Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2005   #21
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

I just hope that he survives the rest of this season. And I really hope McNair take a look at this board some time.
Old 10-17-2005   #22
billtxus
Rookie

Sure there is a rule, its the $8 million dollar rule in this case. The team can pick up an $8 million dollar option at the end of the year for Carr. You don't think he would jeopordize this to speak his mind on management. If he came out and trashed management he would be out of here faster than you can say Billy Wagner. I don't blame him that's a lot of cash, but its certainly one reason why he is always positive about the team. Every player has this hangin over their heads more or less, since the owners can renegotiate or void contracts any time they want, but players don't have the same freedom.
billtxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #23
aliaspgk
Rookie

Also if you come out and start bashing management and the team you move into the realm of being labeled a "trouble maker" who is uncoachable and not a team player. You risk the chance of becoming a Terrel Owens and even the guys who arent premadonnas like Owens still get the same label of being a trouble maker. Look what has happened to Lavar Arrington in DC...solid guy who questioned the coaching and is now being represented as a bad guy trying to sabatoge the team. Players have to choose their words and actions carefully because the worst thing these days...from a future contract standpoint and a media standpoint is to grab the label of a trouble maker.
aliaspgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #24
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtxus
Sure there is a rule, its the $8 million dollar rule in this case. The team can pick up an $8 million dollar option at the end of the year for Carr. You don't think he would jeopordize this to speak his mind on management. If he came out and trashed management he would be out of here faster than you can say Billy Wagner. I don't blame him that's a lot of cash, but its certainly one reason why he is always positive about the team. Every player has this hangin over their heads more or less, since the owners can renegotiate or void contracts any time they want, but players don't have the same freedom.
Carr isn't about the money if that is what you are implying. He isn't just going to go around hammering everyone either...He is classier than that. Here is a good piece on Carr's option done by Keith at hpf. Keith has the keenest insight on the cap as it pertains to our future and Carr.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/scout/scout119.html

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #25
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Carr isn't about the money if that is what you are implying.
That has been my impression of David since day one, watching his pieces before the draft and right after the draft. The guy didnt hold out and even agreed to his contract BEFORE the draft. That says something about the guy's character.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #26
SESupergenius

Vinny what is your take now on Carr, do you still feel the offensive line is taking more than their share of the blame and Carr still is a big part of the problem?
Old 10-17-2005   #27
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
That has been my impression of David since day one, watching his pieces before the draft and right after the draft. The guy didnt hold out and even agreed to his contract BEFORE the draft. That says something about the guy's character.
I guess you could also call it "job security". I too would get the contract hammered down if I already knew that someone was going to hire me.

Personally it does not imply greed, not in the least.
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-17-2005   #28
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Vinny what is your take now on Carr, do you still feel the offensive line is taking more than their share of the blame and Carr still is a big part of the problem?
I think we will resign Carr at this point, get a new coaching staff and draft a top lineman. I think Carr deserves another shot at this thing but I still have reservations about his decision making. I don't think Carr is elite, but I also don't think it's fair to judge him in an absolute manner either. I think he locks on to his first read way too much and is a bit mechanical and not real instinctive. Carr played ok last night but everyone gets excited about 170 yards passing out of Carr. Many people just pointed to Gaffney as an excuse for Carr not having targets but when he is the first read in the offense he catches 10 passes....so that kind of blows up the theory that AJ is the only guy who gets open on the Texans. People need to get over the Gaffney excuse. In aprox 50 starts, if you aren't the first read or the dump pass you just don't get the ball with Carr at the helm. Will that be different under a different coaching staff and a better line? probably - We will get a chance to find out, but I would try to bring in a veteran QB to push him and have some honest competition for the spot. The days of just handing out starting positions on potential has got to go away on this team.

Old 10-17-2005   #29
SESupergenius

I somewhat agree with you, but this line just doesn't allow him to check off his reads and he needs to get the ball out because of it. He has to lock on to recievers, but a lot of QB's lock on to recievers based on the play call. We can't keep looking for our primary reciever on a play to get open. Seattle started to put guys closer to line of scrimmage to take away the quick passes, but when we are only running 2 WRs out we can't spread the defense. I thought Carr did a fantastic job of locating his targets with the cirmunstances given. I contend that the coaching staff is limiting his reads to quick pass because the line can not hold. The coaching staff needs to ditch the zone blocking scheme and implement a new one. Our whole scheme an overhaul because we do not have an element of surprise anywhere in our game. What we need to do is bring in a coach that takes hold of this situation and provides Carr a truer QB coach that pushes him A backup QB is not going to do that (see Kent Graham).
Old 10-17-2005   #30
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I would try to bring in a veteran QB to push him and have some honest competition for the spot. The days of just handing out starting positions on potential has got to go away on this team.
I agreed with most of what you said about Carr until right here. If the Texans put 8 M on the table to exercise their option to retain Carr for multiple years,
they had better be far beyond any uncertainties he couldn't deliver without the competition of another QB pushing him to excel. If they don't feel that Carr is there man without reservation, trade him to the highest bidder and move on.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #31
mean mark8
Veteran

I personally think Carr could be a really good QB if he had been taught professional football from the start. Palmer also blew it with Couch. I remember last yr when Monday Night Football went behind the scenes w/ the Rams defense before a game against the Browns. The defense said you don't have to worry about the QB looking off a safety because the Browns' QBs didn't do it. Palmer was their OC who "taught" Couch the NFL game. The NFL is different from college ball and it takes the right coaching to help a QB make the right adjustments.

