Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2005   #21
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans keep Carr ... then they better trade the top pick in the draft for the mother lode and pick the two highest rated lineman available . Not highest rated by our scouts but the highest rated by Mel Kiper .

The Seahawks just kicked us and we sat there and took it . OUCH !!
Old 10-17-2005   #22
touttail
All Pro

Joe Theisman and the comentating crew ridiculed and laughed at the Texans the whole game. One announcer was saying the Texans needed to go deep to open up their game. Theisman was laughing and saying they can't!

bobby 119C :brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Capers and his staff including his scouts are the ones who tell Casserly who they want and why.
This statement demonstrates you have no idea how to assess the responsibility between GM and head coach. The scouts are entirely Casserly's baby. It is his "largest scouting department in the NFL."

Quote:
TJ was their primary pick and Casserly then worked deals to add value for TJ. It was not Casserly telling Capers to take TJ.
Really, and you know this how? The only talking head I heard on this subject around the draft was Casserly. It isn't like the big debate was offense vs. defense, it was defense DJ vs. defense TJ, although if you recall the #1 player on the Texans' draft board was WR Williamson--think that was a Capers pick too? As for the deal (singular by the way) it was lousy. The year before, Detroit got a same year 2nd round draft pick to move down one spot. We moved down 3 spots and got a future 3rd rounder. The Jimmy Johnson draft value chart says they should have gotten a current year 3rd rounder. Your boy Charlie got underpaid.

Quote:
I think Sharper and Glenn were thorns in the side of Capers and he got rid of them or they were thorns in the sides of the assistants.
If one statement from Sharper trumps statements from Casserly and Capers and reality on the salary cap then fine you stick with what you want on that, but there was zilch, nada ever on Glenn beeing a thorn in anyone's side, particularly Hoke. Total figment of your imagination.

Quote:
I could go on and on and on about why we look as inept as we do and its a function of Capers and his staff and only them..................................
OK, we all know why you think Carr can do no wrong, but what affiliation do you have with Casserly? The perfect illustration that both Capers and Casserly are at fault is the Babin trade. Even if Capers looked like a rottweiler waiting for a pig ear over Babin, it was Casserly's job to separately evaluate Babin and not pay too much. Others abound. Even if Capers really wanted Walker back, it was 100% Casserly's responsibility to only make that happen at a reasonable contract price--he failed completely in that regard.
Old 10-17-2005   #24
William.carter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeltexus
Please let me know who told CC Brown he could play NFL football. As well as Seth Payne, and this bootleg team. They sure are making Texas look foolish right about now. Let's Go Astros
Brown has a bad game and took a few tough stiff arms. He isn't a bad player. He's been one of our leading and most reliable tacklers so far this season.
William.carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #25
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

"I really was impressed with Carr tonight. I was at least proud that he was representing us on the field." -- harley7

----------------------------------------

I have been David's biggest critic lately, but I will say that it appeared he was actually being a stand-up guy (no pun intended) FROM HIS HEART last night...and not faking anything.

He didn't pout, but he also didn't blow off his responsibilities and he looked like he was focusing on doing what little he could do.

I liked it a lot when Carr was walking back to the sideline after McKinney got beaten badly, and MckInney was visibly upset with himself and Carr pats him and tells him, "It's OK..." Good job, David.

I saw a lot of leadership out of Carr, and I hope we keep him, draft a lot of o line talent, get a new coaching staff in here, and see if Carr can salvage this team. He deserves a shot for the next couple of years. Drafting Leinart would be a huge mistake. Just ride out the rest of the season. Hand the ball off a hundred times a game. Toss it short. Get out of this season without major injuries, and let's get us a lot of o line talent that isn't a "wait and see" situation, but a "these guys can play" situation.

Out with the old: MckInney, Weigert, etc. And in with the new.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #26
SESupergenius

Glad you see the light. Last nights nationally televised game announced by veteran commentators gave more insight than any other telecast I've seen so far. Marino and Esiason don't look at the whole game and just want him to chuck the ball in coverage no matter that there are 7 guys and on 2 recievers. They focused too much on the few sacks Carr takes when he runs out of bounds at the line of scrimmage which in my book doesn't cost us anything other than statisitcally glitch in the outcome. It made no difference it Carr ran out of bounds at the line of scrimmage or threw it out, the result is the same.
Old 10-17-2005   #27
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth
joe just said "the Texans are gonna ruin this kid". refering to carr and the punishment he is taking. takes him 3 quarters to figure out what our coaches havent been able to see in 4 years. get these coaches out of here now. there is nothing good going to come out of keeping this crew here. put in an interm coach and start preparing for next year.
No kidding there going to ruin him - So why was Carr out there playing in the 4th quarter much at all? Wasnt it pretty obvious to evryone else there was no getting out of the hole and it's time to put in second string and other players to save your starters from injuries and wear?

