Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-14-2005   #1
mean mark8
Veteran

Default Our 2nd & 3rd round Picks never produce

I noticed that Seth Wand was a 3rd round selection... So is Fred Weary... this year's pick goes for Buchanon...Our 2nd round picks go for Gaffney, Joppru, Hollings, Babin (a 2 and 3 I think) and Buchanon again. Anyone else out there notice that none of these guys is any good and/or playing? Gaffney is the only one to have done anything much but I don't think 41 catches in a season as the #2 receiver on the team to be anything stellar.

Our scouting, GM, and coaches fall asleep during the draft after round 1 until the 4th round where we land Jonathan Wells, DD, Jerome Mathis and I don't know who else. You don't build a great franchise by missing so badly in rounds 2 and 3 so steadily. :brickwall
mean mark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If you can go back to the archives before the draft ... this was talked about in great detail .
I have never been impressed with the Texans drafting in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Its like 31 teams have a system and the Texans have there own .
Old 10-14-2005   #3
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Well Joppru wasn't really a bad pick. We needed a TE and went and drafted a TE in the second round. Then he got hurt, just bad luck I suppose. I agree with the others though. I think the best player we've taken in the 2nd or 3rd round was Chester Pitts. Even Peek, a 3rd rounder, hasn't lived up to our potential IMO.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I won't go into all the particulars about Gaffney again, as they are easy to find on many posts on this forum, but he's a good pick. Maybe not worth a second-round pick, but that was a weak year for WR.

I don't think any of the players we drafted in the 2nd-4th rounds are as bad as we think. Our coaching staff is not getting the most from them. We have a decent 1st-round track record, but if you have high picks, you're supposed to come up with good picks. You can pick up Mel Kiper's mock drafts online and not do too badly.
eriadoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #5
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well the good news is the Great Blue North Draft Report has us taking Eric Winston OT Miami . The bad news is its second overall . Reggie Bush goes first to San Fran .
Old 10-14-2005   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 228095 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

There needs to be some sort of board rule against throwing Joppru out as evidence of Charlie Casserly's incompetence. It's *****ic and it completely erases whatever credibility a poster has when they do it.

There are multiple points that can be made to argue the case that Casserly has failed as our GM. That isn't one of them.
Old 10-14-2005   #7
jagsfanincanada
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
Well the good news is the Great Blue North Draft Report has us taking Eric Winston OT Miami . The bad news is its second overall . Reggie Bush goes first to San Fran .
From what I've heard Winston is not playing well. I think you guys would be better served drafting D'Brickshaw Ferguson.

Last edited by jagsfanincanada; 10-14-2005 at 02:11 PM.
jagsfanincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2005   #8
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

There will be alot of measuring before they declare who's best .
Old 10-14-2005   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean mark8
I noticed that Seth Wand was a 3rd round selection... So is Fred Weary... this year's pick goes for Buchanon...Our 2nd round picks go for Gaffney, Joppru, Hollings, Babin (a 2 and 3 I think) and Buchanon again. Anyone else out there notice that none of these guys is any good and/or playing? Gaffney is the only one to have done anything much but I don't think 41 catches in a season as the #2 receiver on the team to be anything stellar.

Our scouting, GM, and coaches fall asleep during the draft after round 1 until the 4th round where we land Jonathan Wells, DD, Jerome Mathis and I don't know who else. You don't build a great franchise by missing so badly in rounds 2 and 3 so steadily. :brickwall
For his play last year, Seth Wand received a rather nice bonus check - 6 figures - from the Players' Association for exceeding the standard for his draft position/salary. Sounds like he exceeded the unbiased observers' expectations. Now our coaches evaluation.....?

He'll be a good player for a team in this league some day, hopefully the Texans.

Last edited by Runner; 10-14-2005 at 03:03 PM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #10
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
Well Joppru wasn't really a bad pick. We needed a TE and went and drafted a TE in the second round. Then he got hurt, just bad luck I suppose. I agree with the others though. I think the best player we've taken in the 2nd or 3rd round was Chester Pitts. Even Peek, a 3rd rounder, hasn't lived up to our potential IMO.
When Joppru was drafted, they didn't out him in Boselli's old locker did they??????

bobby 119C :brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005   #11
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Tales of the cursed LOCKER....

I think one of hte main problems Cass has is he keeps drafting too many PROJECTS. I mean We need to pick up some steady stones.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Casserly likes to "project" players from College Football to NFL Football this has been his downfall so far. when he selects a pure player for the same position he has experience with he does alright, but for some reason he fancy's himself to see things others do not.

examples of players out of position-

Travis Johnson 3-4 DT (4-3 DT) could have taken Jamaal Brown OT

Jason Babin OLB (4-3 DE) not made the trade

Tony Hollings RB (DB) used the 1st pick of the 2nd rd

examples of players in position-

David Carr QB

Andre Johnson WR

Dunta Robinson CB
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005   #13
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
Casserly likes to "project" players from College Football to NFL Football this has been his downfall so far. when he selects a pure player for the same position he has experience with he does alright, but for some reason he fancy's himself to see things others do not.

examples of players out of position-

Travis Johnson 3-4 DT (4-3 DT) could have taken Jamaal Brown OT

Jason Babin OLB (4-3 DE) not made the trade

Tony Hollings RB (DB) used the 1st pick of the 2nd rd

examples of players in position-

David Carr QB

Andre Johnson WR

Dunta Robinson CB
I still say Casserly is simply the procurrer and that the evaluation is being done by Capers and his staff in this case. Hollings is a pure Capers' want. Babin was a Capers' wish. Carr was a Palmer and Casserly wish I truely believe, but I don't think that's who Capers wanted. I still say Casserly is better than most of you think, but he relies on Capers staff and Capers coaching staff seems to styme the development of a lot of talent. This is just my opinion.....................
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005   #14
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Would the word NEVER include DD.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Would the word NEVER include DD.
DD was a 4th round pick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read