Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-17-2005   #1
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My first mock draft of the year (3 rounds)

I'm very short on time...hence only 3 rounds... but here is a first go at a mock for this year. Look it over and post your mocks and explain why you agree or disagree w/my picks.

1. D'brick (LT from Virginia)
Best LT in this years draft and he is sorely needed on our line.
2. Max gean-giles (Guard from georgia)
Just one more piece to add to the new line.
3. Elvis Dumerville (DE from louiville)
Pass rushing machine with good size and great lateral speed. Ball hawk.
3. Slay...(safty from Tech.)
His hits remind me of Roy Williams...good value.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #2
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

no opinions? no comments? NO ONE ELSE HAS A MOCK DRAFT???

personally im looking foward to seeing all of the mocks from people like beer-lover, d-rek, and some of the guys from last year.
Old 10-17-2005   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
I'm very short on time...hence only 3 rounds... but here is a first go at a mock for this year. Look it over and post your mocks and explain why you agree or disagree w/my picks.

1. D'brick (LT from Virginia)
Best LT in this years draft and he is sorely needed on our line.
2. Max gean-giles (Guard from georgia)
Just one more piece to add to the new line.
3. Elvis Dumerville (DE from louiville)
Pass rushing machine with good size and great lateral speed. Ball hawk.
3. Slay...(safty from Tech.)
His hits remind me of Roy Williams...good value.
Dumerville wont last till the 3rd. Here's my first idea

1. Dbick-no brainer
2. Bobby Carpenter- Excellent passrusher, good size, overshadowed by AJ Hawk.
3. Erik Gill (TE from Pitt)- 6'5, 240, reliable target
3. Slay
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #4
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

if elvis keeps playing like he is he wont last, but maybe pick him up in the second because i feel giles will go late first to a team like indy or new england.
Old 10-17-2005   #5
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

If Max Jean Gilles is available in the second round its a no brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #6
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

1. OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Virginia
2. OLB Thomas Howard UTEP
3. TE Jeff King, Virginia Tech
3. OG Mark Setterstrom, Minnesota
Old 10-17-2005   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
no opinions? no comments? NO ONE ELSE HAS A MOCK DRAFT???
Some of us like to see the body of work for the 2005 season first. Making mocks right now just place players in slots based on reputation. There is a ton of football to play. The danger of falling in love with a guy based on a few early games is that he may be pulverizing chumps that will never sniff the NFL. Go take a look at Kipers draft board....I guarantee you that it's not going to be the same in April.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2005   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Some of us like to see the body of work for the 2005 season first. Making mocks right now just place players in slots based on reputation. There is a ton of football to play. The danger of falling in love with a guy based on a few early games is that he may be pulverizing chumps that will never sniff the NFL.
others of us wait to comment until the underclassman officially declare for the draft. there is enough "body of work" to from a basis of opinion but it only takes one addition or subtraction at the top of the board to cause major changes.

you can do a "all senior mock draft" but for now its probably more helpful to make your own draft board and rate the players as you see them, marking the underclassman with *. then in March we can get serious & have some fun. frankly I feel the fans on this board have done and can do a better job than what we've seen so far from Casserly, you can take that to the bank
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #9
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp
If Max Jean Gilles is available in the second round its a no brainer.
Yeah trade a 2nd and a 3rd for Ricky Williams..........
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
others of us wait to comment until the underclassman officially declare for the draft. there is enough "body of work" to from a basis of opinion but it only takes one addition or subtraction at the top of the board to cause major changes.
On some but not all, but I agree with you on balance....

Some things I keep in mind when I watch NCAA players (I have a College Fantasy team every year as well) Not every top prospect goes against a quality opponent or player each week so you have to see them against multiple teams in multiple situations.

If say Vince Young never played OSU and made those clutch passes to drive and win the game in money time vs a tough defense I may not have as high an opinion on him if he only hammers the weak sisters of the poor. He can put the ball where it needs to be...and has proven that to me....but the point is I really like to see big time players play big vs other big time players. It's hard to get me excited watching them tear up lesser quality opposition that will never sniff the pros.

I think a big mistake most make is to just look at stats in College and try to extrapolate them to the pros...but at the pro level there are no weak links to exploit. Scatback types always shine in College...where they tend to struggle in the pros where there is less variance in speed...and speed is everywhere. That same 100 yard field is much smaller in the NFL. Breaking tackles is a much more coveted skill than pure breakaway speed alone.

