Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-11-2005   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who are our scouts?

How much of our talent problem is the result of poor scouting?
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

"WE GET SCOUTS?"

signed
Charlie Casserly
Old 10-11-2005   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Scouting is an art, but yet over hyped in my opinion. I'll spend more on one asst coach who is a master at developing a player than on a hot shot scouting department. The idea is that anyone in the pros should have some talent it just depends how you mold and shape it.
Old 10-11-2005   #4
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

can we get both? i think as far behind as we are we need both.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

It doesn't matter if you have scouts when you just draft the guys the coaches like at the Sr bowl....ugh.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #6
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

A friend of mine is actually the pro scout for the texans (rob kisiel), and from all he has told me and i have seen, they have one of the best scouting departments there is.....its alll coaching friends, all coaching

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #7
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

last i heard.. we employed one of the largest scouting teams in the league.. if not THE largest.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2005   #8
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
It doesn't matter if you have scouts when you just draft the guys the coaches like at the Sr bowl....ugh.
That's it, right there: Failure to accept expert input at crucial times when it comes to talent. Look, someone on the scouting staff found CC Brown, and someone found Jerome Mathis, and all the other talent Houston picked up from small schools over the past couple of years. It's not like Capers spends his week watching game film from every single NCAA school (must...avoid...making...obvious....quip.....) searching for talent. But when he apparently overrides those scouts in favor of players found in one-time meetings at unrealistic all-star games, I think he's missing out on what he trusts the scouts to do.

That said, if those guys had turned out to be studs and this team was winning, he'd be labeled a genius with an eye for talent. No risk of that now.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
A friend of mine is actually the pro scout for the texans (rob kisiel), and from all he has told me and i have seen, they have one of the best scouting departments there is.....its alll coaching friends, all coaching
Sounds to me like your saying they have the players your friend wanted them to get, meaning that, "....it's all coaching, friends." I hope so, because I believe at some point we will still have Casserly, but Capers will be gone.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #10
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
Well, of course, he is not going to admit "My department and I are mediocore at best at our jobs."
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

If the scouting department is split between pro and college, the pro side has done an awful job, in tandem with our bean counters, to date - Wade, PBuch, Greenwood, Riley. Robaire is not where I thought he would be, but I still like what he can bring to the table.
Old 10-12-2005   #12
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
If the scouting department is split between pro and college, the pro side has done an awful job, in tandem with our bean counters, to date - Wade, PBuch, Greenwood, Riley. Robaire is not where I thought he would be, but I still like what he can bring to the table.
IMO Robaire looks like he is starting to come along this season and Greenwood looks to me like he is improving.
Old 10-12-2005   #13
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
IMO Robaire looks like he is starting to come along this season and Greenwood looks to me like he is improving.
That's the problem.... these players should not be "coming along" or "improving" at this point in their careers.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #14
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans had the 3rd highest total payroll of any team in 2004. Not sure where they rank in 2005, but it's probably very close to the top. It looks like they have 15 scouts... Texans Front Office
Old 10-12-2005   #15
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
That's the problem.... these players should not be "coming along" or "improving" at this point in their careers.
Robaire came in from a 4-3, and Greenwood is probably still learning as well.
Old 10-12-2005   #16
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Robaire came in from a 4-3, and Greenwood is probably still learning as well.
Well, this is Robaire's 2nd year with the team. If it has taken him 28 games to finally "come along" that is an issue.
Old 10-12-2005   #17
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well, this is Robaire's 2nd year with the team. If it has taken him 28 games to finally "come along" that is an issue.
Probably an issue with the coaching...
Old 10-12-2005   #18
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Probably an issue with the coaching...
Without a doubt...
Old 10-12-2005   #19
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Without a doubt...
And the more I think about it the more it irks me...We have talent on this team and it's going to waste, not just AJ and Carr, but DRob, Robaire, Peek, Babin, I could go on and on. If I was DRob I would have almost been insulted having to cover the #2 WR in TJ when we played the Bengals. He should be going one on one with the best WR's in the league. The scemes and playcalling here is horrible.
Old 10-12-2005   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If you take a look around at other NFL teams, they seem to get good production out of young, relatively unknown players, particularly on the O-line. We don't. Couple that with the players that have left here and performed well on other teams (Foley, McCree, Wright, maybe more) and I just can't see how the coaching isn't responsible for that, to a large degree. In order to be a winning team, you have to get solid production from guys that are not Pro Bowlers. The Colts are starting two 2nd-year offensive linemen and keeping Manning clean. The Chargers are starting three guys on the O-line in the 3rd year or less and doing a pretty good job. The Browns are starting a 3rd year center that's doing a good job and Trent Dilfer is looking decent. The Bengals have completely reshuffled the middle of their line after losing both Centers and with people playing out of position, doing fine. Our youngest starter is in his 4th year (Pitts, unless I'm missing someone) and we're getting poor production from all of them. And Pitts is still our best lineman. I have a hard time believing that we've missed on talent evaluation that many times.

Also on the coaching department, and I wasn't aware of this until this AM, the Texans had Clark Haggins in here for a workout and declined to work out a deal with him. He's doing quite well for the Steelers now.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read