I also remember our 1st yr reading a defender's comments about our offense where he said he thought we were trying to lull them to sleep w/ such a vanilla offense. Only, he started laughing because that was all we ran. Carr's development has been stunted and I don't see any reason to leave him in to be killed anymore. His confidence is shaken and rightly so. IMO, I think giving him a chance to watch from the sidelines might help him see things and maybe slow the game down for him. I don't mean for him to permanently ride the pine, but give him a breather. I know there will be lots of people saying how can benching him build his confidence. I think if anyone were to go charging into a machine gun nest with bullets flying like mosquitos around their heads, they'd appreciate a breather too.
mean mark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #32
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
I have a question and I am asking it seriously:

Is there a rule that the players can not speak out against the coaching staff or the team?

It seems there are a lot of players that get interviewed and they "hold back" what they really want to say. or what should be said.

Is there a reason for this as far as backlash or repercussion?
Of course most players don't bluntly say what they think. That is why so many people speak in cliché in this profession.

There is a huge difference between what the players say "over beer and pizza" with friends and what they say to the press, or even to the coaches in this regime. It's just like any other job - you aren't very blunt with bosses who don't take differing opinions well, and there is a lot of money on the line with these players.

I find it hilarious when some opinions are dismissed out of hand here on this board, and proof that it is wrong is supplied by a link to a newspaper article or interview quote (this is not directed at anyone in particular; I reference articles and interviews too). Some people get very vituperative in their defense of things they see in the press or other public sources. Do we believe everything we read in the papers or on the web as much as we believe what a football player says?
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #33
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I agreed with most of what you said about Carr until right here. If the Texans put 8 M on the table to exercise their option to retain Carr for multiple years,
they had better be far beyond any uncertainties he couldn't deliver without the competition of another QB pushing him to excel. If they don't feel that Carr is there man without reservation, trade him to the highest bidder and move on.
The cap hit on the bonus is spread out over 2 or 3 years. Carr isn't going to be making any more than he is making now...which is too much based on his production...but I don't know of any team in the NFL that just hands important roster positions to players for half a decade without pushing them if they only pump out 150 yards a game passing (that is his average over the last 13 games).....fair or not he needs the competition.

Old 10-17-2005   #34
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
Good point Vinny. But here is a question back at you. Is he getting paid too much for his joke of an o-line to not to block and have the living snot beat out of him every game? Have a joke of an offensive coordinator or coach? Or is he not getting paid enough to put up with all that bull****?
This isn't kindergarten....Life isn't fair. 60 million dollars is quite enough to balance out being an expansion QB. Carr and his family aren’t going to go hungry in this 'unfair' situation. Is 8 million dollars smart money to pay a guy to 'manage' an offense? Not to me....but I'm not the among the Einsteins running this team.

Old 10-17-2005   #35
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I totally agree that we need to draft a excellent lineman...but what I am concerned about is are we going to draft a TE this year, or are we going to get one through free agency. I think that would make a world of difference for Carr.
We need both, and more and more we will have to depend on the college
Draft to secure our talent. Looks like Todd Wade is another bust, at the very least not worth the ridiculous 10 M cash bonus we paid him last year. That's LT money and he's not even a decent RT. Perhaps the only way we can attract FA talent here is to pay huge premiums, because after this year even
less appeal for top vets to come to play for this franchise.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #36
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Nobody owes Carr bags of money. I get really ill at all the Carr apologists as much as I get sick of all the Carr bashers. Same type fan if you ask me. These problems are not all black or all white, but most people just like to be extreeeeeeme in todays culture.

Old 10-17-2005   #37
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
But shouldn't he expect a little compensation for the horrific job of others.
If 60 million isn't enough for average production I don't know what is. SIXTY MILLION.

There is a little something called the salary cap. You can't just keep paying ALL-PRO money to non ALL Pro guys since you have to pay the other players.

Old 10-17-2005   #38
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I'm not in the blame everyone but Carr crowd since I don't think he is all that good...so there's your answer. The offense is horrible for a number of reasons...and Carr is just not that special in my eyes....we will just have to dissagree on that. Carr is good enough to manage the team...but hes a poor mans Jake Plummer.

Old 10-17-2005   #39
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Here an interesting thought. Carr said they are playing max protect all game. Why not just put in Wand at TE for the running downs next to Riley or Pitts? At least we would get some use out of him out there.
Old 10-17-2005   #40
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Because Pendry doesn't believe Wand is good enough to suit up, much less play.

And people want to promote HIM to head coach?
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read