Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-14-2005   #21
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

I hope for the team's sake Casserly is gone. On the whole, the drafting by this organization has been horrible. Responsibility for that falls with the General Manager, regardless of all the flunkies here who support Casserly. I wonder how many of those posters are friends or relatives of Casserly, or employed by him.

Casserly and Capers need to be fired. Bring in Jimmy Johnson as head coach with final say over personnel matters. There's a guy who knows how to coach and is a great evaluator of talent.
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #22
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 42196 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

I think Casserly's job is safe for the time being (agreeing with the above - not a complete house cleaning) as I've heard / seen more postive things about Casserly in NFL realted items than negative. Interestingly though... wasn't it Casserly that hired (or reccommended) Capers?

Flip side, all I seem to hear of Capers is "can start an expansion team".

Seems like it will be a replacement of coaching staff that can better work with Casserly (maybe not so much fit his "style") for next year.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #23
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysTexansFan
I hope for the team's sake Casserly is gone. On the whole, the drafting by this organization has been horrible. Responsibility for that falls with the General Manager, regardless of all the flunkies here who support Casserly. I wonder how many of those posters are friends or relatives of Casserly, or employed by him.

Casserly and Capers need to be fired. Bring in Jimmy Johnson as head coach with final say over personnel matters. There's a guy who knows how to coach and is a great evaluator of talent.
I have no problme bringing in JJ as long as he can complete another Herschel Walker type trade.
Old 10-14-2005   #24
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Casserly should have never been hired. His draft record in Washington is deplorable and that trend has continued here. BOTH are responsible for this mess and BOTH need to be shown the door.

As my avatar states, I think Casserly is the "dumber" and most responsible for our personel or lack thereof.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #25
SESupergenius

That is a great avatar by the way.
Old 10-14-2005   #26
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Whether or not JJ can complete a Herschel Walker type trade, he has proven he knows how to draft good players and coach them well.
Old 10-14-2005   #27
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysTexansFan
Whether or not JJ can complete a Herschel Walker type trade, he has proven he knows how to draft good players and coach them well.
Yes you are correct, but when you get five players, six conditional draft picks and a number one on top of the ones you already have... well, me, you and a poster named boo could draft some playaz
Old 10-14-2005   #28
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Casserly has had 4 shots at the draft. With all those picks, why haven't more than a handful worked out? Casserly needs to be replaced.
Old 10-14-2005   #29
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Casserly should have never been hired. His draft record in Washington is deplorable and that trend has continued here.
It is? He's responsible for 8 of the starting defensive players on the last Redskins SB team, Mark Schlereth, and Heath Shuler. I think he's also responsible for that WR that busted out, but could be wrong. So, by my (admittedly rough) tally, that's 9 solid picks and 2 busts.

I'm not a Casserly apologist, but it's worth getting the facts straight anyway.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #30
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

The best way to look at the issue is through the Scientific method.

Step 1: Observe the Situation, (there needs to be a change to the Texans organization.)

Step 2: Form a hypothesis, (the real problem is the coaching of the team.)

Step 3: Formulate a plan, (lets fire Capers and see how the team does with a new head coach. Decide on measurable criterian)

Step 4: Collect data and analyze(compare wins, how team plays, and whatever criterian decided upon)

Step 5: using data from Step 4 decide on a conclusion. (Based on wins and other Criterion, the data clearly shows that...)

Thus we CANNOT fire both Casserly and Capers. It just does not make sense scientifically.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #31
ATX_Texan
Veteran

Default Casserly + Capers = Losing football team

In regards to Casserly, I donít feel that whatever measure of success he had back with the Redskins really does not matter with the here and now. The Redskins won their last Super Bowl way back in 1991. He was the GM that saw the Skins descend from Super Bowl winners to a second rate team. I realize that part of the problem was the change in ownership with Daniel ďI can buy a Super BowlĒ Synder.

