Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-13-2005   #1
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Houston's Real Problem: Worst Defense in NFL

Thought this was an interesting take on our start this year. Fangio has sure proved what he is good at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballOutsiders.com
For all the whining about the offensive line, Houston's real problem is that they have the worst defense in the NFL. They have given up 7.65 net yards per pass attempt, which puts them in a virtual tie with San Francisco (7.66) at the bottom of the league. But the 49ers have 15 sacks and four interceptions. The Texans are last in the league with four sacks and zero interceptions.
FOX Sports Power Rankings

EDIT: Added quote tags to ensure nobody thinks I'm claiming the statement as mine.

Last edited by Exascor; 10-13-2005 at 07:41 AM.
Exascor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #2
profan
Veteran

I agee with you 100%. The Defense deserves to get just as much blame as the offensive line.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #3
William.carter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by profan
I agee with you 100%. The Defense deserves to get just as much blame as the offensive line.
At least for the defense it's not a lack of talent. They have the athletes. I can only assume that the play calling on the defensive side is lacking. I haven't seen the aggression yet. They seem to be content with attempting to prevent big plays rather than pressuring the opposing QB. 3 man rush isn't getting it done. We have to get more aggressive on D. Maybe they are waiting for the O to start producing before they start opening themselves up to big plays on D. I'm at a total loss about it all at this point.
William.carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #4
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by William.carter
At least for the defense it's not a lack of talent. They have the athletes. I can only assume that the play calling on the defensive side is lacking. I haven't seen the aggression yet. They seem to be content with attempting to prevent big plays rather than pressuring the opposing QB. 3 man rush isn't getting it done. We have to get more aggressive on D. Maybe they are waiting for the O to start producing before they start opening themselves up to big plays on D. I'm at a total loss about it all at this point.

Makes sense. Allowing big plays against your D would put the O under even more pressure, IMO something that we do NOT need right now
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #5
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor
Thought this was an interesting take on our start this year. Fangio has sure proved what he is good at.

"For all the whining about the offensive line, Houston's real problem is that they have the worst defense in the NFL. They have given up 7.65 net yards per pass attempt, which puts them in a virtual tie with San Francisco (7.66) at the bottom of the league. But the 49ers have 15 sacks and four interceptions. The Texans are last in the league with four sacks and zero interceptions."

FOX Sports Power Rankings
Their real problem is indeed the OL. The defense has made some stops during the season. Just think what the first game of the season would have been like if the defense was as porous as the OL. And for a good part of the Tennessee game, the defense kept the Texans in it as the score was just 10-9. The defense held Cincy to under 20 points. True, they have no takeaways -- real bad stat. And I wouldn't say the defense was even good. But they have had their moments, and you could say it was at least close to being mediocre -- a claim you certainly can't make for the OL.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #6
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Now would be the time to be aggressive and try to make some plays to take pressure off of the offense. Sitting back and letting teams get big chunks of yards has been proven to be an unsuccessful formula to this point.

Look at the game against Pittsburgh in '02. True, the offensive was better than it is now, but the defense forced the issue and won that game.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #7
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Our defense has given up so many long, sustained drives. I bet we have given up close to as many 6-minute-plus drives as we have 3-and-outs.
Old 10-13-2005   #8
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

If you have read my posts you will notice I have been talking about the long sustained drives by the opposition in the 1st Qtr with resulting scores for some time. We are always in the hole at the beginning of the game putting pressure on the offense. I too have said the offense does not get enough opportunities while the other team is getting in rythm and moving the ball. I've also said I believe one of the problems with our offense is that it looks good going against our defense in practice which has lead to the misconception that we are improving. No, its a much bigger problem than most think and that is even more reason for firing Capers because he's suppose to know what he is doing with his defense. Casserly has been granting his every wish on defense for the last two years.

