Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-13-2005   #1
jmantexfan
Rookie

Default If AJ is out who will shine

I think AJs injury will force one of our other wideouts to step up and establish themselves as a threat to take the weight off AJs shoulders when he returns. However, i think this will only happen if Armstrong and Mathis each get substancial PT this week. In order for that to happen,Bradford must sit alot. and Gaff should get some extra rest time too. C'mon, at this point we can afford to experiment, right. If the both play, one will have a great game, possibly leading to less double teams on AJ in the future.I liked Mathis in the few plays he was in last week and i have always like Armstrong. I definately believe one of those two will shine if given a proper chance.
jmantexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #2
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

If AJ is out, the Punter will shine.
Old 10-13-2005   #3
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think we need to get gaffney & armstrong much more involved in the passing game. they both run solid routes and have incredible hands which is what we need right now. that's why i liked miller so much. sure he isnt much of a blocker, but he was a big target that carr had confidence in. no we're not going to outrun anybody like that, but we're going to have receivers carr isnt afraid to throw into coverage at (at this point i'd prefer INT's to sacks) & guys that actually catch everything near them.
Old 10-13-2005   #4
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Mathis as a long yardage player. Armstrong as a short yardage receiver and Gaffney to catch it any time there covered up.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mathis definately
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think DD could have a good game next week. We need to establish a run game early, and keep feeding him the ball. Let our OL push and show some aggression. Then always have DD as a quick option for DC in the face of the blitz.

The defense can't be everywhere at once, and they always give offenses somewhere to find success when they blitz. At the moment, teams key in on the fact that our no. 1 weakness is our inability to protect the QB. We need to use the defenses willingness to exploit this to our advantage by running against the flow of the blitz and quick passes to negate the constant pressure.
Old 10-13-2005   #7
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I really don't understand why Armstrong hasn't been used more. He's almost automatic when thrown to. And I understand that Mathis is a rookie and coming up in the leauge, but by using Derick in the slot or outside, you have a pretty viable threat.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-13-2005   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I think DD could have a good game next week. We need to establish a run game early, and keep feeding him the ball. Let our OL push and show some aggression. Then always have DD as a quick option for DC in the face of the blitz.

The defense can't be everywhere at once, and they always give offenses somewhere to find success when they blitz. At the moment, teams key in on the fact that our no. 1 weakness is our inability to protect the QB. We need to use the defenses willingness to exploit this to our advantage by running against the flow of the blitz and quick passes to negate the constant pressure.
The one thing to remember is that most teams aren't blitzing us with everyone. In most instances it is just the four down lineman and everyone else is in coverage.

To answer the question, Armstrong will have a great game.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #9
William.carter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
I really don't understand why Armstrong hasn't been used more. He's almost automatic when thrown to. And I understand that Mathis is a rookie and coming up in the leauge, but by using Derick in the slot or outside, you have a pretty viable threat.
I agree. At the very least it's someone the defense knows they have to cover or press. It only takes a couple of catches before they have to loosen up on our primary.
William.carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #10
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Well, all of the defenses that we've played so far realize that we have no deep pass whatsoever. So why not put someone that's sure handed and can make the clutch catch on a quick route, rather than try to get the ball 40 yards downfield and taking the sack?
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #11
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Remember our offense PRE JOHNSON?? Billy Miller had a carreer year. With AJ out I'm betting our tight ends get a lot more passes thrown their way. The only question is... can they catch ball?
Old 10-13-2005   #12
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

The coaches wont give Carr and the WR a chance to shine. So my anwser is nobody. DD will have another 150 all purpose yards game but it wont be enough to win the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #13
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Sloan Thomas :brickwall
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #14
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
Sloan Thomas :brickwall
and Reggie Swinton. :brickwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #15
touttail
All Pro

Mathis is now saying his knee is hurt, boy this is getting old. Maybe Armstrong, a real WR, will get some PT finally!!!!!!!!!

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #16
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Chad Stanley :brickwall
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #17
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
Mathis is now saying his knee is hurt, boy this is getting old. Maybe Armstrong, a real WR, will get some PT finally!!!!!!!!!

bobby 119C
i had high hopes for mathis too.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #18
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Mathis hopefully.

One thing I hope to see is Morency taking a few downs to let DD rest. I like Wells but bringing consistant DD/Morency speed would put alot of pressure on our opponents defenses.

Last edited by Malloy; 10-14-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Toro looks pretty good out there jump kicking the enemy, flying down from the rafters and doing pretty well with the ladies. Mess with the bull and you will get the horns.

Mathis is your man if Carr can find his First Round QB starter kit and throw some accurate deep balls.
Old 10-14-2005   #20
touttail
All Pro

I think they would play Toro, but the equipment manager can't fins a helmet that will fit him!

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read