Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-14-2005   #61
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 57901 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Vin you are right on target buddy. I think Cass will be smart and take a top LT hopefully Winston who is playing much better than Ferguson right now. And then maybe steal a guy like Withworth or damn forgot the centers name. But look for us to take three lineman in the draft and then a qb, rb, wr, and lb.
Winston is playing with better lateral movemnet, while Ferguson is not playing at all because he is hurt.

Whitworth will be a starter, maybe not LT but a solid SB quality guard ala the Patriots, smart, good mechanics, excellent work ethic & character.

There are two really good Centers led by Minnesota Greg Eslinger. Nick Mangold of Ohio State should still be there for the taking in the 2nd rd.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #62
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoX
With Brick/Winston/McNeill at LT, Pitts can hold down the LG spot. That has the potential to be an All-Pro left side. The team seems to be fine as far as RG and RT prospects go. Weigert/Brown combo should suffice for now. As for RT, Wade/Riley/Wand should be passable until the next draft. That just leaves them looking for a real C to hold down the middle and coordinate the line. And with 2 thirds and a second plus anything they get from a potential trade down from 1, the team can bring in another C to develop and compete with Hodgdon. This is the year to fix the oline problems.

I believe the talent is there at the skill positions. With a top-notch oline, DD, AJ and the other receivers Carr (or whoever replaces him) should have a field day.
I'd like to see a new LT, move Pitts to RT (he still has the best feet for the edge on the line), move Wade to RG to battle Weigert, find a FA Center (how about LeCharles Bentley), and let the rest of the guys battle it out for LG.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #63
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200241 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you could draft D'brick and Winston ... and still have problems with our current staff .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #64
JfromthaTray
Veteran

Say we draft Brick or Mckinney(The U) to play LT. Pitts at RT, the coaches think Weigert is OK at RG. How about Wade at LG and say Bentley at C. Or is there some flaw in Wade's game that would prevent him from playing LG.
JfromthaTray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #65
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromthaTray
Say we draft Brick or Mckinney(The U) to play LT. Pitts at RT, the coaches think Weigert is OK at RG. How about Wade at LG and say Bentley at C. Or is there some flaw in Wade's game that would prevent him from playing LG.
All I know about Wade is he can run block like crazy...but he is a pathetic pass blocker because he isn't athletic enough. Victor Riley is more athletic than him...he's just a big stiff Herman Munster like guy who cant move his feet well laterally and doesn't get good knee bend.

Old 10-14-2005   #66
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromthaTray
If we cut Mckinney, the people at 610am radio will have a fit, not to mention B. Allen, although lately he has been asking a bit tougher questions. Cut the poster child for the local media, 1 year too late. I'd have cut him this year.
I have never understood the fascination with McKinney. Must be his rhino tattoo.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #67
JfromthaTray
Veteran

They released Glenn, so I don't think it has anything to do with him being a homer. May have somthin to do with the huntin -n- fishin.
JfromthaTray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2005   #68
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
The Carr - McKinney QB/Center tandem has a $12 million dollar cap hit next year assuming the team picks up Carr's deal. That's mindboggling for the level of player they turned out to be.
Vinny I disagree with you on Carr until the O-line is fixed, but I will point out something I picked up on the other day and mentioned in another thread and that is they have no one but McKinney to call blocking assignments for the O-line. That appears to be the stumbling block on McKinney. I can't believe that's true, but that appears to be the case. Why aren't they grooming someone else to do that. Seems like a lot of job security to me......
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #69
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a sneaky feeling that Armstrong will get plenty of reps next year, after they let Gaffney go UFA. Drew will get stupid during negotiations and I have heard nothing about them extending Gaff.

Gaff and Armstrong are basically the same receiver and one will be 1/4 the cost of the other
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #70
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I have a sneaky feeling that Armstrong will get plenty of reps next year, after they let Gaffney go UFA. Drew will get stupid during negotiations and I have heard nothing about them extending Gaff.

Gaff and Armstrong are basically the same receiver and one will be 1/4 the cost of the other
We let go of 3 WR's in TC who are better than Bradford. That was a coaching decision. I can bet that AJ will want to go somewhere else the way its shaping up here. He has talent, but he's not really being coached well here. Like Carr he is regressing. His hands have always been in question and its showing up once again this year.

Last edited by Ibar_Harry; 10-14-2005 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-14-2005   #71
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200241 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

We have let go alot of players . The good news is you can still watch them on the tube . They landed on their feet and are playing well .

I guess we have never defined what a Houston Texan player is . The good teams will draft a guy and plug him in and voila its agood fit . We get a player and it seems he regresses .

