Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2005   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chronicle article on OL changes, performance in Seattle

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3399280
I spent some time focusing on the play of the rookie center and have the
impression that his NFL debut could have been worse. He's got some
upside because he obviously has excellent quickness and hustle, though don't know about his strength as his lower body is a bit undersized.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I will watch the game again but my first impresson of Hodgdon isn't a good one. He gets pushed around too easy and I don't think he may make it in this league. At first glance his play was underwhelming.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #3
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I will watch the game again but my first impresson of Hodgdon isn't a good one. He gets pushed around too easy and I don't think he may make it in this league. At first glance his play was underwhelming.

Hodgons getting pushed around? I didn't get a chance to see that, because Wistrom was blowing past Chester Pitts so bad and eating his lunch on the way. Man that was really bad, then they put Rivers out there on Wistrom and you could see Wistrom licking his lips, naturally blowing by Rivers too!
8 opposing men on your line, what to do. They know we have no threat so they bring the farm.

bobby 119C :brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
8 opposing men on your line, what to do. They know we have no threat so they bring the farm.

A team with NFL caliber offensive coaches would attempt to install an NFL offense that could take advantage of that alignment.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
Hodgons getting pushed around? I didn't get a chance to see that, because Wistrom was blowing past Chester Pitts so bad and eating his lunch on the way. Man that was really bad, then they put Rivers out there on Wistrom and you could see Wistrom licking his lips, naturally blowing by Rivers too!

Pitts had a good game and Wistrom got his sack on Rivers btw.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
A team with NFL caliber offensive coaches would attempt to install an NFL offense that could take advantage of that alignment.

Yeah. You would think that an NFL coaching staff might figure out a way to use these incredibly fast recievers we have (Bradford, Mathis) to catch quick slants.

Anyone remember Bradfords touchdown against Miami a couple of years ago?

Anyone think this Texans team today could possibly execute that play?

Anyone think back in 2003 when Bradford scored that touchdown that two years later we'd be 0-5 and wishing we could score like we did back in the good old days?

This is depressing. I think the Astros are keeping a handful of hard core sports nuts in this town from jumping off of buildings.
Old 10-17-2005   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

honestly I don't know what the Texans seen in Hodgdon just becasue he held his own in the Pac-10? and why they waited till the 5th rd to address the OL? picking Travis Johnson #1 then making the Babin & P-Buc trades have killed the Texans line building process so now this is whats left, someone has to be held accountable for this gross oversight
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-17-2005   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny

No big deal. Most rookie linemen get pushed around. He has no real business playing IMO. The guy was a 5th rounder even. No reason in the world for him to be playing. I can't believe that he could possibly be a better answer to our problems in the middle than McKinney or Washington at this point and if he is then that just adds to the case for sending this regime out the door.

Dom's is just trying to throw a bunch of junk against the wall and hoping some of it sticks. It's the kind of thing head coaches who are about to go back to being defensive coordinators somewhere else do.
Old 10-17-2005   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
This is depressing. I think the Astros are keeping a handful of hard core sports nuts in this town from jumping off of buildings.
I lived in San Antonio for several years before I moved to Houston, and was a Spurs season ticket holder from a couple of years pre-Robinson to a few years after. I went from their 20 win seasons to championships. I am anticipating a good season from the Spurs to keep me upbeat with my teams.

It is a long journey from worst to first, but man, it makes those championships sweeter. I keep thinking of that while I watch the Texans.

BUT, the Spurs are 0-4 this preseason. Should I be worried?

Last edited by Runner; 10-17-2005 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-17-2005   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner

It is a long journey from worst to first, but man, it makes those championships sweeter.
"The sweet is never as sweet, without the sour."
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #11
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I will say the best potential O-line we have is Wand LT, Wiegert LG, Washington C, Pitts RG and either Wade or Riley at RT. I do not want Pitts on the left side of the line. Working together is a key component particularly on the left side and I think Wand and Wiegert would work well together. I don't want McKinney in there either.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #12
William.carter
Veteran

Default I'm no expert but...

