Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2005   #1
aliaspgk
Rookie

Default Carr Interview on Radio 610

I was in my car listening to 610 at 7 this morning and David Carr came on for a suprise interview after he had just finished his early morning workout. I was extremely please/somewhat suprised to actually hear some real insight from him instead of the usual "we are disapointed" or "my guys are still fightin their tails off" type cliche quotes. He came out and said that they have been forced to run max protection every play and while they are doing this they basically eliminate the majority of what they can do on offense. He talked about how he only has 2 recievers going anywhere down the field, one running a fade or out towards the sidelines and one over the center of the field and with max protection on they either have to be open, which is not likely, or he looks for dominick for a dump or has to eat the ball. He said (roughly) that he is unable to try and get the ball down the field because they cant run anything that is not max protection or he will go down.

While I was watching last night and listening to him this morning I am sure that David Carr is the absoulte last of our problems. If he is given time and a reciever is even remotely open he fires a strike. People will come on this board and try to say fancy things like "he doesnt go through his progressions" or "he cant read the defense" but he does all he can with the horrid system we have set up around him. I saw actually somewhat relax in the pocket and actually go through his progressions and reads (all 3 of them) for the first time and he was blindsided by Grant Wistrom from behind. People will say he held onto the ball to long but do you watch the best quarterbacks in the league? They have time to look for the their 2nd and 3rd options without being leveled. If Manning lined up behind our line and dropped back he would blindsided in the exact same way...watch the Colts play and see if Manning has to "get the ball out in 2.3 seconds" the way Carr is forced to.

I was just dumbfounded by the fact that for the last two years we havent addressed personal and instead all we read about from the team is how we are going to work on short timing routes to get the ball out of Davids hands as quickly as possible. Thats just poor overall vision from our management and coaches-you dont address the fact that you have a terrible but instead try to devise an offensive scheme where you continually have to drop back and get the ball off to a reciever or rb only 5 yards away very quickly so you dont get sacked. I mean I thought it was embarassing that all offseason that I kept reading that we were blowing horns off in practice to tell David to get rid of the ball----BLOCK FOR HIM AND LET HIM MAKE A PLAY. When he has time he has as much ability as anyone, he throws hard and crisp over the middle of the field and the throws that he sails are because he would rather not throw an interception towards a reciever who isnt even close to open. If you watched Bradfords fades towards the sidelines...my god he cant get open. He can sometimes steam roll down the field but he cant shake anyone in an intermediate route.

From the interview and his play I hope Carr keeps his head up...because he is getting nothing work with. Period.
aliaspgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #2
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I listened to that interview as well and I caught another interesting point. Did you hear his response when he was asked about changiing the play at the line of scrimmage? He said he's allwed to change from a running play to a running play. Go figure...I swear that's what he said. He said he can change the side the play is designed to run to and that's basically all he can do. You could definately hear the frustration in his voice. For once I would just like to hear what these players have to say with the gloves off.
Old 10-17-2005   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
Are you telling me that the guy got back around 4:00am and went and worked out when he got back, thats big.
Many of the players do that; if they don't they go home, take a nap, and have to do that mandatory workout later. It is tough to do, but if they do the workout after getting off the plane they have the rest of Monday off leading into their normal Tuesday off day.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #4
aliaspgk
Rookie

I also heard when Carr said that he is only allowed to check runnings plays to the other side of the line. He also said that he has talked to his friends that are other qbs in the nfl and they have told him that he is not going to be successful with an offense that is incapable of even taking a shot at a big play. He just sounds frustrated with how everything is being run and he really should be...if you are an NFL quarterback and your only chance at a touchdown of over 15 yards is if your reciever gets lucky and breaks away for a long run after catching at 5 yard screen you have to be going crazy.
aliaspgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #5
SESupergenius

I feel bad for Carr. A few people around here and have been trying to dog Carr and it is unwarranted. Sure the guy isn't going to throw 100%, 90% 80 or even 70% of his passes, most QB's in this league don't. But to when you are playing teams that are pinning their ears back and getting the QB, he has no options. Our offensive scheme is sickening. It painfully obvious why we can't beat teams that play cover 2, we max protect and only have 2 recievers out, and DD to check down to. Everyone in the world can see that our line is the problem, some people just aren't getting it.

