Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-14-2005   #1
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Casserly Interview on 610

Here's what I have so far - it's kind of rough.

He said because of additional experience, Pitts is a better player now then when he was previously an LT. He points out several times that Pitts and rest of lines will have a learning curve and we need to patient

Asked if changes for pass protection reasons will effect running games. He says it could, but they hope not. States Brown, Pitts, right tackle all good run blockers.

He stated he was concerned bout o-line coordination, says they are better on paper but they have to see how they play.

He states we can run when we stay at it.

Asked if it was unfair to play Riley at LT. Casserly said some people are just better on either the right or left. Said at left faces more speed rushers. Said they got Riley to be back-up RT but in the spring decided to give him a shot a LT, and then he had a good camp.

Wand's name never brought up.

Fred Weary plays D-line on practice squad because of injuries to d-line, so game simulations may not bethat good.

Says Dre might not play. Says Armstrong plays well whenever he is in, which puts coaches in a dilemma because no one has played bad enough to be benched.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Two statements that struck me.

Said they got Riley to be back-up RT but in the spring decided to give him a shot a LT

Give him a shot - it looks good on paper

Says Armstrong plays well whenever he is in, which puts coaches in a dilemma because no one has played bad enough to be benched.

Nobody has played bad enough to be benched?
Old 10-14-2005   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Says Armstrong plays well whenever he is in, which puts coaches in a dilemma because no one has played bad enough to be benched.
That is one of the most pathetic things I have ever heard from that man's mouth. He's not on the field becuse no one has played bad enough? How about how GOOD Armstrong is when he's on the field? Jeez...
Old 10-14-2005   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
How about how GOOD Armstrong is when he's on the field? Jeez...

that's what I thought too.
Old 10-14-2005   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Default More Q/A

Still rough:

Q: Matt Murphy - can he be a big pass catcher? How's his health.
A: Rivers ahead of Murphy, somewhat due to injury. Is improving will continue to get better.

Q: Until o-line fixed, will they be primarily blockers?
A: No - except for blitzes they check/release right now. We focus on receivers rather than Tes in passing game because we have Dre.

Q: How good are players' heart
A: No question they have heart and work hard. Need to make some plays to jump start team.
Old 10-14-2005   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Default More

Q: Will one win reestablish confidence?
A: It's not as simple as that, but it can make a difference. It's not that the players have lost confidence in themselves, but there are levels of confidence.

Q: How does loosing sharper affect moral of defense.
A: No question he did a good job but you had to look at finances and the future. If hadn't signed Greenwood, Sharper would be here this year but not next. Talked about 3-4 ILB learning curve.

Q: Babin's health
A: Not playing, getting better.

Q: At times Bradford looks like speed guy, but consistently wouldn't Armstrong be better - he makes more players?
A: That's part of the equation. That is a good question and a good argument.

Q: Would Mathis being healthy change things?
A: Production is the determining factor. Experience in practice is helping.
Old 10-14-2005   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Commercial. I'm glad I never wanted to be a court reporter.

Last edited by Runner; 10-14-2005 at 05:40 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2005   #8
profan
Veteran

No one's played bad enough to be benched? How about bradfords drops? Again, this organization is not playing the best players, bradford was bad enough to cut, and no one picked him up, but he's not bad enough to be benched. Man, i'm beginning to think cass. is right up there with the coaching staff and this is not good.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by profan
No one's played bad enough to be benched? How about bradfords drops? Again, this organization is not playing the best players, bradford was bad enough to cut, and no one picked him up, but he's not bad enough to be benched. Man, i'm beginning to think cass. is right up there with the coaching staff and this is not good.
It might be the corporate line or if he just doesn't want to disagree with the coaches in the press. I don't know.
Old 10-14-2005   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Default By the way

He's been giving much more detailed answers than I'm transcribing. I'm trying to hit the high points.
Old 10-14-2005   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

