few games with them, and we’ll see the problems they’ve created for us in that type of thing. You know, we saw them really in a 10-9 situation with Tennessee into the third quarter. We saw them in a 13-10 situation with Cincinnati, who only has one loss, in Cincinnati where they had the ball with a chance to drive it and win. So our guys realize what Houston is capable of. You have to look at how they play you, and we have a little bit of a feel for how they play us defensively and offensively. Now their offense is a little different since Joe’s taken over, but we definitely look at how they’ve played us in the past defensively, and really prepare for that.”

This may not be a popular point of view but I am gonna say it anyways. When your team is doing poorly, it is emotionally easy to get caught as a fan despairing at how bad the team and kind of mentally preparing yourself for a 0-16. It can become kind of a bloodless sport, like with John McClain, to see how many different ways you can say that the team is playing sorry. Ha ha, look at what a great joke I cracked, bag on my head, etc.

As much as fans value teams that never give up and never surrender, fans give up on teams pretty easy. As a group, it is easier to kick em when they are down, and just write off the team as a bunch of overpaid brats or whatever slur they want to say.

I am realistic about how things are going but I must admit that it is kind of cool to see the guys in the Battle Red unis as it is on the home page. Makes me feel like the whole Any Given Sunday thing means something. The games aren't played by robots--they are human beings that have pride and are trying to be a team. Their Battle Red record may be a partial reflection of their human side.

As horrible as some of the gameday stuff has been, the worst has been seeing the actions of the fans. You know, feeling like you are going to puke because folks are booing and was it Bullock(?) motioning his arms upward, encouraging the crowd to boo louder. It made me sick.

I am just suggesting that some might consider toning down the more defeatest posts and maybe leaving the brown paper sacks at home. Because defeatism feeds on itself. As much as you might not like some of the moves that have been done, or the folks making the decisions, tough times are a referendum on what sort of fans you are. You don't need to show your disfavor with the team because Mr. McNair is not oblivious.

Do you kick em when they are down or do you try to lift them up to higher things??? We have tough times ahead but at least we have an owner who cares and really does want to put a winning product together--not easy to do from scratch. Most of our team is going to stay here for next year, let's as fans keep giving reasons for the best players to stay and for F.A.s to want to help turn things around.

Yeah yeah, rah rah and all that, but as someone who mostly has lurked trying to find some logic and insight about my team, it just gets a little tiresome to have to read through all the posts trying to out clever each other on different ways to say how bad things are.

Don't mean to offend, nor to dis other Texans fans--cuz with times like these, our team needs the most fans it can get. Just venting in my own way, a way that is meant to be positive. Defeatism just gets on my last nerve.

So there you have it. Battle Red it the way on up.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #11
Colts Addict
Rookie

Well said Texans Chic! We were in the same situation here in Indianapolis and look where we are now. Keep believing... it will come. (I just hope its not this Sunday though) hehe
Old 10-20-2005   #12
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
Just venting in my own way, a way that is meant to be positive. .
Laughing at venting my own way.
Why do you think I vent on this board??? Cindy(my wife) would kick my butt if I vent at home. She will have no part of it!

I may kick, scream, cuss, moan, etc. on this board, but I still love having a team in Houston. Love having a team to be able to go tailgating for. And I will still yell my head off and ring my cowbell as usual at our home games!!!
I used to be an armchair fan, but it's sooooooo cool to be at the stadium!

I enjoy seeing other teams come to our house. I told Cindy at the Oakland game, there's Jerry Rice, the MVP--HOF'er of all the WRs. It was a treat to see him play. Randy Moss & Warren Sapp too at the Oakland game. You get to see the stars on TV, but really neat to see them in person! Last year we got to see Culpepper, Farve, PManning, Edge, McNair, etc. just to name a few.

You bet I would love to see a playoff team, but there's more to the game to a true fan!

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #13
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Enervate players sitting on the sidelines and sulking in the first quarter is deplorable. For the Texans to beat the Colts, it would take a heavy dose of kick-butt attitude followed by a heavy regimen of self-confidence, and I don't know that the Texans are in a place to do that right now because they have to believe in their line, their QB, their LBs, PBurnt, and especially their coaches. Pondering that Dungy quote, I wonder what it would mean to the Texans to draft for swagger. Or to trade for it. Back to the original post, though, the coaching staff is allowing this team to feel dejected and crushed. If they cannot turn this attitude around, we will be embarassed again by the Colts.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
This may not be a popular point of view but I am gonna say it anyways. When your team is doing poorly, it is emotionally easy to get caught as a fan despairing at how bad the team and kind of mentally preparing yourself for a 0-16. It can become kind of a bloodless sport, like with John McClain, to see how many different ways you can say that the team is playing sorry. Ha ha, look at what a great joke I cracked, bag on my head, etc.

As much as fans value teams that never give up and never surrender, fans give up on teams pretty easy. As a group, it is easier to kick em when they are down, and just write off the team as a bunch of overpaid brats or whatever slur they want to say.
I think there is some confusion between the vox populi and the fans who plan and look forward to booing their team or wearing bags to the game. The vast majority of Houston football fans still tune in the Texans or go to the stadium. It's the small, loud minority that think they are accomplishing something besides making themselves look bad by trying to humiliate their own team.

I'm sure these are the same fans who are arrogant when the team wins a little bit. I was at a game last year where I saw a group of adult guys in Texans gear on the concourse. They were screaming at a fan of the visiting team, who had his two sub-teenage boys with him and were just trying to walk to their seats and enjoy the game. Classy.

I feel the same way about these arrogant fools and the ones who look forward to bad play so they can boo. Embarrassed.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read