I can only go with the talent that he has assembled here with the Texans. I think the results have been less than spectacular. There seems to be a great deal of confusion here about what exact the GM is supposed to be doing. I would like to point out that most of the best organizations in the NFL have a GM and coach on the same page. They agree on what kind of team they want to put together. I donít feel that the Texans ever had that kind of vision. It seems to me that many of the players drafted by Casserly did not match with the kind of offense that Capers wanted to run. On top of that Casserly hired an offensive coordinator that appeared to want to run a wide open offense than the coach was not comfortable with. The bottom line is the GM has the final say on all personal moves with input from the scouts and coaches. If the coach is in charge of personal, there is no reason to have a GM. In that case, you have the situation with the Coach is the GM. I donít think that the Texans were ever set up that way.

I feel that the Capers needs to go and the sooner the better. I have seen plenty of teams benefit from changes in coaching: Dolphins and Browns the latest examples. Only after that will be able to evaluate the talent assembled. My concern with Casserly is failure to address several areas of concern. The inability to put together an offensive line, find a second wide receiver, tight end, etc. all falls on him. As hard as it is for some people to accept, the Texans are flawed on many levels. It is going to be a complete rebuilding process. The sooner it starts the better.
ATX_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #32
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In regards to Casserly, I donít feel that whatever measure of success he had back with the Redskins really does not matter with the here and now.
Oh, I totally agree that what he did with the Redksins shouldn't really matter. But people keep raising Heath Shuler as an argument, as if it should matter. If Shuler matters, then so do the rest of the facts. That's my only point.

My stance on Casserly is - we don't have enough information to say he needs to go. With Capers, I think everyone can see we have enough talent to be performing better than we are. That falls on the coaching staff, IMO.
Old 10-14-2005   #33
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default Casserly over his head and

past his prime as a GM, if you believe he had one. This whole ship needs reworking so I favor a coach/GM combo, and if JJ would do it I would be very interested--he's a proven winner with a great track record and a slick operator. I don't know how interested he is in coaching these days, if at all.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #34
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
The thing is charley is the GM he Should know who to bring in.
This is where we disagree. Casserly is the GM - he should be able to take all the information given to him from his scouts, coaches, and other talent evaluators he has access to and decide if that information fits within the framework of the salary cap and which direction the team is heading in. Casserly is a funnel-point, if you will, for the information he's been given. More teams than just the Texans had very high regards for Carr, Babin, and Joppru. By all reports, Babin would have been gone by the time we got back around in the second round. If the coaches and talent evaluators are telling you this is going to be the next Kevin Greene, and enough of them agree on that point, why should Casserly disagree? He's not a scout. He should decide if the price is too high based on the info he has at the time. In hindsight, Babin hasn't turned out how they'd like, sure. You have that luxury now. casserly did not at the time - all he had was a staff of people telling him to get this guy and he'd be a player of X caliber, whatever X is.
Old 10-15-2005   #35
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
By all reports, Babin would have been gone by the time we got back around in the second round.
Since the Patriots were rumored to have intended to take Babin, you really have to wonder about the coaching staff here's inability to coach him/use him properly to make him a special player. Bellichick and Pioli haven't missed on many players--heck have they missed on any LB's?
Old 10-15-2005   #36
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
Casserly is not a talent evaluator. That is what we have scouts for.
Yes he is... he scouts and evaluates talents. Casserly has always been deep in the evaluation process and is often on scouting trips. From '90-'97 (8 complete drafts) he picked 7 players who had any NFL career at all. His drafts have been awful.

This list was pasted from drafthistory.com

1999 1 1 7 7 Champ Bailey DB Georgia
2 2 6 37 Jon Jansen T Michigan
3 4 12 107 Nate Stimson LB Georgia Tech
4 5 32 165 Derek Smith T Virginia Tech
5 6 12 181 Jeff Hall K Tennessee
6 7 11 217 Tim Alexander WR Oregon State

1998 1 2 18 48 Stephen Alexander TE Oklahoma
2 3 8 69 Skip Hicks RB UCLA
3 4 21 113 Shawn Barber LB Richmond
4 5 17 140 Mark Fischer G Purdue
5 6 17 170 Patrick Palmer WR Northwest Louisiana
6 7 2 191 David Terrell DB Texas-El Paso
7 7 17 206 Antwaune Ponds LB Syracuse

