Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-14-2005   #21
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromthaTray
I agree and even said the same thing about pitts. I disagree wit the Wand issue. I don't think wand is strong enough to play LT even though he has the stature. Look at this guy's arms. It makes me wonder if he even spends time in the weight room. I'm willing to bet that he can't bench 500lbs. Before you say something, no I can't, but when I played HSFB at JY, we had 9 or 10 guys benching that much and a couple were in the 11th grade. Start Armstrong, Wade run block yes pass block no, but I think he can play better.
This a good example of coaching from looking at paper rather than looking at play. Wand's performance last year was better than Riley's and Wade's this year. On field performance should count for something, right?

Wand spent so much time in the weight room last pre-season that (according to Capers) Capers said he had to kick him out so he wouldn't hurt himself, so throw out that assumption

Just because you looked at his arms and make an assumption doesn't make it true. I don't know how much Wand can press, nor Riley, and I don't think a raw bench press number means much anyway. However, I bet Wand still has his strength after 3 quarters of football, while Riley can't do more than shuffle his feet in the 4th quarter.

I'll reconsider my opinion if we get into a weight lifting contest, but right now I'd settle for improved pass blocking.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #22
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
At this point I think we should put Wand, Pitts, McKinny, Wiegert, Wade out there and take our lumps. Same line as last year but at least with some upside on the leftside. Pitts is probably the best option at LT but he will be right back at lg next year if we draft a stud lt next year. Why not just let Pitts keep learning the position we know he will be playing here long term?
its clear that Wand has not endeared himself to Pendry, so as of now he is just taking up a roster spot (even though I agree with you). Pitts has the footwork, hand punch & now the experience to be effective at LT, therefore he is the best choice at the position. after that McKinney should remain @ center, Weigert RG & Wade RT. the big question is LG with moving Pitts to tackle? I would remove Reily from the starting line-up at any position and insert Milford Brown to play LG. so here is my Texans O-Line-

Chester Pitts-LT Milford Brown-LG Steve McKinney-C Zach Weigert-RG Todd Wade-RT
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Says Armstrong plays well whenever he is in, which puts coaches in a dilemma because no one has played bad enough to be benched.

Nobody has played bad enough to be benched?
This means when they break down film there are guys open but Carr hasn't gotten them the ball.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #24
JfromthaTray
Veteran

First of all, I'm no riley fan, Pitts is the best LT on the team. I watched as wand got pushed around the field last year and BTW if he's that much better than Riley, why did Riley beat him out and TAKE HIS STARTING JOB FROM HIM IN CAMP. Did you forget about that. It takes strength to keep from getting bull rushed as Wand did many times last year, which no doubt, contributed to HIM LOOSING HIS STARTING JOB TO RILEY. You are wasting my time.
JfromthaTray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #25
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
its clear that Wand has not endeared himself to Pendry, so as of now he is just taking up a roster spot (even though I agree with you). Pitts has the footwork, hand punch & now the experience to be effective at LT, therefore he is the best choice at the position. after that McKinney should remain @ center, Weigert RG & Wade RT. the big question is LG with moving Pitts to tackle? I would remove Reily from the starting line-up at any position and insert Milford Brown to play LG. so here is my Texans O-Line-

Chester Pitts-LT Milford Brown-LG Steve McKinney-C Zach Weigert-RG Todd Wade-RT
That's looks as good as it's going to get until Pendry gets over his problem with Wand. (I think you're right that that's the problem). However, they still may be putting Riley ahead of Wade. Maybe they should each play a half or platoon. Riley is just too exhausted after more than half a game.
Old 10-14-2005   #26
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
That's looks as good as it's going to get until Pendry gets over his problem with Wand. (I think you're right that that's the problem). However, they still may be putting Riley ahead of Wade. Maybe they should each play a half or platoon. Riley is just too exhausted after more than half a game.
I'm glad we could solve this enigma, now could someone please forward to the Texans GM & Coaching staff
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #27
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Look at this guy's arms. It makes me wonder if he even spends time in the weight room. I'm willing to bet that he can't bench 500lbs. Before you say something, no I can't, but when I played HSFB at JY, we had 9 or 10 guys benching that much and a couple were in the 11th grade.
I am baffled by "look at this guy's arms." Wand is massive. A leviathon. A behemoth. After all, he's a lineman. It comes with the territory. But if you want to compare pictures, check out that sagging gut of Riley's. I'll take Wand's "tiny" arms over Riley's bulging gut-check any day.

BTW - I'm just curious. How many of your high school buddies play for the NFL?

Last edited by Texans Horror; 10-14-2005 at 07:13 AM.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2005   #28
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
This means when they break down film there are guys open but Carr hasn't gotten them the ball.

I hadn't thought of it from that angle.

Vinny, what is your opinion on next years draft if we end up with the first pick. I understand it is way early but would you take Leinart or trade back a few spots and get a stud LT along with some extra picks. I'm asking because this is Carr's option year and by season end it may/may not show Carr to be a problem. If Carr looks no better than he does right now would he be worth keeping and if not could the Texans fo have enough balls to let him walk? If Carr did walk would we receive any compensation? Lastly, what is the deadline for the Texans on Carr's $8 million option?
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #29
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
I hadn't thought of it from that angle.

