Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-10-2005   #1
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Question Who is safe?

Judging from the team horrible preformance the past 4 games and predicably the next 12 games, out of any of our starters who will be here for next year?

QB: David Carr
RB: Domanick Davis
FB: Moran Norris
WR: Andre Johnson
WR: Jabar Gaffney/Jerome Mathis
TE:
LT:
LG: Chester Pitts
C:
RG:
RT: Todd Wade

LE: Travis Johnson
NT: Seth Payne
RE: Robaire Smith
OLB:
ILB: Kailee Wong
ILB: Morlon Greenwood
OLB:
CB: Dunta Robinson
FS: Marcus Coleman
SS: CC Brown
CB:

I assume that since this team has shown it is not afraid to drop aging players who don't play up to their contracts, Zach Wiegert and Gary Walker will be shown the door. The TE position has been a disaster for a long time and someone will pay for that. McKinney will be dropped since it seems that the national media and hopefully some in the front office have relized that he was an average guard for the Colts and a below average center here. Peek is on the last year of his rookie contract and might not be resignned and Babins remains a a ? since he was okay as a rookie and injured this year. And since P Buc hasn't reclaimed his starting position, his future is in serious doubt with the texans.
Old 10-10-2005   #2
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

As far as I am concerned, Dunta is the only one who gets an automatic invitation to training camp, but I wouldn't go so far as call it a SAFE starting job.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta is the starter, no doubt.

Faggins may be struggling but I know he will still be here next season.. just probably in a nickle role again.

Morlon Greenwood will be here cause of his contract, not his play on the field.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #4
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Safe: Robinson, Andre Johnson, Davis, Greenwood, Wong, Pitts, Smith, Norris, Gaffney, Mathis, Travis Johnson, Morancy, Hogdon, Earl, C.C. Brown, Ragone, Orr

On the bubble: Carr, Peek, Babin, Wand, Wade, McKinney, Payne, Coleman, Faggins, Weigert, Banks, Washington, DeLoach, Ionae

Gone: Riley, Buchanon, Capers, Casserly, Fangio, Pendry, Milford Brown
Old 10-11-2005   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
Safe: Robinson, Andre Johnson, Davis, Greenwood, Wong, Pitts, Smith, Norris, Gaffney, Mathis, Travis Johnson, Morancy, Hogdon, Earl, C.C. Brown, Ragone, Orr

On the bubble: Carr, Peek, Babin, Wand, Wade, McKinney, Payne, Coleman, Faggins, Weigert, Banks, Washington, DeLoach, Ionae

Gone: Riley, Buchanon, Capers, Casserly, Fangio, Pendry, Milford Brown
After what we gave up for Buchanon, I doubt we get rid of him. If I am not mistaken this is the last year of his rookie contract. I doubt we just let him go though after giving up a 2nd and 3rd round pick for him. If they do, it would basically be the same as just throwing or giving away those picks...
Old 10-11-2005   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

This year and next year Buchanon is under contract for basically league minimum. That is a big, big consideration on the draft picks given.
Old 10-11-2005   #7
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man
Default C. C. Brown?

Why is everyone so satistified with Brown's performance. Several times in the last game alone (I know for sure a TD pass), he was out of position. I know he is fast and will come up and hit you, but I thought Earl was just as good if not better last year (and he was a rookie also). Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying to get rid of him, I just won't say he has guarranted his starting spot for next year.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2005   #8
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

For being a late round pick, I think he has gone above the expectations of many. He seems like a hard hitter who plays well against the run.
Old 10-11-2005   #9
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Safe: D. Robinson, A. Johnson, D. Davis, K. Wong, S. Payne, C. Stanley, K. Brown.

Staying because a valuable Rookie: C.C. Brown, J. Mathis, T Johnson, V. Morency.

Staying for contract/price we gave for them: J. Babin, P. Buchanon, R. Smith, M. Greenwood, T. Wade, G. Walker.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #10
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

after P Buc got benched, it looks like he could get his starter role back as well as an extended contract, if he keeps playing like he did against the bengals and titans.
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 218361 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

SAFE: Joppru

eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #12
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

well i heard it best from somewhere...

this offense needs an overhaul...and i wont go off and say that david carr needs to go just yet. i would like to see him regain his confidence knowing he is secure to actually throw a ball without moving. he has never really had a good offensive line, so then, if he still struggles to win games and perform under a good line, then we will know that it is him thats the problem. the only offensive lineman that i would keep are pitts and wade. by the way, hind sight is 20/20. i liked the travis johnson pick, but many of us were thinking that alex barron would be our choice. now i dont know how he is doing, but it seems like picking barron in the draft would probably have been better, seeing as how riley is a bust and johnson isnt playing much.
Old 10-11-2005   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I am going to disagree with a lot of you on this because I believe that a great many of these players are safe. I think that a staff with their full attention will get a much better response from them than the current one does today.

Look at our free agents for example. Yes of course we've let some guys who could help us walk out the door and we've made some really questionable moves at times. That doesn't change the fact that these guys right here have been good players for other teams in the past (even at times this team).

Steve McKinney
Kailee Wong
Zack Weigert
Todd Wade
Robaire Smith
Morlon Greenwood

Lets just look at these 6 guys for a second. None of them are dominating players. Weigert's getting up there admittedly but almost all of them are "relatively" young guys and all of them were considered good free agent signings at the time. They were all thought of as "solid" really.

McKinney isn't even close to being as good a center as he was a guard. Wong has done some good things for us but you can't dismiss the fact that he's now playing a new position. Yes he's played inside in a 4-3 but it's going to be different. He just spent three years learning to be an OLB here (and arguably had his best season last year). Weigert is a very good inside lineman and not at all known for the kind of performance this team puts out there on a regular basis. Robaire Smith was a young stud defensive lineman who was coming into his best years. Todd Wade was another solid signing. I heard that word again with Greenwood.

Were some of these guys overpaid? Oh yeah they were. Were any of them considered gamebreakers? No, not really and nor was there any illusion that they would be here. They were all solid players which was something this team lacked. Every team in the league is made up primarily of this same type of player. The stars are relatively few and far between. Many of the men filling out 53 man rosters in the NFL are "merely" good players. Different teams get different results from very similar collections of talent. What does our staff do with the very servicable talent that has been brought in here?

These 6 players didn't all of sudden get lousy. They all of a sudden came here.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read