Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-10-2005   #1
AlexVanderpool
Veteran

Default Who should be the Texans' Next Head Coach?

Jimmy Johnson - He has the demeanor and ability to immediately trim the fat and rebuild this team with solid draft picks. He would give the organization instant credibility with potential free agents and hopefully turn the ship around in 2 years.

Jerry Gray - excellent rising defensive coach who is a workhaulic with houston ties.

Gary Kubiak - offensive minded coach whose teams have not been stellar in the last few years.

Bob Stoops - excellent college coach, great x&o guy with the right attitude and demeanor. questions as to how he would translate to the pros.

Norm Chow - excellent offensive mind, but seems like a career coordinator.

Jim Johnson - Eagles D-Coordinator

Brad Childress - Eagles O-Coordinator

Monte Kiffin - Bucs D-Coordinator

Jim Fassel

Other

Last edited by AlexVanderpool; 10-10-2005 at 05:18 PM.
AlexVanderpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I vote for Kubiak, young, offensive minded, born and raised in Houston, he could do so much with the weapons we have on the offensive side of the ball. I doubt Norm Chow goes anywhere, he has only been with the tacks one season and besides the game on Sunday, the tacks offense hasn't done much. I don't see Jimmy Johnson coming back to the NFL, and if he did, I don't see him coming here.
Old 10-10-2005   #3
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexVanderpool
Jimmy Johnson - He has the demeanor and ability to immediately trim the fat and rebuild this team with solid draft picks. He would give the organization instant credibility with potential free agents and hopefully turn the ship around in 2 years.

Jerry Gray - excellent rising defensive coach who is a workhaulic with houston ties.

Gary Kubiak - offensive minded coach whose teams have not been stellar in the last few years.

Bob Stoops - excellent college coach, great x&o guy with the right attitude and demeanor. questions as to how he would translate to the pros.

Norm Chow - excellent offensive mind, but seems like a career coordinator.
None of the above.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #4
AlexVanderpool
Veteran

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8949934

Bad Carr accident in Houston

By Adam Schefter
Special to NFL.com

Adam Schefter's "Around the League" reports and commentaries can be seen regularly on NFL Total Access.

(Oct. 10, 2005) -- Nobody is being abused more, physically and mentally, than Texans quarterback David Carr. During his first three seasons, Carr has been sacked a preposterous 140 times. He even set the single-season sack record, being dropped 76 times in 2002.

Despite the constant sacking, David Carr has taken all but five snaps in the last two years.
But at the rate he's going this year, Carr is going to shatter any of those records and set all new ones himself. This season, Carr has been sacked 27 times, putting him on pace to be sacked a ridiculous 108 times, what would easily be the NFL single-season record.

So much of the Texans problems come back to their problems in protecting the passer. But those problems go back to the offseason, when the Texans did what they could to acquire a left tackle -- see meeting: Pace, Orlando -- but failed to land one.

Count on this: Changes are coming to the Texans, just as surely as the franchise will be using its first-round pick on one of the marquee left tackles in this year's draft.

START THE SPECULATION
Before the Texans hired head coach Dom Capers, one of the men they interviewed for the job was Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak, who grew up and attended high school in Houston.

Speculation around the league is that, if the Texans decide to make a coaching change, Kubiak is going to be near the top of the list of candidates to succeed Capers.

Kubiak is a master at working with quarterbacks, and could be just the type of coach to help turn around Carr and the Texans offense. This season, very quietly, Kubiak has done a terrific job at limiting the mistakes that Denver quarterback Jake Plummer has made.

Once, Kubiak was one of the hottest head-coaching candidates in the league. Don't be surprised to see his name resurface this offseason, especially in connection to the Houston job.
AlexVanderpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #5
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

How about Brad Childress the OC of the Eagles? Then find a hot shot defensive co-ordinator.
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #6
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexVanderpool
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8949934

Bad Carr accident in Houston

By Adam Schefter
Special to NFL.com

Adam Schefter's "Around the League" reports and commentaries can be seen regularly on NFL Total Access.

(Oct. 10, 2005) -- Nobody is being abused more, physically and mentally, than Texans quarterback David Carr. During his first three seasons, Carr has been sacked a preposterous 140 times. He even set the single-season sack record, being dropped 76 times in 2002.

Despite the constant sacking, David Carr has taken all but five snaps in the last two years.
But at the rate he's going this year, Carr is going to shatter any of those records and set all new ones himself. This season, Carr has been sacked 27 times, putting him on pace to be sacked a ridiculous 108 times, what would easily be the NFL single-season record.

So much of the Texans problems come back to their problems in protecting the passer. But those problems go back to the offseason, when the Texans did what they could to acquire a left tackle -- see meeting: Pace, Orlando -- but failed to land one.

Count on this: Changes are coming to the Texans, just as surely as the franchise will be using its first-round pick on one of the marquee left tackles in this year's draft.