Once again more brainless lack of decision making by the most clueless staff in the NFL putting their best players at risk when the game is out of control and risking injury for no reason.

Honestly how irresponsible can a staff be before somebody wakes up and starts chopping heads and bringing in a staff that cares about more than a paycheck. Honestly today's game was just pitiful and most of that is on the staff.

IMO - Casserly is just as much responsible for the product on the field, the contracts signed and the staff. The only thing he's not responsible for is the lack of coaching the talent we do have here.

Casserly as the GM re-signed Gary Walker, Dominic Davis, Seth Payne and Todd Wade in the offseason some with big bonuses - yet let go Aaron Glenn, Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman because of money reasons?? the 3 most productive starters on your team you just release - not even trade or work a deal for??? Then he brought in Buchanon, Greenwood, Riley and out of those 3 only 1 has panned out to be above average. Casserly is as much responsible for these project players and bad contracts as he was the person in the drivers seat wit hthe wallet. He is the person who choose what to pay and to whom and negotiated those deals. Capers is his coach he hired. Capers and Casserly work hand in hand for sure - But at the end of the day it's still Casserly who makes the final decisions and who has to take the responsabilty and consequences with those choices. Capers is just as much at fault for not doing his job and coaching the talent he does have into being better and making better coaching decisions for the team in general. It's both Capers philosophy along with Casserly's that have put this franchise where it is today. The staff they have with them is just echoing that same thing and thus changes are needed up and down the franchise to wake up the players nad let everyone know - your being paid to do a job and how well you do the job will make a difference if you have a job next year on this team or anywhere in the league.

Last edited by U4ikrob; 10-17-2005 at 10:35 AM.
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-17-2005   #28
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood
mcnair hired casserly.

casserly hired capers. casserly hired the scouts.

casserly decided whose input to seek regarding personnel.

casserly made the personnel decisions himself, following whatever procedure casserly himself decided to follow in terms of advice or input.

it is really ridiculous to keep reading posts in here excusing casserly for the texans' woeful personnel.

i have no doubt whom mcnair holds accountable for personnel.
Yes, of course I see your point. Now consider this.

Replacing an entire roster of players takes time. Actually it takes about four years. I think before the Texans just assume that all (or the vast majority) of these players need to be kicked to the curb because Casserly can't find talent they should at least give their next coach a chance to see what he can get out of the existing group.

I don't give Casserly a pass, I just think Capers goes first because it makes more sense. Look at the Dallas situation with Dave Campo. They lose like crazy and end up bringing in Bill Parcells. Lo and behold the same bunch of losers that Dave Campo couldn't motivate turn it around in a single year.

In that case Parcells decided to tear it down and rebuild it quickly because he didn't like some of the pieces he'd inherited. After a quick season of sub .500 football the Cowboys are again on the rise. The point is that even in that situation where Jerry Jones had been drafting guys there were players there who could be used.

Ditch Capers, bring in a quality coaching staff, see what you can get out of this bunch, and then ditch the screw ups. Once you know how many of them actually are screw ups then you know whether or not Casserly needs to be sent packing.
Old 10-17-2005   #29
ATX_Texan
Veteran

Default Capers the quarterback killer

I knew Capers was out of it way back in the Steelers game. The Steelers try and show mercy and just run the clock out, since the game is way out of hand. What does Capers do? He calls time outs to insure a last drive. What does it accomplish? Carr gets sacked three more times to end the game. Does Dom learn from this mistake? NO, he does the same thing again last week against the Titans.

ATX_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #30
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Yes, of course I see your point. Now consider this.

Replacing an entire roster of players takes time. Actually it takes about four years. I think before the Texans just assume that all (or the vast majority) of these players need to be kicked to the curb because Casserly can't find talent they should at least give their next coach a chance to see what he can get out of the existing group.

I don't give Casserly a pass, I just think Capers goes first because it makes more sense. Look at the Dallas situation with Dave Campo. They lose like crazy and end up bringing in Bill Parcells. Lo and behold the same bunch of losers that Dave Campo couldn't motivate turn it around in a single year.

In that case Parcells decided to tear it down and rebuild it quickly because he didn't like some of the pieces he'd inherited. After a quick season of sub .500 football the Cowboys are again on the rise. The point is that even in that situation where Jerry Jones had been drafting guys there were players there who could be used.

