Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Where's Mr. Robinson

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
He was suppose to have an easy agent to deal with and progress was supposidly being made after the Babin signing. But no deal has been posted so far. At Espn's web site they were talking that Gallary was possibly going to sign and might be one of the 1st of the top tier. They mentioned that a number of players might well be hold outs, because of the money situation this year. Its getting awfully close to that time when people need to be in camp. Were we too generous with Babin?

TEXANS84

Staff member
I expect the signings to go crazy over the weekend. But, you never know....with Robinson being confirmed a starter, he may be pitching that he should recieve more pay. Time will tell.

Fiddy

All Pro
Dont worry about it, we still have a little more then a week. Top picks dont usually sign until 1 to 3 days before camp starts because they make the team a little more nervous so the team might be willing to give a little more to get the player in camp on time. D-Rob will be there when training camp begins. If I remember right, AJ signed a day or two before camp started....

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
Is it possible we have been to generous with Wade and others and now have a salary cap problem? We haven't signed as many players early this year as we have in the past.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Were we too generous with Babin?
The one little report on that was pure internet rumor/speculation prior to the numbers coming out. Babin's contract was a very moderate increase from Johnson's (#27 2003) last year. No need to get ansy at all. So far only Babin and Wilfork have signed. No need to worry until Robinson is one of the last 5-8 players unsigned.

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
From ESPN

Houston Texans
1a. CB Dunta Robinson (South Carolina/No. 10 selection overall): Unsigned
1b. LB Jason Babin (Western Michigan/No. 27 overall). Signing bonus: $2,200,000. Base salaries: $456,000 (2004, plus $150,000 reporting bonus); $757,500 (2005, plus $70,000 workout bonus and possible $1,275,000 bonus to exercise option for 2009 season); $909,000 (2006, plus $70,000 workout bonus); $1,061,000 (2007, plus $70,000 workout bonus); $1,212,000 (2008, plus $70,000 workout bonus); $1,364,000 (2009, plus $70,000 workout bonus and possible void). Note: If team exercises option for 2009 by paying "second tier" bonus of $1,275,000, base salaries reduce to $432,500 (2005); $548,000 (2006); $735,500 (2007); $887,000 (2008); $1,038,000 (2009). Total: six years, $8,459,500 or five years, $8,072,000. Salary cap charge: $972,667.

4. SS Glenn Earl (Notre Dame/No. 122 overall): Unsigned

6a. CB Vontez Duff (Notre Dame/No. 170 overall): Unsigned

6b. FS Jammal Lord (Nebraska/No. 175 overall): Signing bonus: $75,600. Base salaries: $230,000 (2004); $305,000 (2005); $385,000 (2006). Total: three years, $995,600. Salary cap charge: $255,200.

6c. LB Charlie Anderson (Mississippi/No. 200 overall): Unsigned

7a. LB Raheem Orr (Rutgers/No. 210 overall). Signing bonus: $40,000. Base salaries: $230,000 (2004); $305,000 (2005); $385,000 (2006). Total: three years, $960,000. Salary cap charge: $243,333.

7b. WR Sloan Thomas (Texas/No. 211 overall). Signing bonus: $39,750. Base salaries: $230,000 (2004); $305,000 (2005); $385,000 (2006). Total: three years, $959,750. Salary cap charge: $243,250.

7c. QB B.J. Symons (Texas Tech/No. 248 overall): Unsigned

obviously this needs to be updated as Symons signed today. Its interesting to see who hasn't signed. I would assume Symons has the same figures as the other 7's with the difference being the signing bonus.

I would also conclude that Duff and Anderson would have the same figures as Lord, except for the signing bonuses.

It will be interesting to see what Mr. Robinson wants and gets. The odd man out could be Earl.

S

SESupergenius

Since the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) is going to expire contracts may be taking more time to get done because teams are only able to amortize signing bonuses over just six years, not the seven years they were able to use in the past.