He was asked questions about the Vikings situation and the Super Bowl bid. I didn't really listen to the answers. I'm on hold to ask the Wand question. I doubt I'll get in before the end of the show.
Old 10-14-2005   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
He was asked questions about the Vikings situation and the Super Bowl bid. I didn't really listen to the answers. I'm on hold to ask the Wand question. I doubt I'll get in before the end of the show.
I didn't get through. Show's over.
Old 10-14-2005   #13
JfromthaTray
Veteran

I know the show's over, but you are right, its not professional to disagree with the staff and bad mouth players to the media. They say that Cass did a good job in Washington, but for the exception of a few, either his eye for talent has diminished, or the players he's drafting don't fit in with what Dom wants to do.
JfromthaTray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #14
Tayton
Veteran

Corey Bradford 7 catches 92 yards 4 games. Not bad enough for you, Charlie.
PLAY ARMSTRONG!!!!!!
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #15
JfromthaTray
Veteran

I'll bet his number of drops is even more impressive.
Old 10-14-2005   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayton
Corey Bradford 7 catches 92 yards 4 games. Not bad enough for you, Charlie.
PLAY ARMSTRONG!!!!!!
It seems so simple from the sidelines - put in the people who make plays now, not those with the potential to make a few big plays, or those who used to make plays but can't any more. It certainly doesn't take Napier's Bones to figure that out!

I'll take Armstrong's catches for a few extra first downs if the other choice is Bradford's rare long catch.
Old 10-14-2005   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Quote:
No one's played bad enough to be benched? How about bradfords drops?
Quote:
I'll bet his (Bradford) number of drops is even more impressive.
I can actually almost see where he's coming from here. To be honest, what determines if a WR is playing poorly? Catches and route running, for the most part. A little blocking, but mostly the receiving aspects. We don't have much information on route running, but when it comes to drops, it's pretty easy to see when a receiver has a ball hit him right in the hands and he drops it. Andre Johnson leads this team in drops right now. If you mix in the last two preseason games, just for performance measurement, it's not even close. I am not a Bradford fan, but he played a pretty decent game last week. Even the play in the end zone that he didn't come up with wasn't classified as a drop. Nor should it have been. He laid out for it, caught it with one hand, pulled it in, and knocked it out of his first hand with his second. That was frustrating, but to be honest, he made a great effort on the ball.

So who do you bench from the WR corps? Since AJ is injured, I say just start Gaffney (our most productive receiver to date) and rotate the other three in. They're definitely not giving enough opportunity to Armstrong.
eriadoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #18
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Appreciate the post runner.

I don't believe for a minute that they signed Riley to be a back up rt. They got him to play lt and it backfired. Wand did better than this guy. It seems like they don't even consider playing Wand anymore for some reason. At least Wand has an upside. (I can't believe I'm defending Wand)

Armstrong should be starting instead of Bradford. He makes plays and gets open despite lacking speed. Bradford drops way too many balls and shouldn't even be on the team.

At this point I think we should put Wand, Pitts, McKinny, Wiegert, Wade out there and take our lumps. Same line as last year but at least with some upside on the leftside. Pitts is probably the best option at LT but he will be right back at lg next year if we draft a stud lt next year. Why not just let Pitts keep learning the position we know he will be playing here long term?
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

has anyone seen Donovan Morgan from the practice squad play? if my #1 WR is down then I'd call up my #1 practice squad WR because if you lose one more during the game then you may need to call on him to actually get some pt. then re-evaulate the WR corps when AJ comes back to see who should be in the rotation
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #20
JfromthaTray
Veteran

I agree and even said the same thing about pitts. I disagree wit the Wand issue. I don't think wand is strong enough to play LT even though he has the stature. Look at this guy's arms. It makes me wonder if he even spends time in the weight room. I'm willing to bet that he can't bench 500lbs. Before you say something, no I can't, but when I played HSFB at JY, we had 9 or 10 guys benching that much and a couple were in the 11th grade. Start Armstrong, Wade run block yes pass block no, but I think he can play better.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read