Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2005   #1
Sudds
Rookie

Default With Carr picked-up, let's start to brainstorm

1) If we grab reggie Bush with our first pick next year, where would we play him? WR, RB, Roving offensive weapon? No matter what, if Bush is available to us in the draft, we take him.

2) Do we make the off-season a time to completely rebuild the Oline? Keep Pitts and clean house? I think it should be the priority.

3) I think our biggest concern is our defense. We can't stop anyone, we can't shed blocks, and we can't cover man-to-man very well. We're in trouble here.

4) Think positive...with AJ out for a few, Gaff is getting a lot of reps and work in. Suddenly he is our legitiment #2 WR. If we can add Bush, another WR, and rebuild the Oline, we may have somthing. Carr is solid and he showed me that Sunday night. We'd be crazy setting him free. If we can protect him, he can do damage, but I'd also like to see us expand the offense and go on the aggressive side. But without enough time to throw, we simply cannot open it up.
Sudds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #2
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

It would be a HUGE mistake not to get the best Left Tackle available. Bush will be a great player but Runningbacks are easily found in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds. Bush could end up being a Marshall Faulk type player but Dominick Davis is a decent back. Our line needs the most help and deserves the most attention.
Old 10-18-2005   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush could end up being a Marshall Faulk type. Give Domanick Davis a monster line though and you'll never miss Bush. It's all about the line.

Bring on a LT.
Old 10-18-2005   #4
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why are some wanting to draft Bush with our 1st pick? With no O line, we have no passing game, which makes it that much harder to run when you can't throw the ball. Our first several picks should be directed at LT, O line, and maybe TE depending on Joppru.
Old 10-18-2005   #5
Fldvldog
Veteran

Don't make the mistake again...draft 'Brick...
Fldvldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudds
1) If we grab reggie Bush with our first pick next year, where would we play him? WR, RB, Roving offensive weapon? No matter what, if Bush is available to us in the draft, we take him.

2) Do we make the off-season a time to completely rebuild the Oline? Keep Pitts and clean house? I think it should be the priority.

3) I think our biggest concern is our defense. We can't stop anyone, we can't shed blocks, and we can't cover man-to-man very well. We're in trouble here.

4) Think positive...with AJ out for a few, Gaff is getting a lot of reps and work in. Suddenly he is our legitiment #2 WR. If we can add Bush, another WR, and rebuild the Oline, we may have somthing. Carr is solid and he showed me that Sunday night. We'd be crazy setting him free. If we can protect him, he can do damage, but I'd also like to see us expand the offense and go on the aggressive side. But without enough time to throw, we simply cannot open it up.

1. Bush is not a priority for this offense, and you go on to make that point in your subsequent comments.

2. If there is a franchise-caliber LT available in the 1st round, we have to take it. Franchise LTs don't get released from teams. We'll never see one unless we draft and develop one.

3. I don't think it's our biggest concern .. I think they're pretty much 1a and 1b at this point. A solid LB in round 2 would be big, or a DL.

4. There's nothing sudden about Gaffney. He's always been a solid #2 guy, but for some reason, this coaching staff insists on having Bradford out there. Gaffney's production has been good when he's given the opportunities. He'll never be a #1 guy on any team, but he's just fine for what we need. Again, no Bush please. While I don't doubt a player of Bush's ability might help this offense, it won't do so if the trenches are not fortified first.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #7
J-Man
Veteran

With Carr's release off the table I truly believe the only viable option is to bolster the O-line. Top pick 2 picks should be best available OL guys and with the 3rd pick take a HARD look at best TE on the board or make that position a priority in Free Agency. I think the front office clearly let some high quality OL guys slip away during free agency this last season and once that is fixed then move on to the defense.

I think Mark Schlereth said things best yesterday on NFL Network...the Texans built their offense from the outside-in and that just doesn't work. They have workable weapons with Carr, DD, AJ but they can't pass protect or open holes for the running game, and no pass protection equals no balls to AJ.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2005   #8
HeHateMe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
I say we pull a Marshall Faulk type deal and TRADE Domanick Davis and some others for 1st rd pick, that way we can get both:

D'Brickshaw and Reggie Bush.
I was thinking the same thing this morning. After what I saw during the Notre Dame game, Bush is the best player on USC. He is going to be the next Marshall Faulk. Why let Bush go when we can trade Davis and get a couple of picks or free agents for him. Dominick is a proven back, he can run, and catch. Problem is, do we go out and get free agent leadership on the line, and draft defense after Bush or vise versa, draft O-line then get a free agent D. Either way, Casserly (if he is around) is bound to mess that up.

Or my ultimate scenario would be the Texans get #1 overall, draft Lienart, trade down to get the #2,3, or 4 spot (one of those teams will definatly need a new QB) and pick up another 2nd rounder and a third rounder for the next year 07 depending how bad the other team wants the #1 overall selection.
HeHateMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #9
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

D'Brick had a knee injury a couple of weeks ago, but after the last game where he dominated the RE so his injury is far behind him. The only problem besides that is that he can't seem to keep a lot of weight on. He started at 295lbs and end in the 260lbs area as a junior. But if he gets a good nutritionist and lifting coach he could probably say in the 300lbs area as a pro, with no lose in speed or quickness.
Old 10-18-2005   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHateMe
Why let Bush go when we can trade Davis and get a couple of picks or free agents for him. Dominick is a proven back, he can run, and catch.
1st Bush isn't Marshall Faulk at least he hasn't proven any ability to run in between the tackles. In any event (not that saying this ever does any good) trades are very rare in the NFL and for the most part because of the salary cap need to be done at the tail end of contracts. DD just got a new contract with $4 or 5 mil up front. ALL of that money would go on the Texans cap this year if he was traded. And what team is going to trade a 1st for DD when they could just draft Laurence Maroney, DeAngelo Williams, etc. with the pick they have?
Old 10-18-2005   #11
J-Man
Veteran

Bottom line is that with the amount of quality RBs available via the draft or FA you will never get top price for your guy in a trade unless he is one of the top 3 talents.

