Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-14-2005   #41
JfromthaTray
Veteran

My only question about D'Brick is if he's that good to make an immediate impact as a rookie. I don't have the patience to wait 2 or 3 years for him to develope. I like Bush with the#1 pick and through free agency get some talent in here to help him. Not knocking DD, I say we put them on the field at the same time like Auburn did with Brown and Williams and Miami is doing with Brown and Williams(Ricky).
JfromthaTray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #42
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Wand, Pitts, Hodgon, Wade, Weigert

Doesn't take care of the right side the way I wished it would, but it at least anchors the left and the center. The only certainty for me is Pitts at LG. I don't like Wade or Weigert on the right, but I don't think Riley or Weary would be an improvement. I'm willing to take a risk on Hodgon, though.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #43
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromthaTray
My only question about D'Brick is if he's that good to make an immediate impact as a rookie. I don't have the patience to wait 2 or 3 years for him to develope.
Whats the alternative? Teams don't let Franchise Tackles go into Free Agency.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #44
JfromthaTray
Veteran

All I have are questions, no answers, like everyone else. I'd just hate to see a playmaker like Bush go elsewhere if we have a shot at him. I also understand that offensive playmakers need a halfway decent line to allow him to make plays. What do we do. IN MY OPINION, we can get solid linemen through free agency or off waivers. I'm talking solid linemen who other teams can't pay due to the cap, not just anl old cast offs. Not saying I'm right, just my opinion, what's yours?
Old 10-14-2005   #45
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
IN MY OPINION, we can get solid linemen through free agency or off waivers. I'm talking solid linemen who other teams can't pay due to the cap, not just anl old cast offs. Not saying I'm right, just my opinion, what's yours?
That's what led to this mess, and once again...teams don't let Franchise LT's go into FA. McKinney, Weigert, Wade Washington and Riley are what you got out of Free Agency....I already stated that I would draft linemen...I did it last year in the mock draft here as well..

Old 10-14-2005   #46
JfromthaTray
Veteran

Good point, where does that leave us rebuilding the entire line through the draft? If we draft Brick, that only teams him up with the same players we have now less one LT. I haven't paid much attention to Weigert in all of this. Is his play consistant(not poor) or is he just as bad as the rest of the OL?
Old 10-14-2005   #47
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Good point, where does that leave us rebuilding the entire line through the draft? If we draft Brick, that only teams him up with the same players we have now less one LT. I haven't paid much attention to Weigert in all of this. Is his play consistant(not poor) or is he just as bad as the rest of the OL?
You can only patch one hole at a time. Teams can win with average QB's and dominant lines. It's much harder to win with great skill guys and no line. Weigert isn't the problem on this line.

Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2005   #48
ATX_Texan
Veteran

Default Change is good.

Quote:
First thing I would do is blow this whole organization up and bring in someone to replace Casserly. Let them bring in a new coach and then I'd try to trade down a few spots (assuming we pick at the top) and take a LT. I'd try to sign Carr to a much smaller contract and if he doesn't agree I'd pursue a veteran because Carr's days as a "franchise QB" are over. He is just another guy now so paying him franchise money would be a huge mistake (I'd bring in another Vet to push him if we do resign him as well). I think I have read that we have to kick in his contract by March...but I'm not clear on that.
I am in total agreement with this plan. I think the remainder of this season should be spent doing experiments like what we are seeing with the shuffling of the offense line. We have all seen what Casserly, Capers, Fangio working together have created - a horrible mess. Firing Palmer revealed that the problems lie much deeper. With the lame duck coaching staff, we need to start evaluating who stays and who goes. I know no one wants to face the fact that rebuilding needs to begin again, but that is the reality.
ATX_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #49
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Well guys - there will be no quick fix. It is the rare college LT that can come in and be consistently very good as a rookie. It may be a little easier for other o-line positions, but we're looking at a two year plan here.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #50
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Vin you are right on target buddy. I think Cass will be smart and take a top LT hopefully Winston who is playing much better than Ferguson right now. And then maybe steal a guy like Withworth or damn forgot the centers name. But look for us to take three lineman in the draft and then a qb, rb, wr, and lb.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #51
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX_Texan
With the lame duck coaching staff, we need to start evaluating who stays and who goes. I know no one wants to face the fact that rebuilding needs to begin again, but that is the reality.
If I was McNair I would have some independent scouts and talent evaluators on the side studying game film to grade the talent on the roster as the year wears on...I don't trust this current FEMA-like group of football experts to make a seriously honest, credible analysis.

Old 10-14-2005   #52
JfromthaTray
Veteran

We saw in year 1 what happens when you start too many rookies on the OL. Can Carr survive another year like that, better yet, will he survive this year. Bush still gets my vote for the #1 pick and there is no way we can duplicate the results that we've had on the free agent market. I hope.
Old 10-14-2005   #53
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
If I was McNair I would have some independent scouts and talent evaluators on the side studying game film to grade the talent on the roster as the year wears on...I don't trust this current FEMA-like group of football experts to make a seriously honest, credible analysis.
Darn straight.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #54
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
We saw in year 1 what happens when you start too many rookies on the OL. Can Carr survive another year like that, better yet, will he survive this year. Bush still gets my vote for the #1 pick and there is no way we can duplicate the results that we've had on the free agent market. I hope.
We were only an expansion team once. We won't have to play multiple rookies....we should sign one FA starting Guard (and or Center) and draft a franchise quality LT. The rest of the guys should be alright to fill in around them....oh yeah, and cut Steve McKinney and his $4,706,160 cap number next year. He is seriously over paid.

Old 10-14-2005   #55
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think all great teams have great line play . The old Redskins with the Hogs won 3 super bowls with 3 different QBs . Their Dline Had Charles Grant , ? , Dave Butts and Manley .

I guess CC tried to go that route with Boselli and Young it just did'nt pan out .
Old 10-14-2005   #56
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
how about a select few of us right here on this board? it would be nice to have their access to the athletes/agents, but even without all that we should be able to do a better job and pigs do
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #57
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
cut Steve McKinney and his $4,706,160 cap number next year. He is seriously over paid.
R U Carr A Z? What about the Inside Skinny? No way could the Houston airwaves survive without it!
Old 10-14-2005   #58
Vinny
shiny happy fan

The Carr - McKinney QB/Center tandem has a $12 million dollar cap hit next year assuming the team picks up Carr's deal. That's mindboggling for the level of player they turned out to be.

Old 10-14-2005   #59
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With Brick/Winston/McNeill at LT, Pitts can hold down the LG spot. That has the potential to be an All-Pro left side. The team seems to be fine as far as RG and RT prospects go. Weigert/Brown combo should suffice for now. As for RT, Wade/Riley/Wand should be passable until the next draft. That just leaves them looking for a real C to hold down the middle and coordinate the line. And with 2 thirds and a second plus anything they get from a potential trade down from 1, the team can bring in another C to develop and compete with Hodgdon. This is the year to fix the oline problems.

I believe the talent is there at the skill positions. With a top-notch oline, DD, AJ and the other receivers Carr (or whoever replaces him) should have a field day.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #60
JfromthaTray
Veteran

If we cut Mckinney, the people at 610am radio will have a fit, not to mention B. Allen, although lately he has been asking a bit tougher questions. Cut the poster child for the local media, 1 year too late. I'd have cut him this year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read