Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2005   #41
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

It was the first one, the only one we made.

Capers was so emphatic...I couldn't believe it. He was fired up and was yelling it. The cameras were on him the whole time, and then in the right-side of the TV screen you could see a coach waving in the kicking team AT THE SAME TIME Capers is still yelling to "Gor for it."

The camera crew got a shot of Capers after the field goal, and the expression on his face was like he had never even asked to go for it in the first place--Can you imagine Holmgren telling everyone he wants to go for it, and him getting ignored? He would have exploded. I always thought the HC was the HC and what the HC says is the final answer. The way Capers was so animated about going for it, and then to not go for it, you'd think Capers would be embarassed to have his authority blatantly undermined like that...but he didn't show an ounce of anger. No redness in the face, no sulking. Nothing. Weird stuff. Twlight zone.

I don't know what was said to Capers by a coach on the sideline (to tell him "No") because they didn't have the audio on...but he definitely didn't get what he wanted: To go for it.

It was hilarious.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #42
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Just don't do anything stupid

I can't imagine them firing Dom right now because I am not sure that things get any better handing it off to an assistant. I am thinking that if they make a change, it will be after the season.

I know some folks have suggested that all the coaches need to be fired. Have to say that I would really miss special team's coach Joe Marciano. I think that the special teams, for the most part, has been a bright spot for the team, that his players play hard for him and respect him, and he is just a standup guy.

I got to watch him do a film clinic on special teams stuff and found him super impressive. I wanted to run through a brick wall for him after he was done, which I suppose woulda hurt bad.

Ultimately, when bad things are happening to your football team, all you can hope is that the ownership doesn't do anything goofy and shortsighted in a panicky response to everyone being angry about losing. One way or another, McNair wants to win and fortunately he is willing to spend the money. Unfortunately for him, the NFL rules make it a little harder to spend your way to success.

Just some thoughts. (Also adding that I can't believe how thin our team is now--it is hard when all your best players are getting injured--we didn't have much depth before and now it is just sad).
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #43
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
I can't imagine them firing Dom right now because I am not sure that things get any better handing it off to an assistant. I am thinking that if they make a change, it will be after the season.

I know some folks have suggested that all the coaches need to be fired. Have to say that I would really miss special team's coach Joe Marciano. I think that the special teams, for the most part, has been a bright spot for the team, that his players play hard for him and respect him, and he is just a standup guy.

I got to watch him do a film clinic on special teams stuff and found him super impressive. I wanted to run through a brick wall for him after he was done, which I suppose woulda hurt bad.

Ultimately, when bad things are happening to your football team, all you can hope is that the ownership doesn't do anything goofy and shortsighted in a panicky response to everyone being angry about losing. One way or another, McNair wants to win and fortunately he is willing to spend the money. Unfortunately for him, the NFL rules make it a little harder to spend your way to success.

Just some thoughts. (Also adding that I can't believe how thin our team is now--it is hard when all your best players are getting injured--we didn't have much depth before and now it is just sad).
I was supposed to write something smart, but then I saw your avatar and... I forgot..
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #44
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia
I don't know if firing the coaching staff is going to help, but it certainly will not hurt. IF the coaching staff is going to be fired, let it happen soon so the new staff can start getting to know the players and get ready for the off-season.

There is nothing going for our team right now. The offense and defense are equally bad, the coaches are clueless. The time for change is now.
I said the same thing last week, but was told that we couldn't get new coaches from other teams until the end of the season.

bobby 119C :brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #45
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976

Capers was so emphatic...I couldn't believe it. He was fired up and was yelling it. The cameras were on him the whole time, and then in the right-side of the TV screen you could see a coach waving in the kicking team AT THE SAME TIME Capers is still yelling to "Gor for it."

The camera crew got a shot of Capers after the field goal, and the expression on his face was like he had never even asked to go for it in the first place--Can you imagine Holmgren telling everyone he wants to go for it, and him getting ignored? He would have exploded. I always thought the HC was the HC and what the HC says is the final answer. The way Capers was so animated about going for it, and then to not go for it, you'd think Capers would be embarassed to have his authority blatantly undermined like that...but he didn't show an ounce of anger. No redness in the face, no sulking. Nothing. Weird stuff. Twlight zone.

I don't know what was said to Capers by a coach on the sideline (to tell him "No") because they didn't have the audio on...but he definitely didn't get what he wanted: To go for it.

It was hilarious.
Man. that's embarassing. Well, we've got to endure this for 11 more games. I'm gonna cool it w/ the fire Capers rants, b/c it's not like things willl change IMMEDIATELY. And then who is going to coach the rest of the way? If it does happen, it will probably be closer to the end - last 2 games or after 1/1/06.
Old 10-17-2005   #46
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

You know how you look at a great head coach, who is doing a great job, and he came "out of nowhere" and shocked everyone? He was an assistant somewhere, maybe even two or three other places, and you didn't hear his name called all those years leading up to his first HC job? But there he is one day...making a splash, getting it done. Most recently it's Marvin Lewis, Romeo Crennel, and Charlie Weiss in the NCAA. All of those guys were quality assistant coaches/coordinators and the success just translates if you ask me.

Look back at how Mariucci and Sherman and Andy Reid were all a part of Mike Holgren's GB staff (I think that's right). And possibly even John Gruden was in that bunch before he became a HC at Oakland.

Yesterday's assistants, Today's head coaches: Green Bay staff leads the way

You see each of them in those NFL Films clips, back in the day when they were all assistants, and you can just see in their body language and in their focus, and in what they say to their players' units: You could SEE the potential in those clips.

I see the same thing in Marciano. The guy is enthusiastic, motivational, and he just has "purpose" burned into his eyes when you look at him.