Robaire was a DT who was switched to a 3-4 end and I think he's coming around . We have let a couple of LBs go who could clearly start for us ... one could 'nt get on the field but I think he went to the Pro-Bowl for San Diego .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #72
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
We have let go alot of players . The good news is you can still watch them on the tube . They landed on their feet and are playing well .

I guess we have never defined what a Houston Texan player is . The good teams will draft a guy and plug him in and voila its agood fit . We get a player and it seems he regresses .

Robaire was a DT who was switched to a 3-4 end and I think he's coming around . We have let a couple of LBs go who could clearly start for us ... one could 'nt get on the field but I think he went to the Pro-Bowl for San Diego .
That's not the GM's fault...........................
Old 10-14-2005   #73
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111660 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I was McNair I would have some independent scouts and talent evaluators on the side studying game film to grade the talent on the roster as the year wears on...I don't trust this current FEMA-like group of football experts to make a seriously honest, credible analysis.

i made a post about that a couple of days ago actually...

"outside consultants" to get a diffrent perspective on our players-coaches-and to reevaluate our gm...plus then we at least have a place to start when evaluating college talent if casserly gets fired.

i think carr being benched in the next couple of games may be an indicator mcnair has decided to keep casserly.

i think mcnair would also be wise to have a "spy" or 2 on the next coaching staff. a deepthroat sort with no worries on speaking the truth to mcnair behind closed doors.

its been my employement experience that sometimes people at the "grunt level" have the best insight on whats wrong...they just dont have the authority to change it.
Old 10-14-2005   #74
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I'll take Armstrong's catches for a few extra first downs if the other choice is Bradford's rare long catch.

That's completely right. Bradford, for all the grief he takes out on these boards is not a bad receiver BUT you have to know how to use him. To begin with Bradford is never going to be a consistent starter for you. He wants to be and he tries to be but it's not going to happen. If it was going to happen it would have by now.

What you do is keep Bradford coming off the bench and trying to earn that starting spot. He's at his best when the defense hasn't seen him for most of the day and he's trying to prove that he can be your #2. Then he comes in while your #2 is taking a breather and rips off that one long TD.

Starting him is just not a good idea. Armstrong, Gaffney, maybe even Mathis (we just don't know enough about him yet) are your potential #2's.
Old 10-14-2005   #75
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda
i think carr being benched in the next couple of games may be an indicator mcnair has decided to keep casserly.
I don't understand why this would be favorable to Casserly. He is the guy who picked him.

Old 10-14-2005   #76
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Out of frustration about any specifics about Wand in Chronical coverage
lately during the OL shakeup, I E-mailed Chron writer M.Manfull to ask her what Wand's current status is. She said, and of course I'm paraphrasing here,
that Wand is still with the team, at practice, etc. but the Texans feel that Wand, while a good run blocker, lacked the athleticism and mobility to handle the speed rushers in pass protection. She did add that he is still young with time to learn.
Anyway, shows how little I know, because I've always been under the impression that Wand's strong suite was pass blocking and not run blocking and also that he was relatively athletic with quick feet.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #77
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Out of frustration about any specifics about Wand in Chronical coverage
lately during the OL shakeup, I E-mailed Chron writer M.Manfull to ask her what Wand's current status is. She said, and of course I'm paraphrasing here,
that Wand is still with the team, at practice, etc. but the Texans feel that Wand, while a good run blocker, lacked the athleticism and mobility to handle the speed rushers in pass protection. She did add that he is still young with time to learn.
Anyway, shows how little I know, because I've always been under the impression that Wand's strong suite was pass blocking and not run blocking and also that he was relatively athletic with quick feet.
Mr B. thought so and was tuitoring him before he left. Still think Mr. B didn't become an assistant because he didn't like what was going on.
Old 10-14-2005   #78
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111660 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't understand why this would be favorable to Casserly. He is the guy who picked him.
better to eat crow for 3/4 of a season then loose any chance of salvaging your "franchise qb". my feeling on it is the longer carr is in there with this line the more you jeopardize his chance of ever reaching his potential.

if mcnair decides to keep casserly i think casserly lays down the law. casserly would still consider carr a longterm part of the team...why let a shortterm coaching staff ruin him anymore then they already have?
Old 10-14-2005   #79
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
You have had that backwards then. Wand's strength has been his run blocking, not his pass protection.

Old 10-14-2005   #80
ComstockLode
Veteran

Why didnt anyone ask him if our oline is so good, then why would none of them start at any other team in the league?

What a joke, clean house including casserly after this season.

Give me a coach and or GM who has the attitude of van gundy. Never satisfied, and not pumping out excuses for failure.

Tell it how it is, we are the worst team in the NFL and the team needs to get their asses into gear.
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read