Against Buffalo the time of possession in the 1st qtr was out rageous and Loseman got into rythm. What has he done sense. In most games its a chess game going back and forth gaining field position. I believe one of the posts in another thread was pointing out we seldom get the ball in the other teams half of the field. If you are always starting at your 10, 20, and 30 yard lines you are going to find it hard to score. Long sustained drives are just not that numerous in most NFL games. Its a break here or there which results typically in a score. We can not pin the other team back on their goal line and get the ball back. We are constantly moving backwards from a field position point of view. That is not a road to success.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #9
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

You are likely correct. Fangio's 3-4/Cover 2 scheme is not going to work in the NFL. It sends a mix message to your defense and makes them think to much. As a former defensive player, you run alot on instinct and that is how you make plays. Most plays are made on aggressive "chancey" plays. The 3-4 is a defensive scheme that was built on the idea of getting pressure. Until we drop the Cover 2 crap we will continue to give our offense the fewest amount of drives in the league.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The worst defense in the NFL going up against the no. 1 offense in the NFL.

Honestly, as much as I subscribe to the "any given Sunday" philosophy, I'm not having warm, fuzzy feelings about Sunday night.

Coach Capers' strength is supposed to be defense. Surely this is a sign that something is terribly wrong inside the collective psyche of the team.

The idea of a 3-4/Cover 2 seems incredibly asinine, IMO. You drop back into soft coverage with only three DL, which allows the opposing team to run the ball with relative ease. This, in turn, forces our D to respect the run, and with soft coverage, those dinky passes are eating us alive.

Like Ibar Harry mentioned, we are getting killed with opening drives, which always seem to be a mix of runs and short passes. The Titans had a 10 minute opening drive against us! Talk about establishing a tone for the game. This cannot continue if we ever expect to win a game this year.
Old 10-13-2005   #11
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

While I do think the defense is as much to blame as the offense, I'm in no way saying that it's worse. This was a total team meltdown IMO. The quote was from the FOX Sports power rankings.

Just a clarification.
Old 10-13-2005   #12
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 18146 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Even with the points the offense has put up this season, if we had a crushing defense we probably would have won a couple of games.
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #13
seahawk2k
Rookie

I don't think you guys really have the worst defense in the NFL, I can't really imagine a defense looking any worse than the one the Seahawks shredded Sunday. They really should have scored 50 on the Rams.
The more and more I read, the worse it looks for you guys. Although I'm starting to see a swing in mood that usually starts about wednesday after a loss. I'm starting to see a little optimism from some posters, which is good.
But, earlier on this thread it stated the Texans always give up a big drive to start the game. Ever since Holmgren has been here, whether it's been Jon Kitna, Trent Dilfer or Hasslebeck at qb, they almost always score. When they don't they go three and out. If they get past midfield, they will score, cause then they are rolling.
seahawk2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #14
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
You are likely correct. Fangio's 3-4/Cover 2 scheme is not going to work in the NFL. It sends a mix message to your defense and makes them think to much. As a former defensive player, you run alot on instinct and that is how you make plays. Most plays are made on aggressive "chancey" plays. The 3-4 is a defensive scheme that was built on the idea of getting pressure. Until we drop the Cover 2 crap we will continue to give our offense the fewest amount of drives in the league.
coach i dont think i've found a post of yours that i havent agreed with yet, quit it lol. the word in there that stands out to me is "instinct". most notably from our OLB's, there seems to be confusion and hesitation on 90% of the plays. this is because they have to read & react to the play as it unfolds as opposed to knowing what their assignment is before the snap and relying on football instinct to do the job. it's something i've said before, watch the OLB's as a perfect example of why we're hurting. when the ball is snapped the first thing they do is .... NOTHING. they wait to see the play, if it's one where they're supposed to rush, the linemen have 2 steps to setup and at that point there's nowhere to blitz except for right at someone. in coverage, they still initially do nothing and then drop back into a zone that's not covering anyone because receivers are already 1/2 way through their routes so they're just sitting in space.
Old 10-13-2005   #15
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

It's simple. Our D has the talent doesnt apply it. Our Offensive line doesnt have the talent so therefore cant apply it. Whos more to blame? A few players on the D like Dunta are exempt from the non-apply theory of mine.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Our defense has given up so many long, sustained drives. I bet we have given up close to as many 6-minute-plus drives as we have 3-and-outs.
I didn't go by time of possession, but the Texans have allowed 14 drives of 50+ yards after 4 games. While stopping the opposition 3-&-out by a total of 10.