Vinny, what is your opinion on next years draft if we end up with the first pick. I understand it is way early but would you take Leinart or trade back a few spots and get a stud LT along with some extra picks. I'm asking because this is Carr's option year and by season end it may/may not show Carr to be a problem. If Carr looks no better than he does right now would he be worth keeping and if not could the Texans fo have enough balls to let him walk? If Carr did walk would we receive any compensation? Lastly, what is the deadline for the Texans on Carr's $8 million option?
First thing I would do is blow this whole organization up and bring in someone to replace Casserly. Let them bring in a new coach and then I'd try to trade down a few spots (assuming we pick at the top) and take a LT. I'd try to sign Carr to a much smaller contract and if he doesn't agree I'd pursue a veteran because Carr's days as a "franchise QB" are over. He is just another guy now so paying him franchise money would be a huge mistake (I'd bring in another Vet to push him if we do resign him as well). I think I have read that we have to kick in his contract by March...but I'm not clear on that.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #30
JfromthaTray
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
I am baffled by "look at this guy's arms." Wand is massive. A leviathon. A behemoth. After all, he's a lineman. It comes with the territory. But if you want to compare pictures, check out that sagging gut of Riley's. I'll take Wand's "tiny" arms over Riley's bulging gut-check any day.

BTW - I'm just curious. How many of your high school buddies play for the NFL?
They are long and lack muscle, I'm baffeled by what you see. If you read everything, I acknowledged the fact that the guy was not lacking the stature of a lineman, I question his upper body strength. Again Pitts is the best LT on the team and I'm no riley fan. But the fact still remains that RILEY BEAT OUT WAND IN CAMP AND TOOK HIS STARTING JOB FROM HIM. Don't blame me for pointing out that the guy lacks upper body strength. The coaches saw it too because and they saw something better in Riley BEAT WAND IN CAMP AND TOOK HIS STARTING JOB.
Old 10-14-2005   #31
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
First of all, I'm no riley fan, Pitts is the best LT on the team. I watched as wand got pushed around the field last year and BTW if he's that much better than Riley, why did Riley beat him out and TAKE HIS STARTING JOB FROM HIM IN CAMP. Did you forget about that. It takes strength to keep from getting bull rushed as Wand did many times last year, which no doubt, contributed to HIM LOOSING HIS STARTING JOB TO RILEY. You are wasting my time.
Wow. Um.....well said. You might be taken more seriously without the outrage that you've been disagreed with though.

I didn't forget the coaches decision to start Riley. I also didn't realize the coaching staff had made all the right decisions all year.

Let's see - Wand 12.5 sacks last year. Riley on pace for 26. Wade on pace for 20. Far less penalties by Wand. They haven't faced Freeney yet. If I didn't know the coaches were infallible, I would have considered they may have made a mistake. Then I'd consider if a mistake by the coaches makes Wand a worse player in reality. But that's just me.
Old 10-14-2005   #32
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
This means when they break down the film the oline isn't doing its job to allow Carr time to let the play develop, much less find Armstrong, usually the 3rd or 4th option Hence the shuffle on the oline.
Old 10-14-2005   #33
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems the Texans like Ashley Simpson types . She can't sing or perform but she looks good . Play Janis Joplin she was'nt pretty or glamorous but she could perform .

I wonder what Wands body fat % is . He looks like he's built like one of the Utah Jazz's back up centers .
Old 10-14-2005   #34
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
It seems the Texans like Ashley Simpson types . She can't sing or perform but she looks good . Play Janis Joplin she was'nt pretty or glamorous but she could perform .

I wonder what Wands body fat % is . He looks like he's built like one of the Utah Jazz's back up centers .

Watch it - you're going to get yelled at too.
Old 10-14-2005   #35
JfromthaTray
Veteran

Well let me calm down. Your opinion is yours and my opinion is mine, you are not wrong and I am not right, thats what this forum is for opinions. I understand that very well. It will always offend me when I'm accused of being a stat boy. Stats don't always tell the whole story. I base my opinions on what I see in the game on the field. How many of those sacks were Carr's fault for holding the ball too long or running out of bounds behind the LOS. I'll say it again, Pitts is the best LT on the team.... In my opinion.
Old 10-14-2005   #36
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208658 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
I forgot to mention that, but it doesn't excuse the drops by AJ and Bradford.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #37
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Well let me calm down. Your opinion is yours and my opinion is mine, you are not wrong and I am not right, thats what this forum is for opinions. I understand that very well. It will always offend me when I'm accused of being a stat boy. Stats don't always tell the whole story. I base my opinions on what I see in the game on the field. How many of those sacks were Carr's fault for holding the ball too long or running out of bounds behind the LOS. I'll say it again, Pitts is the best LT on the team.... In my opinion.
That opinion is shared by a lot of people; I'm in the minority there.

Another question from a team play perspective is this:

Even if Pitts is a better LT than Wand, would a left side of Wand/Pitts be stronger than Pitts/McKinney or Pitts/Brown?

What do you think?
Old 10-14-2005   #38
JfromthaTray
Veteran

I'm just not sold on Wand at LT. If you put Pitts at LT and Wand at LG, maybe. But then you still have a problem at center. Mckinney is terrible. Washington at C and let Weigert make the line calls since he's the only one the coaches are confident in.
Old 10-14-2005   #39
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
I'm just not sold on Wand at LT. If you put Pitts at LT and Wand at LG, maybe. But then you still have a problem at center. Mckinney is terrible. Washington at C and let Weigert make the line calls since he's the only one the coaches are confident in.
Right. It almost comes down to a question if Wand is a better LT than our back-ups at guard or center. Opinions differ.

As I've stated before, even putting Orlando Pace at LT and leaving the rest of the line the same would solve a few of our problems, but wouldn't make our line a juggernaut by any means. The o-line is a unit.
Old 10-14-2005   #40
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems Pitts is the best LT . It seems the Texans drafted him as the LG and by God thats where he is playing . If say we did draft D'Brick would not Pitts be a good RT.

Either the coaching staff was dealt a sorry hand (Casserly) or they can't coach . The Texans have brought in through the draft or free agengcy about 10 guys surely their not all bust . ( Capers)

Capers + Casserly = 0

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read