Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2005   #21
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudds
1) If we grab reggie Bush with our first pick next year, where would we play him? WR, RB, Roving offensive weapon? No matter what, if Bush is available to us in the draft, we take him.

2) Do we make the off-season a time to completely rebuild the Oline? Keep Pitts and clean house? I think it should be the priority.

3) I think our biggest concern is our defense. We can't stop anyone, we can't shed blocks, and we can't cover man-to-man very well. We're in trouble here.

4) Think positive...with AJ out for a few, Gaff is getting a lot of reps and work in. Suddenly he is our legitiment #2 WR. If we can add Bush, another WR, and rebuild the Oline, we may have somthing. Carr is solid and he showed me that Sunday night. We'd be crazy setting him free. If we can protect him, he can do damage, but I'd also like to see us expand the offense and go on the aggressive side. But without enough time to throw, we simply cannot open it up.
1. IF you draft him (and it'd be a mistake if you did so), then you collect game tape of every college game he's played in and use him in the same fashion. Line him up strictly as a RB and he's not going to be near as effective.

2. If you think re-building the offensive line during the off-season is the priority (as it should be), why would you draft Bush?

3. Defenses can be built a lot quicker than offenses. There will be time for them to come around. What you want is to have both executing properly at the same time. Since both aren't right now and it'll take the offense longer to come around, you start on the offense now...defense later.

4. Carr, Johnson, Gaffney, Bush and a 3rd WR (or even better, a really good TE), are useless if there's no OL.

I think a problem many are falling into is that they expect all of these things to be fixed by next July. It's simply not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHateMe
Why let Bush go when we can trade Davis and get a couple of picks or free agents for him. Dominick is a proven back, he can run, and catch.
If Davis can do all that, why would you trade him? You're not going to get anything in return that will net Reggie Bush even if you were able to trade him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
I think that 1st pick we need to take reggie bush. Cant let that kind of talent pass up. Also Linemen rarely ever get drafted 1st round. So second and 3rd round we take a crack at linemen and also look for one more in the free agency. Also in the FA I think we need to look for a play maker tight end who can block but also catch and go and a few people to boost up our defense. Maybe a better pass rushing DL. Thats only my opinion
2005:
4 OLs drafted in the 1st round.

2004:
3 OLs drafted in the 1st round.

2003:

2002:
5 OLs drafted in the 1st round.

2001:

Take a look around the league at the elite OTs and look where they were drafted. Most of them will come from the top half of the 1st round (some in the top 5).

This team needs to get back to the identity they were trying to establish with their first two picks in the expansion draft (Boselli and Young). Those guys didn't pan out and the team forgot/ignored what they were trying to establish from the beginning.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #22
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

"It's all about the line"

...Amen, brother--a good OL can make a so-so RB/QB look like All-Pros, while a bad line can make All-Pro RB/QB look like 'mince meat!'

.....just ask EMMITT SMITH.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans haven't picked up anything yet...but I'm sure they will . Also, Dom Davis cannot get a 1st round pick...that's bonkers. Edge James and Shaun Alexander couldn't....Dom isn't in their class of back.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #24
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
For what it's worth...Sean Salisbury just said IF the Texans pick up David's contract then they should draft Bush.

I'm guessing this was recorded before Carr got his option picked up. I also dont agree with taking Bush...
Sean is a moron. Bush shouldnt even be considered for us at the top 3.

LT D'brick
LT Eric Winston
QB Matt Leinart
LT Jonathan Scott

Then I would consider Bush.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #25
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Winston is a drive killer.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #26
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 139897 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

IF we get the #1,we can draft Bush.....but ONLY for another team's picks!

The Texans may be in an enviable position, they may take the #1 for another team and turn it into LOTS of good picks.

How does multiple high picks sound? Why get only ONE OT, when you can get 2 or more? How about a Stud OT AND a Stud DT?

We don't need Matt Lineart yet, nor Vince Young. If somebody else is willing to trade top dollar for us to get the guy they want FOR them, we do it!