Last edited by SESupergenius; 10-17-2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-17-2005   #6
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaspgk
I was in my car listening to 610 at 7 this morning and David Carr came on for a suprise interview after he had just finished his early morning workout. I was extremely please/somewhat suprised to actually hear some real insight from him instead of the usual "we are disapointed" or "my guys are still fightin their tails off" type cliche quotes. He came out and said that they have been forced to run max protection every play and while they are doing this they basically eliminate the majority of what they can do on offense. He talked about how he only has 2 recievers going anywhere down the field, one running a fade or out towards the sidelines and one over the center of the field and with max protection on they either have to be open, which is not likely, or he looks for dominick for a dump or has to eat the ball. He said (roughly) that he is unable to try and get the ball down the field because they cant run anything that is not max protection or he will go down.

While I was watching last night and listening to him this morning I am sure that David Carr is the absoulte last of our problems. If he is given time and a reciever is even remotely open he fires a strike. People will come on this board and try to say fancy things like "he doesnt go through his progressions" or "he cant read the defense" but he does all he can with the horrid system we have set up around him. I saw actually somewhat relax in the pocket and actually go through his progressions and reads (all 3 of them) for the first time and he was blindsided by Grant Wistrom from behind. People will say he held onto the ball to long but do you watch the best quarterbacks in the league? They have time to look for the their 2nd and 3rd options without being leveled. If Manning lined up behind our line and dropped back he would blindsided in the exact same way...watch the Colts play and see if Manning has to "get the ball out in 2.3 seconds" the way Carr is forced to.

I was just dumbfounded by the fact that for the last two years we havent addressed personal and instead all we read about from the team is how we are going to work on short timing routes to get the ball out of Davids hands as quickly as possible. Thats just poor overall vision from our management and coaches-you dont address the fact that you have a terrible but instead try to devise an offensive scheme where you continually have to drop back and get the ball off to a reciever or rb only 5 yards away very quickly so you dont get sacked. I mean I thought it was embarassing that all offseason that I kept reading that we were blowing horns off in practice to tell David to get rid of the ball----BLOCK FOR HIM AND LET HIM MAKE A PLAY. When he has time he has as much ability as anyone, he throws hard and crisp over the middle of the field and the throws that he sails are because he would rather not throw an interception towards a reciever who isnt even close to open. If you watched Bradfords fades towards the sidelines...my god he cant get open. He can sometimes steam roll down the field but he cant shake anyone in an intermediate route.

From the interview and his play I hope Carr keeps his head up...because he is getting nothing work with. Period.
what do you mean we did nothing personel wise. We drafted Hodgon and got Riley? What else did you expect Casserly and Capers to do??? LOL

bobby 119C :brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #7
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaspgk

Excellent post, I hope everybody on this board reads it so they can realize that QB is the least of the Texans problems right now.
Old 10-17-2005   #8
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

When is capers going to be on 610 tonight btw ?
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy
When is capers going to be on 610 tonight btw ?
I believe his show is in the 5 o'clock hour.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #10
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I believe his show is in the 5 o'clock hour.
That's midnight here, thanks a boon
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #11
5genTexan
Rookie

Default David Carr Should...

I agree with most everyone on this thread. David Carr is NOT the problem. Good grief, he say's "Hike!" and he's running for his life! It is really pathetic to watch. I truly think that maybe, just maybe, he should step very slightly past the usual, politically correct cliches and say something to get the management of this team thinking about a different direction. On the interview this morning he was leaning toward it, but didn't quite take the step. I know, I know, we don't need discontent on the offense, but we cannot get any worse than we are right now. Someone needs to livin' the place up a little, maybe start some controversy. We're dying over here!
5genTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5genTexan
but we cannot get any worse than we are right now.
My gawd man! Don't say that! At least one person has said that after every game - look where it's gotten us.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #13
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a question and I am asking it seriously:

Is there a rule that the players can not speak out against the coaching staff or the team?