I also think it is a mistake to assume that the Colleges are being truthful about the size of their players.

I have nothing against early mocks....I read most of them...but I was just answering why YoungTexanFan wasn't getting much response. Early mocks help the other fans get familiar with the prospects...and heck, the draft is all we have to look forward to this year.

Old 10-18-2005   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the draft is all we have to look forward to this year.
speaking of mock drafts, Vinny can you pull last years 1st Mock draft on this board where you were the GM of the Texans? it would be nice to see how a real GM picks, all I can remember now is that you traded down, I think twice, then selected David Baas somewhere around #22 and picked up Canty in the 2nd rd. you did a real nice job (thought at the time) now in hindsight it should look even better
Old 10-18-2005   #12
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Here's the recap. Mock 1.0 Recap

Used the thread search tool to find it. Makes it pretty easy for those who want to look up old threads.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #13
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Some of us like to see the body of work for the 2005 season first. Making mocks right now just place players in slots based on reputation. There is a ton of football to play. The danger of falling in love with a guy based on a few early games is that he may be pulverizing chumps that will never sniff the NFL. Go take a look at Kipers draft board....I guarantee you that it's not going to be the same in April.
How about by what we need by position. Here is my mock draft, position wise for the first three rounds:

1st: Trade down and for an offensive lineman,
then draft OT
2nd: LB/DE
3rd: TE, No risk again on Joppru

Not sure how many picks we get but that is where I would begin.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
frankly I feel the fans on this board have done and can do a better job than what we've seen so far from Casserly, you can take that to the bank

thats more of what i was trying to imply through an early mock draft because my opinion of many players will change dramaticly over the season. I will follow players more closely though if others show what they have done up to this point.

I am also trying to point out people i feel could help us if we were to draft them. beerlover is right when he said it is too early for anyone but seniors and vinny was right when he said it is too early to put together a complete mock draft and expect it to hold up, but as for me, this is what i am looking foward to this season. I love the NFL draft.
Old 10-18-2005   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Here's the recap. Mock 1.0 Recap

Used the thread search tool to find it. Makes it pretty easy for those who want to look up old threads.
COOL. here is the second one as well- http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...005+MOCK+DRAFT

both interesting & funny
Old 10-18-2005   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

LOL, I had a hell of a draft. My first day draft was David Baas, C/OG, Michigan, Chris Canty, DE Virginia, Demarcus Ware LB, Troy State, Luis Castillo, DT, Northwestern

I will get the mock draft forum up early this year if you guys want to start pre-mocking soon.

Old 10-18-2005   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I will get the mock draft forum up early this year if you guys want to start pre-mocking soon.
vinny you know we want one early this year. i know myself, beerlover, f-minus and the others who were really into the draft especially want one early this year.

also...for now could we start a top prospect list for only seniors. we have one that is mixed and does not list my positions in groups.
Old 10-18-2005   #18
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Three rounds no trades
Round 1 D Brick
Round 2 Greg Eslinger
Round 3a MLB Spencer Havner UCLA
Round 3b TE David Thomas UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #19
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
vinny you know we want one early this year. i know myself, beerlover, f-minus and the others who were really into the draft especially want one early this year.

also...for now could we start a top prospect list for only seniors. we have one that is mixed and does not list my positions in groups.
Id love to have a list of only seniors. Its confusing trying to remember whos a junior or whatever.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #20
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now we have the #1 pick for the draft. So here is how I would try to work it.

#1. (#3 overall) Trade down 2-3 spots, pick up a 2nd and get LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson from Virginia.

#2. (#33 overall) Focusing on offense again we go for a big guard. OG Davin Joseph of Oklahoma. Or Max Jean-Gilles.

#3. (#35 overall) Switch to defense for this one. Since we have a new coach who is going 4-3, we take an ILB. Abdul Hodge of Iowa.

#4 (#65 overall) Back to offense. Jason Avant, WR from Michigan.

#5. (#75 overall, pick from NO) Dominique Byrd, TE from USC.

Recap.

Tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Guard Davin Joseph
ILB Abdul Hodge
WR Jason Avant
TE Dominique Byrd
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read