Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-03-2004   #61
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08
Exclamation Buyer Beware-----ESPN NFL 2K5

If your a big fan of the franchise mode in football video game titles.....ESPN 2K5 is not for you!

When you finish your first season and commence your second season you'll find out that you play the exact same teams as you did the first season and will be like that for the life of the franchise. This season the Texans play the NFC North for the NFC division along with other AFC teams.......by season 2, 3, 4th and so on....you'll be playing the same NFC North division and the same AFC teams as the first season on ESPN.

This is the biggest glitch and I will be taking it Gamestop to get $15 credit towards Madden. This is the straw that broke the camel's back IMO. There were other glitches like the clipping penalty knocking off negative yardage on rushing and the DBs running toward the line of scrimmage then trying to keep up with the reciever and such but those I tried overlooking. This franchise glitch is inevitably hard to avoid.

Just giving you guys the heads up...

Last edited by SBTexans08; 08-03-2004 at 11:39 AM.
SBTexans08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004   #62
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Are you sure about that one? I went through the playoffs as well, but it only listed previous injuries that occured to players on non-playoff teams during the regular season. It is odd how they don't show 'great play' clips during the post season SportsCenters. Just a quick show of the score and some stats. Then the injuries and thats it.

Maybe that's what it was. But they way they present it makes it sound like it was big news. Why do we care that a guy who is on a team not in the playoffs and was injured three weeks ago is STILL out for the season.

And showing no highlights in the playoffs was pretty strange.

As far as the schedule the second season and beyond, I think I'm pretty much burned out on it now. I doubt I'll play much more of it for a while and I won't be getting Madden. It's time for real football.

Although I did record my Super Bowl game...does that make me a geek or what?
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004   #63
dmt217
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTexans08
If your a big fan of the franchise mode in football video game titles.....ESPN 2K5 is not for you!

When you finish your first season and commence your second season you'll find out that you play the exact same teams as you did the first season and will be like that for the life of the franchise. This season the Texans play the NFC North for the NFC division along with other AFC teams.......by season 2, 3, 4th and so on....you'll be playing the same NFC North division and the same AFC teams as the first season on ESPN.

This is the biggest glitch and I will be taking it Gamestop to get $15 credit towards Madden. This is the straw that broke the camel's back IMO. There were other glitches like the clipping penalty knocking off negative yardage on rushing and the DBs running toward the line of scrimmage then trying to keep up with the reciever and such but those I tried overlooking. This franchise glitch is inevitably hard to avoid.

Just giving you guys the heads up...
That sucks. Oh well, I've always preferred NCAA draft classes over the random generated ones. I guess I'll just play 1 season w/ other teams. Also, what's up w/ the random preseason games during the 1st season? Your opponents don't even sub out the starters after the 1st or 2nd quarter...

Anyway, the rosters are also messed up...
Norris is not even on the team, Baxter has a higher rating, Coleman is listed as a CB (plus, he should be faster than a 78), Lord at HB, Hollings slower than Wells, Armstrong is not in the game
Man, I hope they fix this on the next roster update.
dmt217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004   #64
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, having to sub in coleman to FS and robinson to CB is annoying.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004   #65
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Played my 1st game online with it today with the Texans and beat the Steelers 23 - 14. ESPN has impressed me so far, it has it's share of errors but none of them are game killers for me. The most important thing to me is that it's gameplay not only looks fantastic, but also seems to be the most realistic sim I've ever played.

I may still buy Madden this year, but after watching a vid of the 40 minute online game it still appears to have many of the gameplay issues that have plagued it the last three editions that I've played. QB's look like they can still drop back 20 yards and fire dead accurate passes at a high velocity, mario running is still bogging down the running game, and you still can't run the ball to the outside. I'd personally much rather have out of game issues than in game issues.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004   #66
blockhead83
All Pro

Also, DC ROCK, I read that you can make the substitution of Coleman to FS under formations, and then save the rosters after the game and the change is permanent. Not sure how that works though since when I try to make a safety substitution Coleman isn't listed as one of the possible players that I can sub in
Old 08-03-2004   #67
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:

I don't have that problem at all. I am in my second season, and I'm facing NFC West opponents at the moment. I faced NFC North opponents my first season, and the Texans faced the NFC East last year and the NFC South their innaugural year. So it seems to be playing out fine on my system. Not so sure it's a glitch in all games as you suspect. Not sure why yours does it and mine doesn't.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2004   #68
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83
Also, DC ROCK, I read that you can make the substitution of Coleman to FS under formations, and then save the rosters after the game and the change is permanent. Not sure how that works though since when I try to make a safety substitution Coleman isn't listed as one of the possible players that I can sub in
Well right now I am in franchise mode. And I dont believe you can save the subs in that mode. I think they will get an update for it though. Maybe they will put Marcus in the FS category.