It seems there are a lot of players that get interviewed and they "hold back" what they really want to say. or what should be said.

Is there a reason for this as far as backlash or repercussion?
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5genTexan
I agree with most everyone on this thread. David Carr is NOT the problem. Good grief, he say's "Hike!" and he's running for his life! It is really pathetic to watch.
I disagree. Carr is not THE problem, but he is part of the problem at this point in time.

I still think he holds on to the ball too long. I still think he scrambles when he has good protection. And I still think he needs to work on his reads.

I dont want to get rid of Carr. Heck, I even want to keep him next year, which will be an 8 million roster bonus. I just want to build up his walls. And get him a new coaching staff who will play to win.

Would Mike Leach be interested in a coaching position?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #15
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
I have a question and I am asking it seriously:

Is there a rule that the players can not speak out against the coaching staff or the team?
I think its kind of an unwritten rule. With that said, Im glad Carr said that much atleast so we can have a better idea of whats really going on, why he only audibles to run plays and why he dumps it to Davis so often. Its not that has cant do it, thats just what they tell him to do.
Old 10-17-2005   #16
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 432 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected

I was a Carr questioner in the beginning of the season. But after seeing him last night...and re-watching the game this morning, I see that most of the problems are around him and the options he has.

And his interview this morning confirmed that. My avatar says it, and it has been said a million times on this board: It is the Capers system.
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #17
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

THE TEXANS DRAFT...good question about coach leach...the answer is no...he should stay at texas tech so that my boys there keep winning...but the texans might want to look at how coach leach sets up the offensive line there...ok everyone knows our o-line can't pass block worth a darn...so what the line coach should look at is texas tech's o-lineman's splits...they're freakin 3-5 yards between lineman...why is that big...because when you add 10 yds for the rush end to run around he's less affective...ie dwight freeney...i think the texan's staff should really look into this...because the lineman we have at tech are 5th rounders at best and they produce...it's a lot easier to make a defender run 10-12 yds and get the ball off than 8-10 yds...and when you get a blitz up the middle it's easier to push him on his side and knock him off balance than to take it head on...it just takes timing...once you get that down carr's pocket will look like techs...just ask kansas state how they liked it
Old 10-17-2005   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly
I was a Carr questioner in the beginning of the season. But after seeing him last night...and re-watching the game this morning, I see that most of the problems are around him and the options he has.

And his interview this morning confirmed that. My avatar says it, and it has been said a million times on this board: It is the Capers system.
I'd like to see Carr with another staff also....but I'd like to see us have some honest competition for every starting position on this team. Many people just pointed at Gaffney as incompetent but when he is the first option in this offense he catches 10 passes. That kind of blows up the theory that Gaffney isn't good enough....he just needs to be the primary read to get the ball. Like it or not I think Carr will be here for two more years....we will all get to see him work with another staff...but this year will continue to be more 170 passing games with 10-13 points a game.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #19
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

this was by far the best game for Carr. He didn't hold onto the ball as long as he usually does, and he didn't run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage to get charged with a sack. He didn't run out of his pocket unnecessarily as often as he has been doing. He even stepped up into the pocket a few times.

So Carr wasn't THE problem in this game, but he was still PART of the problem.

McKinney is still a waste. It was glaringly obvious last night when he moved to left guard and got blown up. Hodgden looked a hell of a lot better at center than McKinney has. Drew had a couple penalties, but he held his own blocking, which is more than I can say about Steve. Drew had one bad connection with Carr, but from watching it in slo-mo, it looked more like Carr left too quickly and just didn't secure the ball. From what I saw, Drew put the ball where it needed to be.

Overall, there really isn't very many positive things to say about this game. Dunta played a good game, and Peek had his moments, but other than the TD by DD, I can't say much else.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #20
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9
So Carr wasn't THE problem in this game, but he was still PART of the problem.
Id say this offense he is forced to run is part of the problem

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read