The Texans offense has sustained 7 drives of 50+ yards and have been stopped 3-&-out on 14 occasions. Including 4 instances when the Texans punted while down by 2 or more scores.

It's bad anyway you look at it.
Old 10-13-2005   #17
SESupergenius

Oh make no mistake about it, the Defense can and should be able to win us games. You don't get turnovers you don't get those easy FG points. Our kicker has made 5 FG this year, 5!!!!!! in four games. Our defense should be getting us some points, but how many points have we gotten over defensive turnovers? 0. Our defense is just not doing it. we have guys playing out of position and some are pretty raw. Wong (not to single him out) needs to be where Babin is, on the outside. When we had Wong, Walker, Sharper, Glenn we have one of the best left sides in football. Now I'm a believer in Babin and think that his poor play was a direct result of his shoulder injury. Wong just seems to be better on the outside, LOLB or ROLB. We've proven that it wasn't Sharpers fault because our defense is worse without him. Greenwood is getting lit up right now and is taking time to adjust. Peek needs to be getting the QB, he's almost there, but not yet. I knew it would take some time for this unit to play together because of so many transitions. Our CB's scare me. Dunta has had good games and has the fire, but he needs to pass that on now. He's our best CB and he's playing mostly the weaker WR. Our safety play is pretty bad right now it's pretty obvious they are getting burnt in the pass coverages. I suspect they will start coming around now, but for the most part this was expected.
Old 10-14-2005   #18
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by William.carter

I totally disagree. I think the offense is only 2-3 players away from being in the top 1/3 of the league. A better TE and two OLmen and we're there. Also, it would help if our better players could crack the starting lineup.

Defensively, outside of DRob, our only plus players are our veterans: Wong, Payne... Robaire Smith is adequate and that's it. Defensively, we are in bad shape. We spent a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd on defense this year... unfortunately that netted us Buchanan and Travis Johnson.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
I think the offense is only 2-3 players away from being in the top 1/3 of the league.
Sorry Murph, but I gotta totally disagree with you because I think our offense
has only 2-3 players of the starting 11 "who aren't inferior" at their respective
positions compared to the league average.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #20
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I definitely disagree that we have the worst defense in the NFL. Let's look at some of the stats so far this season:

25th in total yards allowed per game (346.2) - definitely not good but much
better than the 451.8 that the 49ers are giving up.
27th in yards per play (5.7) - also not good but obviously not the worst.
8th in 3rd down percentage (32.6%) - in the top 1/4 in the league in this
statistic.
31st in time of possession allowed, but that is as much the offense's fault as
the defense's.
29th in completion percentage allowed (68.4%) - also definitely not good, but
once again the same teams are below us.
23rd in passing yards allowed per game (227.5) - not good but definitely not
the worst in the league (SF at 343.6)
26th in rushing yards allowed (118.8), but 13th in yards per rush (3.8) and
we are one of three teams (Tampa Bay and New England) to not allow a
single run of over 20 yards this season. Teams get so many rushing yards
cause they have been up late in games and are trying to run out the
clock. Parker of Pittsburgh only had like 70 yards midway through the 4th.
20th in passing yards allowed (230.0) and tied for 4th fewest 20+ yard
passing plays allowed.

We are one of only four teams to allow more FGs than TDs, which is saying something too.
While we do only have four sacks in four games, which I admit is pretty pathetic, the Redskins also have four sacks in four games and the Panthers have five sacks in five games, so we are not the only team averaging 1.0 sack per game, and I don't think many people consider the Redskins or Panthers defenses bad. The turnovers issue is definitely dissapointing too, although the Ravens and Patriots, two of the top defenses, only have 3 takeaways and the Redskins only have 2.

While I am not saying our defense is great or anything, I am just pointing out that the statistics clearly show they are not the worst defense, and I would not consider them one of the eight worst defenses in the league. The turnovers and sacks are definitely an issue that need to be addressed, but for the most part the defense has held up, especially considering the positions that offense has put them in many times.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read