Ditch Capers, bring in a quality coaching staff, see what you can get out of this bunch, and then ditch the screw ups. Once you know how many of them actually are screw ups then you know whether or not Casserly needs to be sent packing.
Exactly. Our starting players are at least of average NFL talent. They just don't play like it for some reason . I don't know if its the wrong players for Capers system or if the players have just lost their desire to play for Capers.
I have seen with my own eyes what a difference coaching makes in the way my Irish are playing under new coaching. Change is in order for the Texans.
Old 10-18-2005   #31
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth
joe just said "the Texans are gonna ruin this kid". refering to carr and the punishment he is taking. takes him 3 quarters to figure out what our coaches havent been able to see in 4 years. get these coaches out of here now. there is nothing good going to come out of keeping this crew here. put in an interm coach and start preparing for next year.
But then in the fourth quarter, he said in reference to the OL, "The Texans need to pick five guys and stay with them." Well, if that's the case, he's either contradicting himself or wants them to bench Carr and run in a sacrificial lamb for the rest of the season to protect Carr while the line hopefully gels.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #32
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
Exactly. Our starting players are at least of average NFL talent. They just don't play like it for some reason . I don't know if its the wrong players for Capers system or if the players have just lost their desire to play for Capers.
I have seen with my own eyes what a difference coaching makes in the way my Irish are playing under new coaching. Change is in order for the Texans.
I don't think our line is average NFL talent. I also don't think our defense is average either, seeing that they have only one meaningless takeaway in five games. Do you realize they are on a pace of getting three takeaways for the entire season? Carr is good, so is Davis, Stanley and Kris Brown. Ragpme jas potential as well. The rest of them are worthless, including Andre Johnson ( hasn't caught more than 4 passes or gained more than 46 yards in nine games now) and "What about me?" Robinson. Instead of firing Capers, they should jettison the dead wood on this team and start over.
Old 10-18-2005   #33
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
Ragpme jas potential
Sorry, I was writing in tongues. To be interpreted, this means, "Ragone has potential"
Old 10-18-2005   #34
outofhnd
All Pro

How can you coach this team there is no one that can turn this team around as long as we have no depth.

Our lineman arent afraid to lose their jobs....

there is no coach that motivates a player its the almighty Dollar and your job. Put their job in jeopardy by drafting linemen this year, the line plays better.
Old 10-18-2005   #35
BattleRedRaider
All Pro

Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly
yeah. that was harsh...but true. We are the Robstown Cottonpickers (if anyone knows how bad that football team is in south texas) of the NFL.
As a former Cottonpicker football player, yes, we suck. BUT, it's not that the players suck, it's the head coach. Example? Chance to win a game vs. Tuloso Midway 2 years ago; had a timeout to call when we had the ball on their 5 yard line. Could have kicked a field goal. What did the coach do? Let time run out, overtime: TM 31, Robs 24, 3OT.

This season, however, Cottonpickers 2-5.....Texans 0-5. Yeah, we're 2-5, and we'll probably lose the rest of our games, but it's been some pretty crappy football overall. Since Claude Bassett started coaching us, the season records from his first to most recent: 0-10, 2-8, 3-7, 0-10. Possibly 2-8 again this year.
Old 10-18-2005   #36
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
Our starting players are at least of average NFL talent. They just don't play like it for some reason . .

Well I agree with you. I think our line is at least average or just below. Does the Saints, SF, Chi, Buff, etc. have an allstar line? No! They are average or just below it.
They don't give up 7/8 sacks a game.

I will say it again, this team quit on these coaches! They are pissed that Capers got rid of Foreman, Sharper, Glenn, three defensive starters. The team resented these moves and has laid down on the coaching staff!

touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
I will say it again, this team quit on these coaches! They are pissed that Capers got rid of Foreman, Sharper, Glenn, three defensive starters. The team resented these moves and has laid down on the coaching staff!

Nice theory except the melt-down started before any of those events. This team looks exactly like they did against Cleveland and the passing game has sucked since week 10 last year.
Old 10-18-2005   #38
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Nice theory except the melt-down started before any of those events. This team looks exactly like they did against Cleveland and the passing game has sucked since week 10 last year.
...so true
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #39
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default not just you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
Is it just me, or did our play-calling seem to change at that time too.
...something changed and it was not just the cover2
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #40
Bassinguy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp
I think he was talking about the whole oline.
Bubba--your thinking was correct.
Bassinguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read