Even Casserly may not be able to screw up our picks if we give him enough shots at it!
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #27
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
I say we pull a Marshall Faulk type deal and TRADE Domanick Davis and some others for 1st rd pick, that way we can get both:

D'Brickshaw and Reggie Bush.
I agree, no fishing here. If we get to draft that high, we don't need to use it on a LT. We can always get that in the free agent market. Either we get Leinart or Bush. And I dont care which...
Old 10-18-2005   #28
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
I agree, no fishing here. If we get to draft that high, we don't need to use it on a LT. We can always get that in the free agent market. Either we get Leinart or Bush. And I dont care which...
Exactly where is this LT market y'all are shopping at? Care to name the last above average LT that was just let go into free agency?

We need to start a Madden/FantasyLand forum where cap rules and reality just don't apply.
Old 10-18-2005   #29
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
It's all about the line. Bring on a LT.
I agree Herv! i had Barry Sanders on my fantasy team. Detroit had a decent line, he was getting 10-15 TDs every year. They lost some linemen and had a bad line for two years. Barry didn't do worth a damn. Got like two TDs per year. It was the pits!

bobby 119C :brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #30
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1) If we grab reggie Bush with our first pick next year, where would we play him? WR, RB, Roving offensive weapon? No matter what, if Bush is available to us in the draft, we take him.

2) Do we make the off-season a time to completely rebuild the Oline? Keep Pitts and clean house? I think it should be the priority.

I think points 1 and 2 conflict each other. If line is *the* priority and a player like Ferguson is available, how can we pass up on him?
hadaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #31
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
The Texans haven't picked up anything yet...but I'm sure they will . Also, Dom Davis cannot get a 1st round pick...that's bonkers. Edge James and Shaun Alexander couldn't....Dom isn't in their class of back.

thanks Vinny voice of reason there.

Also what makes us thing Bush would do any good here at this point...Did anyone notice the Seattle game.. 8 man fronts(like every team is doing right now to us or they jump into the cover 2 being we don't have a legit NFL TE)
.. I don't think Bush would be good enough getting around that.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #32
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

you build a team through the lines...especially if we're switching to a 4-3 defense...i would spend every pick we have on both sides of the line...i might spend two day two picks on skilled positions but that's it...every pick needs to be dedicated to either o-lineman or 4-3 ends
Old 10-18-2005   #33
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Cool

If the offensive line is not THE priority in the off-season, I swear my head will explode.

Suffering through this season had better end up in smart decisions with the high draft picks we end up with next year.

How can a bunch of forum monkeys understand the most important aspect of football - controlling the trenches - and our front office be this clueless after four years?

Medicore QBs and RBs have been successful because of good OLs. In reverse order, you could put Joe Montana himself behind our current line and he'd look just as bad as DC (maybe worse since Joe Cool wasn't known for his running abilities).

Control the line, control the game. It's simple.

I really hope our new coaching staff (coming soon: January 2006) has a better understanding of football fundamentals than the current regime.
Old 10-18-2005   #34
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Most teams that have a good LT ... draft him and show him the money . Their that valuable .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #35
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Can he play offensive line? Unless someone gets it through his thick skull that we need an offensive line we aren't going anywhere.
Erratic Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #36
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHateMe
my ultimate scenario would be the Texans get #1 overall, draft Lienart
Does he come with a force-field or is he especially good at throwing while lying flat on his back?
Erratic Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #37
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
I disagree I think you should use it to fill your needs. I mean look at what we did in the free agency last year. Oh what was that we didnt do anything good. We could have had Pace, but the front office messed that up. I think we need to take care of our needs first and then maybe we could waste a pick on something we dont really need.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #38
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
We could have had Pace, but the front office messed that up.
Not feeling the need to be too accurate I see...

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #39
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
I disagree I think you should use it to fill your needs. I mean look at what we did in the free agency last year. Oh what was that we didnt do anything good. We could have had Pace, but the front office messed that up. I think we need to take care of our needs first and then maybe we could waste a pick on something we dont really need.
so you say give up 2 first rounders here? how does that feel our need(s).

I'd say use the 1st this year for some OL and depending on where we draft/what we need use the 2nd on another needed position
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #40
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not only for drafting an OT , I'm for drafting the best OL on the board with our next pick . The problem is we don't need the next Wand , Weary or Brown . We need cornerstone material .

If we don't go this route does anyone know if the invisible mans coming out early .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read