1997 1 1 17 17 Kenard Lang DE Miami (FL)
2 2 21 51 Greg Jones LB Colorado
3 3 20 80 Derek Smith LB Arizona State
4 4 19 115 Albert Connell WR Texas A&M
5 5 2 132 Jamel Williams DB Nebraska
6 5 10 140 Keith Thibodeaux DB Northwest Louisiana
7 5 18 148 Twan Russell LB Miami (FL)
8 5 32 162 Brad Badger G Stanford

1996 1 1 30 30 Andre Johnson T Penn State
2 4 7 102 Stephen Davis RB Auburn
3 5 6 138 Leomont Evans DB Clemson
4 6 7 174 Kelvin Kinney DE Virginia State
5 7 6 215 Jeremy Asher LB Oregon
6 7 41 250 DeAndre Maxwell WR San Diego State

1995 1 1 4 4 Michael Westbrook WR Colorado
2 2 5 37 Cory Raymer C Wisconsin
3 3 4 68 Darryl Pounds DB Nicholls State
4 4 5 103 Larry Jones RB Miami (FL)
5 5 3 137 Jamie Asher TE Louisville
6 5 18 152 Rich Owens DE Lehigh
7 6 5 176 Brian Thure T California
8 7 18 226 Scott Turner DB Illinois

1994 1 1 3 3 Heath Shuler QB Tennessee
2 2 2 31 Tre Johnson T Temple
3 3 3 68 Tydus Winans WR Fresno State
4 3 32 97 Joe Patton G Alabama A&M
5 4 2 105 Kurt Haws TE Utah
6 6 2 163 Dexter Nottage DE Florida A&M
7 7 3 197 Gus Frerotte QB Tulsa

1993 1 1 17 17 Tom Carter DB Notre Dame
2 2 16 45 Reggie Brooks RB Notre Dame
3 3 15 71 Rick Hamilton LB Central Florida
4 3 24 80 Ed Bunn P Texas-El Paso
5 4 17 101 Sterling Palmer DE Florida State
6 5 16 128 Greg Huntington C Penn State
7 6 15 155 Darryl Morrison DB Arizona
8 6 20 160 Frank Wycheck TE Maryland
9 8 16 212 Lamont Hollinquest LB USC

1992 1 1 4 4 Desmond Howard WR Michigan
2 2 19 47 Shane Collins DE Arizona State
3 3 18 74 Paul Siever G Penn State
4 4 28 112 Chris Hakel QB William & Mary
5 6 28 168 Ray Rowe TE San Diego State
6 7 28 196 Calvin Holmes DB USC
7 8 28 224 Darryl Moore G Texas-El Paso
8 9 28 252 Boone Powell LB Texas
9 10 28 280 Tony Barker LB Rice
10 11 28 308 Terry Smith WR Penn State
11 12 28 336 Matt Elliott C Michigan

1991 1 1 17 17 Bobby Wilson DT Michigan State
2 3 21 76 Ricky Ervins RB USC
3 6 20 159 Dennis Ransom TE Texas A&M
4 7 21 188 Keith Cash TE Texas
5 8 20 215 Jimmy Spencer DB Florida
6 9 20 243 Charles Bell DB Baylor
7 10 20 270 Cris Shale P Bowling Green
8 11 21 299 David Gulledge DB Jacksonville State
9 12 20 326 Keenan McCardell WR UNLV

1990 1 2 21 46 Andre Collins LB Penn State
2 3 23 76 Mo Elewonibi G Brigham Young
3 4 5 86 Cary Conklin QB Washington
4 4 28 109 Rico Labbe DB Boston College
5 5 21 130 Brian Mitchell RB Southwestern Louisiana
6 6 23 160 Kent Wells DT Nebraska
7 9 23 243 Tim Moxley G Ohio State
8 10 14 262 D'Juan Francisco DB Notre Dame
9 10 22 270 Thomas Rayam DT Alabama
10 11 21 297 Jon Leverenz LB Minnesota

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005   #37
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Yes he is... he scouts and evaluates talents. Casserly has always been deep in the evaluation process and is often on scouting trips. From '90-'97 (8 complete drafts) he picked 7 players who had any NFL career at all. His drafts have been awful.