START THE SPECULATION
Before the Texans hired head coach Dom Capers, one of the men they interviewed for the job was Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak, who grew up and attended high school in Houston.

Speculation around the league is that, if the Texans decide to make a coaching change, Kubiak is going to be near the top of the list of candidates to succeed Capers.

Kubiak is a master at working with quarterbacks, and could be just the type of coach to help turn around Carr and the Texans offense. This season, very quietly, Kubiak has done a terrific job at limiting the mistakes that Denver quarterback Jake Plummer has made.

Once, Kubiak was one of the hottest head-coaching candidates in the league. Don't be surprised to see his name resurface this offseason, especially in connection to the Houston job.
Gives me a tingly feeling just thinking about Kubiak here...
Old 10-10-2005   #7
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Yepper . . . can see it right now.

Kubiak is hired, and Carr is instantly protected, and we get a pass rush as a bonus.

Simple.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-10-2005   #8
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim
Default Jimmy Johnson has my vote...

Kill 2 birds with 1 stone: Fire Capers & Casserly & hire JJ to do both. He's draft smart, a motivator, & the whole thing would eat Jerrah's lunch at the same time. I've been a JJ fan since he came to the girls & so hoped he'd get the nod over Capers. Just my miserable
Old 10-10-2005   #9
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Yepper . . . can see it right now.

Kubiak is hired, and Carr is instantly protected, and we get a pass rush as a bonus.

Simple.
Hey it's a start, look what he has done with the Bronco's O line and look at what he has done with Brian Griese, Steve Young, and Jake Plummer...
Old 10-10-2005   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251959 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be inclined to want to check with Jimmy Johnson first. I seriously doubt he would be interested in getting back into the grind but I don't see how a coaching search could honestly occur without at least a phone call in his direction. He basically is what the Texans are looking for and, I personally suspect he would still be contending for titles in Dallas to this day if he hadn't been working for Imhotep Jones.

A temp gig in Miami being "allowed" to hold the HC spot on Dan's team I don't hold against him. It's hard to take a team anywhere when "what they are" is already a given and you can't change it without getting the QB's ok first. That's speculative on my part but I'm not alone in thinking that.

I'd start with JJ and then, upon hearing that he wasn't interested I'd start looking at guys like Jerry Gray. Kubiak does not interest me. He's been a candidate for a very long time and for a lot of positions but he never gets the job. So many mediocre retreads keep getting jobs in the meantime that I have to wonder why Gary's never been given a chance.
Old 10-10-2005   #11
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So many mediocre retreads keep getting jobs in the meantime that I have to wonder why Gary's never been given a chance.
If I remember correctly, and I may be 110% wrong on this, he has been offered a couple of HC jobs in the last few seasons but turned them down because he wanted to stay in Denver.

Last edited by texan279; 10-10-2005 at 05:55 PM.
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #12
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

No matter who is hired, i would want Dick LeBeau as the DC if he can be signed away from Pittsburgh. He is a genius in the 3-4 and would make Peek the next Joey Porter, and allow Dunta to be in the pro bowl.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatikid
No matter who is hired, i would want Dick LeBeau as the DC if he can be signed away from Pittsburgh.
Doesn't the HC get to hire his own assistants ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #14
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

im saying if i was the HC i would want LeBeau. You wouldnt have ot make as many personel changes on defense because he would keep the 3-4 and he would know how to use it and exploit his talented players.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Chow wouldn't come here to be an OC under Kubiak....The Titans and the NFL would never allow that.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #16
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who should be the Texans' Next Head Coach?
I will apply the ABC principle to this one: Anyone But Capers...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #17
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
I will apply the ABC principle to this one: Anyone But Capers...
Could we get Jerry Glanville back? OK, I'll flag myself for saying that...
Old 10-10-2005   #18
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm in for JJ. I think he would be amazing here!
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #19
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

I have a feeling it will be Jimmy. I just noticed his pic on this site w/ McNair when they paid a visit to the Astrodome. That's what got me thinking :hmmm

It would be great if he was coaching the Texans to a victory over the Cowboys next season - just to piss Jerry off.
Old 10-10-2005   #20
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default Mark me down for JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFan
I have a feeling it will be Jimmy. I just noticed his pic on this site w/ McNair when they paid a visit to the Astrodome. That's what got me thinking :hmmm

It would be great if he was coaching the Texans to a victory over the Cowboys next season - just to piss Jerry off.
Yeah, lots of problems, and maybe he wouldn't do it, and maybe he's not EVERYTHING he was cracked up to be, but as a coach he's serious as a gun, he knows how to run a team, he knows how to build a team, and with McNair's support he would turn the team around quickest.

Jerry Gray and Kubiak may be possibilities, and there are plenty of others. Agree with whoever on Lebeau, the pitt genius (but wouldn't that be a lateral move? Assistant Head Coach, Defense might do it?
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read