Why couldn't we give him a shot? Give him the authority to replace the coordinators and assistants. Go out and get free agent coaches out there and finish up this season with a different attitude. Something like this will not happen because McNair is just not going to fire Capers in mid-season. But I think it couldn't hurt in terms of the product that's being trotted out onto the field right now. What could it hurt to give a guy on your own staff the chance to HC? It also communicates to other coordinators and other assistants out there who are alreayd on NFL teams right now that "You can have a shot at promotion within if you come to the Texans..."

Marciano for HC.

Last edited by GP; 10-17-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-17-2005   #47
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Has a special teams coach ever been promoted directly to HC? I doubt it. I seem to recall Andy Reid once saying in an interview how Holmgren made him get more involved with the total offense before he got promoted.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-17-2005   #48
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did you see Capers yelling, "Go for it. Let's go for it." on fourth down, and then kris Brown gets sent out to kick the field goal (The lone FG we had)?

I felt sorry for Capers. Nobody listened to him. He was wanting to go for it, and the kicking team got sent out. Now THAT is sad. To be the head coach, and to be saying "Go for it. Let's go for it. Go for it" over and over and as you're saying it...the kicking team trots out.

He didn't yank them back and get mad. He just let it happen.

He's the HC and his decision was cancelled out without asking him, or without Capers putting up a fight.

Unbelievable. That was the one scene that stuck in my head all night, and it still remains there today. Unbelievable.
Wait... what??? Did anyone else see this? Which coach was it that told the FG unit to get on the field.

If this is true it should be getting a lot more publicity.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #49
lilred
Rookie

I just tivoed to that spot and I think he is talking about when Kris Brown kicked the field goal with 6 seconds left to the half. We had just got the interception and had a little momentum.

It sure looks like he was saying "Go for it" and he was waving his hands a little bit, but yet if it was his call and they ignored it he wasn't too broken up about it. He even had the composure to talk to the reporter as the team went into the locker room.

Complete opposite of how Holmgren looked after his team had three penalties in the first few minutes, he chewed their ***es off and "viola" improvement!
lilred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #50
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It was hilarious.
I think this is sad. If we are all on the fire Capers bandwagon - why isn't he being able to call the shots? Who is really running this team?
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #51
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred
Complete opposite of how Holmgren looked after his team had three penalties in the first few minutes, he chewed their ***es off and "viola" improvement!
Holmgren called a time out and got the defense over to the sideline to chew them out. i thought this was a classic coaching move, not standing there with your mouth gaped open!!!!!!!

bobby 119C :brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #52
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default when will Capers go?

How long has Capers left this sesaon. My guess is he'll get fired after the last game, the season is already a wash out and we'd gain nothing by sacking Capers.
The players need to play with some passion, fire and balls to register at least 6 wins between now and the end of the season, some if not all are playing for their Texans future. DO they care enough - lets hope so.

Gary Kubiak for next HC.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #53
lilred
Rookie

Quote:
Holmgren called a time out and got the defense over to the sideline to chew them out. i thought this was a classic coaching move, not standing there with your mouth gaped open!!!!!!!
Exactly, how can we expect our players to get fired up and excited when its obvious the head coach has none
lilred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #54
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

I beleive if they let go of them now it would do better because it would give the new staff more time to see what needs to be improved and how and who out of the few players that we have that need to stay. However I beleive that Capers will not be let go until the end of the season. Casserly if we get beat by the browns will go.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #55
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

He will be gone by the end of the season
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #56
ATX_Texan
Veteran

Default Changes now, not later.

I donít understand what is to be gained by keeping Capers around until the end of the year. Last week some people felt that McNair would be overreacting by pulling the plug too soon and it would somehow ruin this season. It should be pretty obvious that this season is as dead as the rug on Caperís head. The players have given up on this staff and they will continue to go through the motions. The assistants are like terminally ill patients with nothing to do but wait until the end of the year to be fired.

I hope that they will go ahead and fire Capers and Fangio sooner than later. Keeping them around just gives everyone else an excuse to do nothing until next year.
If we promote Marciano or Pendry, it probably wonít help save this season. However, it will give them the opportunity to control their own destinies. The incentive will be to try and get something from this team over the remainder of the season. I would like to see what kind of a defensive coordinator Hoke would make. Let Pendry show what he can do without being shackled by Capers and Palmer. It will be a great test for these coaches to see what they can do in a very unfavorable situation.
ATX_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #57
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I really don't think there is any way Capers makes it through the season.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #58
GP 
Go Texans!

It could have been the FG attempt at the end of the half, and not the one he made earlier. Sorry for the error

Regardless, it was just hilarious.

"GO FOR IT! Let's go for it!" (waving his hands and getting no response from any other coaches or coordinators)

(...kicking team trots out onto the field.)

(missed field goal, camera pans to Capers)

(Capers staring out onto the field, wondering what type of grass the field is)
Old 10-17-2005   #59
rsan40
Rookie

Dom must go!!! "we came in with good intentions...." How can he say that with a straight face. Someone give me a pen for the petition to Mcnair to revamp the coaching staff. While i'm on my soapbox what happened to our offensive line?? A littlie old lady with a cane can sack Carr.
rsan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #60
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72471 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It could have been the FG attempt at the end of the half, and not the one he made earlier. Sorry for the error

Regardless, it was just hilarious.

"GO FOR IT! Let's go for it!" (waving his hands and getting no response from any other coaches or coordinators)

(...kicking team trots out onto the field.)

(missed field goal, camera pans to Capers)

(Capers staring out onto the field, wondering what type of grass the field is)
If this is what happenned, is it any wonder the coaches have lost the players as well?
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read