Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2005   #41
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Probably agreeing with you more than I'm not.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
Lets just get an LT. Look, in 2004, we moved the ball relativley well without any protection what-so-ever, at least up until week 13. Maybe we can get a good TE in the 2nd round or FA. For the most part, we need someone that we can build around. Carr can pick a team apart given proper protection.
I am not sure yet if the "right" guy is in the early rounds of the draft as an LT--they are not fungible. I'm just saying, instead of the blanket statement--we need an LT in the first round of the draft--I'd rather get whatever mix of players is the best for the team over all. If the Oline stud is there, go get him, if not, don't just try to overdraft for a guy just to say look we addressed it if he isn't someone who you think will be somebody to build around.

You'd hate to be the team who was in the position to take a dynamic instant all-pro guy, and instead took a lineman who may or may not pan out. Just because of the nature of the position, the best athletes do not usually gravitate there--so they are a little harder to project.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #42
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I believe the O-line coach is considered one of the best in the business. He's also paid well.
Hmmm ... I seem to be smiley-challenged. Even when I use them, the underlying meaning is missed. I was referring to Pendry and being very tongue-in-cheek about it.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #43
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
Hmmm ... I seem to be smiley-challenged. Even when I use them, the underlying meaning is missed. I was referring to Pendry and being very tongue-in-cheek about it.
No, basically you were just Ibar'd!

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #44
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
I am not sure yet if the "right" guy is in the early rounds of the draft as an LT--they are not fungible. I'm just saying, instead of the blanket statement--we need an LT in the first round of the draft--I'd rather get whatever mix of players is the best for the team over all. If the Oline stud is there, go get him, if not, don't just try to overdraft for a guy just to say look we addressed it if he isn't someone who you think will be somebody to build around.

You'd hate to be the team who was in the position to take a dynamic instant all-pro guy, and instead took a lineman who may or may not pan out. Just because of the nature of the position, the best athletes do not usually gravitate there--so they are a little harder to project.
Good post on top and I totally agree with that, but on your second point I'd like to point out that historically linemen are the one position that is easiest to grade tangibly at the top of the draft. There is a higher chance that you will get a player that matches his draft grade with elite offensive linemen than you do with other players, especially skill guys in the top 10.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #45
BadBobTx
Rookie

we got the talent a lot of its injured . Time we went to a Hurry up offense with Carr in shotgun . That way he will have about 2 seconds longer to throw and hell we might catch the defense with too many men on field . really tired of same 6 plays and no TD'S
BadBobTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #46
BadBobTx
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBobTx
we got the talent a lot of its injured . Time we went to a Hurry up offense with Carr in shotgun . That way he will have about 2 seconds longer to throw and hell we might catch the defense with too many men on field . really tired of same 6 plays and no TD'S
BadBobTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #47
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default October draft talk is painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Good post on top and I totally agree with that, but on your second point I'd like to point out that historically linemen are the one position that is easiest to grade tangibly at the top of the draft. There is a higher chance that you will get a player that matches his draft grade with elite offensive linemen than you do with other players, especially skill guys in the top 10.
Well said--I will say that I'm glad we got AJ and not Charles Rogers.

I just get a little freaked taking an Olineman up high--is that particular guy worth it relative to the skills guys. Grading them relative to each other I understand but grading them relative to the skills guys is kinda apples and oranges. I just hope after the poking and proding and video stuff there is a hafta have Olinemen coming.
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2005   #48
outofhnd
All Pro

We just need to do what Paul McGuire said top do get 5 young guys and put em out there and let em play.

We have way to much veteran lineman that are not pushed to perform or lose thier job because we have no young talent on the O line to replace them.. they know this so why try?when someones job is threatened they perform.

I thought Hogdon did rather well.McKinney Wiegart and wade are the problems Riley looked significantly better at RT. We are a team that practices flawlessly but on gameday our againg lineman play not to get hurt more than they play with reckless abandon... with the backups we have its bascially David might get killed.. Replace the line with young players leave one veteran which now is pitts
Old 10-20-2005   #49
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Our linemen are quasi-gummi at best. While there is some talent there, I don't think it is being used well. And right now the entire team is looking like a bunch of enervate behemoths. Somebody needs to energize them, and I don't think it's going to be the fans (sorry, McNair) or the coaches (sorry, Capers). That is one of the reasons they cannot make it out of the AFC South basement.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #50
tampacoltfan
Rookie

Hello Texan fans, I normally don't post to others message boards but do read them alot.
I am a fan of all AFC South Teams except when the colts play them. Lived in Indy for 50+ years.
First, you will survive this, we did, look at mannings first year and the fans where calling for his head. It was uuuuuggglllyyyy.
David Carr in my opinion is a very good young quarterback, but he has to run for his life on every play. He needs help. I have watched as many of your games as I can. I personally thought you would be giving us a run for the playoffs starting last year.
Indy changed coaches a couple of times and made alot of changes on the o-l and added several receivers. It is now a good 'package' Stop one or two or three and there is still 4 and 5. David Carr does not have that and he needs it in the current enviroment in the league. Espn said it right ' Houston's o-l lookes like a revolving door"
Maybe coaches and some players need taken out behind the woodshed. Fans deserve what they pay for and the loyality they give the team.
Good luck Sunday. I support the Texans when they play all others. Great Cheerleaders.
I hope the Colts win large, but next week I hope you beat the Browns 50-0.
Keep the faith.
GO AFC SOUTH, GO COLTS
tampacoltfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #51
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampacoltfan
Indy changed coaches a couple of times and made alot of changes on the o-l and added several receivers.
Changing coaches can make a big difference. I think our coaches are so set in their philosophy and style they just can't think flexibly enough to change things around to (1) take advantage of what our players do well and (2) cover up those things they don't.

The players and coaches have to fit each other, and it's pretty clear they don't here. With the salary cap and player contracts, it's easier to replace coaches then revamp a team into a coaches image. It appears that will be the first step in our get well plan.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read