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
Latest Garbage from McClain. He doesn't cover the TEXANS. He covers the NFL. His 1st camp visit will be with the COWBOYS. He mentions who covers the Texans, but when will that coverage start? Oh well, Vinny's question makes the article on Carr. I hope the Texans do well enough, to put it in McClain's terms, that management thinks they should be covered. I'm sorry, but I read him as being a very arrogant reporter full of it. That's simply my opinion and I know others of you disagree and that's perfectly fine.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
If Dunta isn't signed by this time next week, then you can fret (if you must). Until then, remember that the Texans have a spotless record in signing their draft choices prior to training camp. If any organization in the NFL (heck, pro sports) deserves the benifit of doubt in this regard, it's the Texans.

Is that really "our Vinny's" question about Carr? I just don't see him giving a hoot what McClain thinks.

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
I think it matches Vinny's comments on Carr. That's why I said that. I don't think the Texans are the problem in the negotiations. I think Mr. Robinson wants a lot and that's the problem. The Texans have obviously said they hold him in high regard. ESPN has stated this could be a difficult year for the negotiations, because of several limits that make it tougher to reach a deal. I could be wrong, but its been to quiet after the Babin signing. In fact after the Babin signing they were stating that Robinson should be next and they thought it might be a quick agreement. That again is why I'm saying what I'm saying. I just have a feeling things are not going as well as expected. I certainly hope I'm wrong.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
That's not me. I honestly never use "Vinny" except on message boards, and when I do I spell it with a Y at the end, not an "ie". If any of you have ever gotten an email from me it is usually signed, V, Vin, or Vincent.

;)

Ibar_Harry said:
Silence is not Golden in this case. The lack of any mention of talks is annoying. As I have stated earlier, I hope there isn't a problem, but something doesn't quite look and sound right. I hope I'm wrong.
Ibar, this happens every year with all the first round picks. Most teams do not have their first round pick signed yet. This is extremely normal. AJ didn't sign till a few days before camp last year. The only reason Carr was signed early was because he was the first overall pick.

texasguy346

Mod Squad
No worries Ibar Harry. You won't hear mention of many top draft picks actually signing a contract till 2 or 3 days befor camp starts for their perspective teams. It's just how the business works in the NFL. Agents try and wait as long as possible without holding out before having their client sign on the dotted line. They do it in hopes it might entice a team to fork over extra incentives to get the contract done sooner. If you were a Giants or Chargers fan then you might have a little more to worry about. Especially the Giants considering they get allotted 4th pick money for the guy taken 1st overall. There are usually a few holdouts from the first week of camp, but I don't anticipate Robinson being one of them. However, if it eases your concern, even if Dunta Robinson and the Texans cannot reach an agreement by camp that still doesnt mean he will hold out. Again that is highly unlikely. Just wait till around July 26th or 27th and you'll see Robinson's name next to many other top round picks reaching an agreement with their perspective teams.

NotARealTexan

Practice Squad
Profootballtalk, everyone's favorite tabloid site, is saying that a) Dunta Robinson just agreed to a contract, and b) That it is way out of line compared to Terrell Suggs' deal from last year--as in, a 28% higher signing bonus.

The link can be found here: http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Who knows if that's true or not. That site has been ragging on the Texans for the Babin contract being too much of an increase over last year, but it really wasn't all that beefy of an increase. If the 28% increase is true, then about the only thing that would justify it is if Robinson is under firmly contract for 6 years instead of only 5.

If it's true he signed a deal today, we'll hear about it soon enough.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
I've read pft.com for years and they get about 20% of their stuff right. It's the National Enquirer of football websites.

flawedout

Practice Squad
i dont want to post the same thread as everyone else by saying "oh no 1 rounders get signed until 1-2 days before training camp." surely there is something better to talk about relating to the texans. for example, Jamal Powell went to my high school, the same time that my older sister went there, i also got to play with his younger brother erick powell. best of luck goes out to him for representin C.V.