DD could be a very servicable weapon for us if we build a good O Line. He's not a world beater but he is a very good multi-purpose back. For us to pick up a high draft pick RB he would clearly have to be someone like Adrian Peterson (assuming he continues to perform at an elite level and remains injury free).

By far our best bet (for the moment) is to hold what we have and make the best picks we can at that position.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #12
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One
What are the health concerns with Brick and should we shy away because of them? What other can't miss LT prospects are out there?
1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson Virginia 6-5 295 n/a
2. Marcus McNeill Auburn 6-9 337 4.97
3. Eric Winston Miami (FL) 6-7 310 n/a
4. Jonathan Scott Texas 6-7 310 n/a
5. Daryn Colledge Boise St. 6-5 298 n/a
6. Jeremy Trueblood Boston College 6-9 330 n/a
7. Andrew Whitworth L.S.U. 6-7 325 n/a
8. Jabari Levey South Carolina 6-6 312 n/a
9. Adam Stenavich Michigan 6-5 317 n/a
10. Troy Reddick Auburn 6-5 335 n/a
11. Ryan O'Callaghan California 6-7 340 n/a
12. Jami Hightower Texas A&M 6-4 355 n/a
13. Zach Strief Northwestern 6-7 335 n/a
14. Travis Leffew Louisville 6-4 301 n/a
15. Albert Toeaina Tennessee 6-6 350 n/a
16. Joe Toledo Washington 6-6 290 n/a
17. E.J. Whitley Texas Tech 6-7 302 n/a
18. Tre' Stallings Ole Miss 6-4 317 n/a
19. Mark LeVoir Notre Dame 6-7 315 n/a
20. Taitusi Lutui Southern Cal 6-6 370 n/a

Taken from: http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/ot.html
Old 10-18-2005   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

O-line has been our biggest issue since day 1. Lets get a stud LT and never look back.
Old 10-18-2005   #14
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I think that 1st pick we need to take reggie bush. Cant let that kind of talent pass up. Also Linemen rarely ever get drafted 1st round. So second and 3rd round we take a crack at linemen and also look for one more in the free agency. Also in the FA I think we need to look for a play maker tight end who can block but also catch and go and a few people to boost up our defense. Maybe a better pass rushing DL. Thats only my opinion
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #15
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default ...where it all starts

"It's all about the line"

...Amen, brother--a good OL can make a so-so RB/QB look like All-Pros, while a bad line can make All-Pro RB/QB look like 'mince meat!'
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #16
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, it scares the bejesus out of me that some of you would even ponder the thought of not drafting a good LT in the 1st round given the numerous demands on this board and what you have seen every Sunday from our line. My concern is, and listen closely, do we have the ability to "develope" a player into a lineman of franchise caliber? I ask that because we don't seem to make good decisions with the ones we have, even the mediocre ones, with respect to blocking assignments and so on. Just a thought to kick around for a bit. I have no doubt that an O lineman is what we need but we need a coach that can help push him to his potential.
Old 10-18-2005   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

My suggestion isn't that we don't draft a LT but that we acquire a proven highly regarded experienced LT, then go after a play maker with a the later pick we get. I don't want anymore projects, I don't want to put the fate of our season or our franchise QB in the hands of an inexperienced rookie right now. I want an immediate impact on the line.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #18
Gunbuny
Rookie

Bush could end up being a Marshall Faulk type. Give Domanick Davis a monster line though and you'll never miss Bush. It's all about the line.

Bring on a LT

Are ya nutz? Davis gets 1,000 yd season inspite of our O-line. Think if he had the luxury of a good one? The guy could put up Barry Sanders-like numbers!!!! Carr Could possibly be wiping his A** with manning if he had a line that protected him and an offense that allowed him to think for himself (audibles people) Unlike Manning, Carr is not a sitting duck in the pocket. Manning gives up weak sacks because my one-legged grandmother is more mobile. The 1st 3 rds of the draft should be devoted to Offensive linemen NOTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :brickwall Our scouts should not look at anything but O-Linemen
Gunbuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #19
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

For what it's worth...Sean Salisbury just said IF the Texans pick up David's contract then they should draft Bush.

I'm guessing this was recorded before Carr got his option picked up. I also dont agree with taking Bush...
Old 10-18-2005   #20
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
My suggestion isn't that we don't draft a LT but that we acquire a proven highly regarded experienced LT, then go after a play maker with a the later pick we get. I don't want anymore projects, I don't want to put the fate of our season or our franchise QB in the hands of an inexperienced rookie right now. I want an immediate impact on the line.
Do you know any highly regarded experienced LT's that will be a free agent next year?

Just take the rookie, and have your left tackle for the next 10-15 years.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read