I don't think that Drew looked that bad out there considering it was his first NFL game and it was under less than ideal circumstances. What disappointed me is that McKinney gave up the two late game sacks even thought he moved over to guard. Drew more of less looked like he held his own. I'm sure Vinny's opinion will be more insightful than mine though.
William.carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #13
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Since we've stepped out of reality as a team this year, I have an idea. Use a lipogram to decide who stays and who goes. Everybody on the O-line with a "y" in their name is cut. That's Riley and McKinney. Why are we so dead-set on these two lame ducks? All people with "W"s in their name play. That's Weigert, Wade, and Wand. Pitts is the best thing we have on the line, so put him out there. Of course, this still leaves Center undecided, but no plan is perfect, as Capers has shown. The Houston Lipograms. What do you think? We only play well on days that don't end in "y." ... :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
Since we've stepped out of reality as a team this year, I have an idea. Use a lipogram to decide who stays and who goes. Everybody on the O-line with a "y" in their name is cut. That's Riley and McKinney. Why are we so dead-set on these two lame ducks? All people with "W"s in their name play. That's Weigert, Wade, and Wand. Pitts is the best thing we have on the line, so put him out there. Of course, this still leaves Center undecided, but no plan is perfect, as Capers has shown. The Houston Lipograms. What do you think? We only play well on days that don't end in "y." ... :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall
That leaves Washignton at center, but Weary is problematic, since he has the Y and the W.

The lipogram system of determining your starting line-up - at least it is a system.
Old 10-17-2005   #15
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great One
Pitts, other than the penalties, played a pretty good game. Especially in comparison to what we have seen from Riley. Why don't you want him on the left side???
I believe he's an aggressive blocker who is better suited for the right side and I think Wand would work well with Wiegert. Its just a gut feeling, but Pitts seems to have problems with left tackle as much as anyone. Wand wasn't that bad, but he suffered from I believe a lack of coordination and cooperation of Pitts. Pitts gets a lot more penalties than Wand. Its funny how Wand has fallen into the pitts and is nowhere to be seen it seems like. Wand at the end of year 2 and 3 actually looked pretty good overall. It was in TC when all you know what broke loose. I still smell a rat. Perhaps he criticized the staff, because he was the darling of the staff for a long time.
Old 10-17-2005   #16
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

One of the problems Capers has with the O-line is that he is always talking about putting the best 5 atheletes on the field, but the problem is the best 5 atheletes may not work well together. You want the best 5 who work together across the line for a functioning O-line. That's why I made the suggestion I did. I just feel that Wand and Wiegert will work well together along with Washington at the center position. The right side would be your run side for the most part and that is where Pitts, Wade and Riley are a best fit in my estimation. Its all about who works the best together.
Old 10-17-2005   #17
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I believe he's an aggressive blocker who is better suited for the right side and I think Wand would work well with Wiegert. Its just a gut feeling, but Pitts seems to have problems with left tackle as much as anyone. Wand wasn't that bad, but he suffered from I believe a lack of coordination and cooperation of Pitts. Pitts gets a lot more penalties than Wand. Its funny how Wand has fallen into the pitts and is nowhere to be seen it seems like. Wand at the end of year 2 and 3 actually looked pretty good overall. It was in TC when all you know what broke loose. I still smell a rat. Perhaps he criticized the staff, because he was the darling of the staff for a long time.
There is something to be said for sneaky suspicions and gut feelings in this league. I like your idea. Pitts looked good in the Seattle game, but that was compared to Riley, and my dog looks good at LT compared to Riley. Wasn't Pitts a guard-type to begin with?
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

I don't think Wand and Pitts have a problem with each other, especially after Pitts signed his new contract and the "left tackle money" couldn't be an issue between them anymore. They've been roommates in camp in previous years if I recall correctly, and they took the brunt of Pendry's wrath together last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pitts himself prefers the LT - Wand, LG - Pitts formation. The players know what would work best from an o-line unit perspective. "Wand - Pitts" is better than any available "Pitts - whoever" combination, no matter who is the best LT between the two.

Now we just need some team leaders to tell the coaches to put petty differences aside and field the best team.
Old 10-17-2005   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
Wasn't Pitts a guard-type to begin with?
Depends on what you mean by to begin with. Pitts had never played any OL position other than LT prior to last year, but the Texans drafted him believing he was best suited to play LG.
Old 10-17-2005   #20
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Depends on what you mean by to begin with. Pitts had never played any OL position other than LT prior to last year, but the Texans drafted him believing he was best suited to play LG.
I don't get that, what's really wrong with the Texans, what makes them think that if a player is playing at a position he will play better at another position. If they need a position filled why not go after a player that fills that position. The line is a glaring example, but didnt Morrency get drafted as a running back. Why did he start at wide receiver. Wheres Armstrong and Mathis. I saw Armstrong on the bench. Why isnt he on the field dammit these texans decisions are really frustrating.
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read