Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-14-2005   #21
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Good point Mork. I agree somewhat, but I think our defense is not consistently bad, but bad on inopportune occasions.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #22
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Our D will be only average until they change the focus of their playcalling. Running an 8 man blanket zone does nothing but give WR more time to get open and QB's ALL DAY to throw a pass. A vicious rush is the key to ints.
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #23
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Good point Mork. I agree somewhat, but I think our defense is not consistently bad, but bad on inopportune occasions.
Or at make BIG play or two on opportune occasions.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #24
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
I definitely disagree that we have the worst defense in the NFL. Let's look at some of the stats so far this season:

25th in total yards allowed per game (346.2) - definitely not good but much
better than the 451.8 that the 49ers are giving up.
27th in yards per play (5.7) - also not good but obviously not the worst.
8th in 3rd down percentage (32.6%) - in the top 1/4 in the league in this
statistic.
31st in time of possession allowed, but that is as much the offense's fault as
the defense's.
29th in completion percentage allowed (68.4%) - also definitely not good, but
once again the same teams are below us.
23rd in passing yards allowed per game (227.5) - not good but definitely not
the worst in the league (SF at 343.6)
26th in rushing yards allowed (118.8), but 13th in yards per rush (3.8) and
we are one of three teams (Tampa Bay and New England) to not allow a
single run of over 20 yards this season. Teams get so many rushing yards
cause they have been up late in games and are trying to run out the
clock. Parker of Pittsburgh only had like 70 yards midway through the 4th.
20th in passing yards allowed (230.0) and tied for 4th fewest 20+ yard
passing plays allowed.

We are one of only four teams to allow more FGs than TDs, which is saying something too.
While we do only have four sacks in four games, which I admit is pretty pathetic, the Redskins also have four sacks in four games and the Panthers have five sacks in five games, so we are not the only team averaging 1.0 sack per game, and I don't think many people consider the Redskins or Panthers defenses bad. The turnovers issue is definitely dissapointing too, although the Ravens and Patriots, two of the top defenses, only have 3 takeaways and the Redskins only have 2.

While I am not saying our defense is great or anything, I am just pointing out that the statistics clearly show they are not the worst defense, and I would not consider them one of the eight worst defenses in the league. The turnovers and sacks are definitely an issue that need to be addressed, but for the most part the defense has held up, especially considering the positions that offense has put them in many times.
Yes, but they never give the offense field position. Its uncanny how the statistics don't show what's happening on the field of play. We stop other teams when they get near the red zone or they score. The end result is we do not have any kind of field position to start are offense from. When we try to pin the other team inside of their 20 we don't do so and eventually we are in bad field position when we get the ball back. This defense is as much or more of a problem than the offense.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #25
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

NO TURNOVERS ! This 3-4 is noted for blitzs coming from all angles . This forces mistakes (turnovers) . The good teams usually have a good turnover ratio the bad teams have a bad ratio .
I consider special teams to be in this conversation ... blocked punts , blocked kicks , punt returns , kickoff returns where do we rank in these .
Old 10-14-2005   #26
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
NO TURNOVERS ! This 3-4 is noted for blitzs coming from all angles . This forces mistakes (turnovers) . The good teams usually have a good turnover ratio the bad teams have a bad ratio .
I consider special teams to be in this conversation ... blocked punts , blocked kicks , punt returns , kickoff returns where do we rank in these .
I won't disagree with you on this side, except to say that Mathis was projected to be a big part of the return game and injuries have been a problem. The primary focus in TC was on Swinton, but he was victum of the TC cut. The rest of the returners have been less than eye openers. PBuc has been a dud. Again its all in the coaching and personnel decisions made by the coaches.

You saw the same thing with the WR crew and the cuts that were made in TC. I favored Kasper for example and others would have liked Starling, Swinton or the young man from TEXAS. Anyway I believe all would have been better than Bradford. Bradford was learning how to run routes in this year's TC. Uh, shouldn't he have learned that before this year. I don't think I will ever understand how this group of coaches thinks............
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #27
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its tradition here the Oilers cut Steve Tasker .
Old 10-14-2005   #28
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
Its tradition here the Oilers cut Steve Tasker .
But, but...didn't they pick up Jerry Gray after he was washed up? Didn't the Texans get THE Jermaine Lewis? Doesn't they count? [/sarcasm]

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read