1999 1 1 7 7 Champ Bailey DB Georgia = Dunta Robinson

1998 1 2 18 48 Stephen Alexander TE Oklahoma = Bennie Joppru

1997 1 1 17 17 Kenard Lang DE Miami (FL) = Jason Babin

1996 1 1 30 30 Andre Johnson T Penn State = Andrew Whitworth

1995 1 1 4 4 Michael Westbrook WR Colorado = Reggie Bush

1994 1 1 3 3 Heath Shuler QB Tennessee = David Carr

1993 1 1 17 17 Tom Carter DB Notre Dame = Phillip Buchanon

1992 1 1 4 4 Desmond Howard WR Michigan = Reggie Bush

1991 1 1 17 17 Bobby Wilson DT Michigan State = Travis Johnson

1990 1 2 21 46 Andre Collins LB Penn State = Antwan Peek
I'm cheating here but you can see a pattern just by comparing #1's to the best on the Texans current roster/projected top two picks this year (Bush & Whitwoth) notice Vinny & Huge, Reggie Bush = Westbrook + Howard. that would seem to make him a lock for Casserly if the opportunity presents itself. All kidding aside looks like Casserly is on course to repeat history :brickwall
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005   #38
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Thanks for the great post, Vinny. You obviously have a brain, which many posters on this board do not have--such as the ones who think Casserly is not responsible for the Texans' sorry draft record. Thanks to your post, I see that Casserly's drafting at Washington was atrocious there, too.
Old 10-15-2005   #39
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Yes he is... he scouts and evaluates talents.
So does Capers, so do the assistant coaches. Exactly where do the scouts fit into this scenario? I'm not exonerating Casserly at all - I just don't think we have enough information. If our players were going out there and busting their tails and coming up short, like in the Patriots game, for instance, then you are able to evaluate the talent we have on the field. If you have a team that shows up and runs in 100 different directions, then you have to wonder what's up, especially when most of those same players have performed much better previously. My point on Casserly is that he has to rely on his personnel to give him the proper information and he has to act on it. If he is out there overriding his scouts and drafting busts, then it's on him, obviously. If he's listening to his people and adding in his own talent evaluation, then you have to look at it from an organizational standpoint. I think this team has talent and the coaching staff is not getting the most out of them.

Regardless, the point I'm making about Casserly is it's not a one-man job like so many people here like to think. If the players were performing to their potential and the team was coming up short, then you have to put that on Cassely. I don't think that's the case currently.
Old 10-15-2005   #40
NoBullTexan
Veteran

I have read with interest the above posts, and to a degree, all have made a point. I have several other slants that might also be of interest:

1.) Casserly helped McNair put this organization together a couple of years before it actually took the field with a team. Mcnair, like any good executive today, delegated certain functions to Casserly, which is to hire and fire the coaches, and to be the final judge on which players we should get. In the beginning, the genesis if you will, of this team, he put together a pretty good beginning.

2.) For the first two or three years opposing teams didn't take us too seriously, allowing us to slip up on several, and win. As time went on we began to be more seriously thought of, and defenses, especially at the end of year three were gameplanning very seriously against us. The Cleveland game last year was the start of other teams having enough information on us to start really bulding the defenses to stop our offense. That is when the offense of Palmer, and the defense of Capers (Fangio) began to unravel, and be shown to be substandard. Some of it was due to decisions made on personnel, and some of it was pure inflexibility on the part of the coaching staff. At that time, after that game, the players began to doubt the veracity of some of the decisions the coaches made, and started to tune out. Nothing of any substance was done so the malignancy began to grow and get biffer until now, in the fourth game of the 2005 season, it has reached full flowerhood. The coaching staff is inflexible, some poor personnel desicions were made, and now the team is in full disarray.

3.) Casserly has allowed Capers, Palmer, and Fangio to make too many personnel decisions, and NOW is when McNair, the ultimate buck stop, should take charge, either get rid of Casserly and Capers and the rest of the coaching staff, and start over from here, or, and here is what I think he will do, he will put Casserly square on the spot, make him make the decisions he should have already made, and get rid of Capers, and start the task of hunting a coach who will right this listing ship. Casserly is just too close to the top to be let go now. BUT, if he doesn't turn this thing around pretty quick, his may be the next butt to be kicked out.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read