Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2005   #21
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay I am not good with contract lingo and stuff. What does it mean that we picked up Carrs option year of his contract?

Someone on here stated that we should pick Linehart and let Arizona offer Leonard Davis and picks. I mentioned that somewhere else on a thread. I believe that drafting the most coveted player for more than one team allows us to get what we want and not have to wait 4 years for it to develop. Remember year 5 is what we are talking about here.

I believe if we get another high 1st rounder, we need to get Bush if he is still available. Remember some of the reason Johnson gets stopped is because of the lack of an Andre Johnson on the other side. This puts a more than improving Gaffney back in the slot where he can dominate after his career year.

This brings up another scenario. I don't know what the Lions think of Harrington but maybe we could ask for Mike Williams and a first for our pick. We get the wideout we need and use that lower 1st round on the lineman we need.

Lots of stuff to imagine huh?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #22
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I happy to see that Carr knows the team is committed to him. These are tough games, but when we get to select a high pick or two, then it will give me a little hope for the next season.
Old 10-18-2005   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
What does it mean that we picked up Carrs option year of his contract?
They haven't done anything yet. ESPN was just reporting the same thing McClain has said which is the Texans have every intention of picking up one of the two options. Carr signed a 7 year contract which had milestones which he has met which void the last three years of the contract. The Texans have an option to pay $5.5 mil to get two years back or $8 mil to get three years back. If they don't exercise either by the last game of the season, he is an UFA.

Now we are drafting Bush as a #2 WR?

The Lions would take almost a $8 mil cap hit to trade either Williams--it ain't happening. Rogers, maybe but what you really going to pay for a guy who both craves and is as tough as a saltine cracker?
Old 10-18-2005   #24
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Carr Extension

Not only should david carr get the bonus, but he should also get an extension. He has shown he can play above average when a far below average offensive line blocks. He has been hit countless times and belive me, he will pay more than 8 million in Medical bills. He will be living in pain every moment of his life when he retires. He deserves it.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #25
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
Not only should david carr get the bonus, but he should also get an extension. He has shown he can play above average when a far below average offensive line blocks. He has been hit countless times and belive me, he will pay more than 8 million in Medical bills. He will be living in pain every moment of his life when he retires. He deserves it.
I have no problem with keeping Carr, but the highlight statement is just wrong.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
if you think 170 yards passing is above average (along with his driving killing misfires on simple 3rd down passes). I think his 60 million dollars is quite enough compensation.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Okay I am not good with contract lingo and stuff. What does it mean that we picked up Carrs option year of his contract?

Someone on here stated that we should pick Linehart and let Arizona offer Leonard Davis and picks.
Leonard Davis sucks.

Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2005   #28
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I did not mean on sunday, just in general. is there a backup in the NFL you would like to have over carr with this sorry excuse of an O-line?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #29
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Im glad carr is staying
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #30
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Leonard Davis sucks.
Just a scenario. I think he is better than anyone we have right now. Then again who isn't?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #31
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think his 60 million dollars is quite enough compensation.
I couldn't agree more. And if this happens I will just add it to the list of poor decisions to overpay below average players that the Texans have made.

Time to test the 'its the offensive lines fault' and put Carr in a different uniform, IMHO. Banks could put up the numbers that Carr has and he is a backup at best, IMHO.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #32
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Leonard Davis sucks.
He'd make a better RG/RT than LT (All-Rookie when he played RG). Arizona is playing him out of position.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #33
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
I couldn't agree more. And if this happens I will just add it to the list of poor decisions to overpay below average players that the Texans have made.
Are you saying the Texans should not exercise the option and just let Carr walk at the end of the season?

FYI to everyone, the $5.5 or $8 mil is not new money on top of the $60 mil it is part of the "up to" $60 mil.
Old 10-18-2005   #34
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

The only problem with doing what you suggest with drafting Leinart is that we would have contract problems with whomever we picked up. Remember Phillip Rivers? He missed all of training camp, trying to get paid like a #1, when he was a #3. I'm sorry, but we don't have a Drew Brees at left tackle to dominate when Ferguson or whoever we trade for is too far behind to start at the beginning of the season.
hadaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #35
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you saying the Texans should not exercise the option and just let Carr walk at the end of the season?
yep, especially given the fact that they writing is on the walls saying that the entire team and management level will be gutted and rebuilt completely new.

honestly, what makes anyone think that Carr wants to stay. Getting beat to death, your fault, my fault, no ones fault, isn't a gr8 incentive to stay and get some more beatings.

Next season Carr is going to be looking at the same thing as his rookie season. A team that is starting out fresh and building. What makes anyone think that Carr can do better the second time around? His history? His toughness? His ability to adapt? Sorry but I don't think Carr is Houston's answer at QB. Cut the loses and let him go on somewhere where he might actually do something good.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #36
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
yep, especially given the fact that they writing is on the walls saying that the entire team and management level will be gutted and rebuilt completely new.
So what is your suggestion for a QB for the future? Carr walks down the road is certainly an option as it isn't like letting Peyton Manning go, but then what? Banks did ok prior to his hand injury (the last time he saw action) but IMO has looked like crud in both training camps and pre-season since. Ragone?--he is going to be an RFA after this year, so we can lock him up for a year at a reasonable rate but are you going to start him next year? Just curious what you see as the alternative.

As for motivation to stay, I would think having everything else gutted and you remain would be taken as a vote of confidence and odds are very bad we pull anyone in here to be head coach with anything close to as conservative reputation--1st there aren't that many of them and 2nd IMO McNair will make the sound business decision to have a decisive change. That all plays into what Carr wants--more passing, more shots down field, concentration on protecting him.
Old 10-18-2005   #37
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
He'd make a better RG/RT than LT (All-Rookie when he played RG). Arizona is playing him out of position.
yeah...that isn't fair to Davis even though he does suck right now....but he isn't a LT. He is a classic road grader type.

Old 10-18-2005   #38
SESupergenius

You know, it's sad when we are barely past our 5th game and we are already looking into next year.
Old 10-18-2005   #39
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
You know, it's sad when we are barely past our 5th game and we are already looking into next year.
At least we have the :rockets: , :astros: and the :killerbs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #40
SESupergenius

Well I thought that two until I saw Puljos jack one out to end the game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read