Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-12-2005   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hodgdon on his opportuntiy to start in Seattle game

"The true wild card in this proposed shuffle is at center, where fifth-round draft pick Drew Hodgdon steps in. Hodgdon hasnít even been active for any of Houstonís four games this season, but the coaching staff liked his intensity in training camp.
"It's one of those things you can take one of two ways," Hodgdon said. "I can look at it as we've had some issues so far this season offensively, and theyíre looking for a solution. Obviously, the best way to get thrown in there is when your team is doing well and you've just proven that youíre the best guy out there on the field. That would be ideal. But just like any rookie, Im not going to complain when I have a chance to go out there and show what I can do and prove to them that they made the right decision when they drafted me."
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ne...php?PRKey=2053
They obviously like Hodgdon - first week of regular season he's activated and
he becomes a starter. Maybe its just a desire to get some new blood, anybody, into the lineup.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #2
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Give him a shot. He can't be any worse than McKinney!
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I really hope that this kid can shake things up.
Old 10-12-2005   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I'm worried about Hogdon

I feel like we are going to see a messy first game for this kid. A 5th round draft choice that was not even activated for the first four games is now our starting center. He will be consistently going up against Rocky Bernard who is very aggressive and who already has something like 4 sacks. Tubbs isnt bad either. Anyway, do you think he has what it takes?
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #5
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

It cant get much worse, I think any change can only be for the better.
Old 10-12-2005   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

seems risky to me. if they had been getting him game time snaps and developing him it would make more sense, but just throwing him into the fire strikes me of grasping at straws
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #7
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
seems risky to me. if they had been getting him game time snaps and developing him it would make more sense, but just throwing him into the fire strikes me of grasping at straws
As opposed to keeping the consitency offerd by the current line and giving them more time to "gel".

Worth a try
Old 10-12-2005   #8
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 11712 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Agree - while it may not be the bet for him to come into a situation like this, it's a good chance to prove his worth, as well as, see if we need to be looking for another center in the next draft.

You take the chances given you. Hogdon - make McKinney stay at guard.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

While at Arizona State last year, Hodgdon played against big time USC stars and high draft picks tackles Cody & Patterson and matched up very well, so he can play against talent. Granted that's not the NFL, but here's his chance
(and ours) to find out if he can take the next step to that level.
He's versatle to, he can play center or guard and could then be a replacement for either McKinney or Weigert who are older, higher cap vets.
This is the perfect opportunity to test and develope our young talent, may not be too much else we accomplish this season.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #10
seahawk2k
Rookie

Bernard is streaky, he always gets his sacks early in the year and disappears toward the latter half of the season. Tubbs hasn't been doing much lately either, although he's a big body and tough to move out of the middle.
Chuck Darby is the guy he should be most concerned about. Who?!?! you ask, yeah, I don't know where he came from, but he's an animal.
seahawk2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #11
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Everybody has a good day rushing the passer against the Texans, this Sunday will be no different. I'll be watching Hogdon though, people say change just for change's sake is worthless, but I don't think it could possibly get worse so we really have nothing to lose. Go Hogdon!
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #12
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, we're on pace for 30 more sacks than year one when Herndon was starting at LT... I really don't think any move made can actually have a negative effect on the pass protection... Though, I perhaps am underestimating Capers/Casserly on their ability to pull exactly the wrong strings.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

this is another example that the Texans are lost when it comes to their offensive line woes. If I'm not mistaken Hodgdon had training camp & pre season to showcase his abilities, did he shine there? not exactly. Then he has'nt seen any playing action sense, now your going to insert him into the lineup with multiple changes ongoing with a beaten up QB, don't forget about snap counts, hand-offs and false starts besides getting blown off the line & beaten by a blitz. I'm sorry but this is a bad situation made worse. The only positive is Pitts gets a shot once again at LT.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I find it interesting that this is a player they didn't think was good enough to dress the first 4 games and now we will not only dress him...but start him. The Texans coaching staff continues to mystify.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
The Texans coaching staff continues to mystify.
If this continues we really are going to have to get Khari to make a smilie of a drunken pack of monkeys fornicating a football.

Nothing against Hodgden but we have an example of 1st to worst in Wand and worst to 1st in Hodgden. And lord knows what is going to happen with the $10 mil cap led zeppelin. I guess he can hold down the right end of the gatorade table and make a path for DD to get onto the field.
Old 10-12-2005   #16
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 711 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I think this just all comes down to Riley being terrible. The strange thing is that they didn't give Wand the shot at LT.

Anyway, back to my first point - If Riley is gone, and no Wand, then our next best option is Pitts. Well, if Pitts is shuffled, Brown and Weary really haven't proven anything in pass protection, so we have to put McKinney in there since he has experience. Then, when McKinney is gone, we've seen the great pass protection of Washington so hell, just throw the rookie in there. I don't see the coaches actually thinking this will be a better line, considering all their experiments in TC didn't yield this to begin the season. Capers is desperate.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
If this continues we really are going to have to get Khari to make a smilie of a drunken pack of monkeys fornicating a football.

Nothing against Hodgden but we have an example of 1st to worst in Wand and worst to 1st in Hodgden. And lord knows what is going to happen with the $10 mil cap led zeppelin. I guess he can hold down the right end of the gatorade table and make a path for DD to get onto the field.
The week before National TV we go into Chinese fire drill mode on the offensive line and make 4 position changes....this may be even more brutal than we think Sunday night.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #18
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 711 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak

I took some shots down the hall during the 'stros game, so maybe I'm not thinking straight - but my first post in this thread was after yours. Just trying to figure it out...

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
The week before National TV we go into Chinese fire drill mode on the offensive line and make 4 position changes....this may be even more brutal than we think Sunday night.
No this is showing great wisdom in giving this new line 1 week of seasoning up against the #5 pass rush before they go up against the #1 pass rush. Carr would not be insane to hope Ric from hpf gets his wish and they bench him for Banks or Ragone--this could be brutal.
Old 10-12-2005   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
I took some shots down the hall during the 'stros game, so maybe I'm not thinking straight - but my first post in this thread was after yours. Just trying to figure it out...
Sorry, saw you posted in that same time frame. It was a bigger version of a lead balloon reference/joke--not one directed at you.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read