All in all I love the game. The gameplay is second to none. The rest of the game, such as trades/draft/FA signing is not perfect. But then again, its a video game. Not a human. It has some flaws. But so will everygame.

I play ESPN for the gameplay, not the little extras. If you want to change the price of hotdogs, then go play madden.
Old 08-03-2004   #69
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83
and you still can't run the ball to the outside.
still cant? what you mean is YOU still cant... ive never had a problem running to the outside. then again, i also know who is an outside runner and who isnt.
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004   #70
Ihategeeks
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Ihategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of FamerIhategeeks is a Hall of Famer
Default Guys I have something you'll enjoy

This will help some of the begginers to pass in this game. It doesn't cover everything, like the ratings systems in relation to difficulty of the pass ect.
But it is a good read.

http://dynamic6.gamespy.com/~nfl2kx/zone_guide.php
Ihategeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004   #71
dmt217
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
I play ESPN for the gameplay, not the little extras. If you want to change the price of hotdogs, then go play madden.
This is 1 thing that I can live w/o in Madden (Owner Mode). Of course, you can turn it off b/f you start your franchise...

Anyway, ESPN's Weekly Prep schedule is good, but I'd rather play Madden's training camp drills (mini-games > menu navigating). I wish they included it during the season though.
dmt217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004   #72
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourge
still cant? what you mean is YOU still cant... ive never had a problem running to the outside. then again, i also know who is an outside runner and who isnt.

I agree. You need to know who can run inside plays, and who can run outside plays. And Make sure they arent overloading the side you run to. You CAN run to the outside.
Old 08-04-2004   #73
blockhead83
All Pro

I'm just stating what a guy at maddenwishlist.com who has a copy of Madden 2005 has said about it. I've always had problems in madden since the 2003 edition running sweeps, even with outside runners. Must just be me and the madden reviewer....
Old 08-04-2004   #74
Blake
MMQB

oh my bad. Just stick with ESPN. Madden will be the same ol same ol. IMO
Old 08-04-2004   #75
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
I don't have that problem at all. I am in my second season, and I'm facing NFC West opponents at the moment. I faced NFC North opponents my first season, and the Texans faced the NFC East last year and the NFC South their innaugural year. So it seems to be playing out fine on my system. Not so sure it's a glitch in all games as you suspect. Not sure why yours does it and mine doesn't.
Okay, yeah I made a mistake...the division changes back and forth in only two divisions...

Right now you face the NFC West.
Next season it's going to be NFC North all over again. ('05 season)
After that season you're back at playing the NFC West. ('06 season)
Then back at the NFC North. ('07 season) I simed 5 season and this is what happened.
Old 08-04-2004   #76
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Okay, yeah I made a mistake...the division changes back and forth in only two divisions...

Right now you face the NFC West.
Next season it's going to be NFC North all over again. ('05 season)
After that season you're back at playing the NFC West. ('06 season)
Then back at the NFC North. ('07 season) I simed 5 season and this is what happened.
Well I am halfway through playing my second season, and I'll let you know how it plays out when I'm done. Perhaps since you simulated it that might be the cause of the error. No problems so far though.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004   #77
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

The game is pretty good, except for a few noted roster errors...I normally don't buy ESPN games, but I figured $12 (after employee discount) is definately hard to beat...I may still pick up Madden when it drops...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004   #78
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I played the game over at a freinds house. I didn't like the way it took forever when intercepting a ball to get going the other direction. I didn't like how bad the Texans OL was. To me the graphics were nat all that perfect, but thats my opinion. I know Madden is not perfect, but neither is this game. the major difference at the moment is price. I am not as hyped about paying 49 for madden but I can wait a month for the $39 madden.
Old 08-06-2004   #79
Blake
MMQB

Word to the wise. Sub in Earl for Brown at safety. Earl is a playmaker. Hes the new Ed Reed. Brown just wasnt getting the job done. And when he got injured I got to see Earl knockin heads.
Old 08-06-2004   #80
Blake
MMQB

I'll be on later. Gamer Tag = Mazzer. What time you wanna game?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read