Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What can Capers do to save himself?
Come back to have a repeat 7-9 season 1 4.17%
Post an even 8-8 record 4 16.67%
Post a winning 9-7 record 3 12.50%
10-6 or better and make the playoffs 3 12.50%
Win the Superbowl! 1 4.17%
He's gone by the end of the end of the year, no matter what 5 20.83%
Forget the end of the year, fire him and his lousy staff right now 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2005   #1
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83
Default What would be Capers saving grace?

Is his eventual firing a foregone conclusion, or in some miracle can he still save his job for one more season?
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #2
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

He's lost his players and he's lost the fans. If he's on the sidelines next season I really doubt they'll be selling out every game like they are now.

If the Texans can somehow go 9 and 3 through the final three quarters of the season then he has a chance. I really doubt we get to 3 wins this season though.
Old 10-10-2005   #3
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

If he took this team to the playoffs he'd survive. A .500 or winning record could keep him here. Anything else and I think he'll be gone. I think we'll end up at the low end of "anything else". Capers will not survive this.
Old 10-10-2005   #4
TigerV1
All Pro

Rep Power: 91 TigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Even a winning record won't keep him here. I think after what has transpired this last month, he will need to make the playoffs to survive this.

Its going to be tough since his own players don't want to play for him. Heck I wouldn't either. When you are down by alot, 6 minutes left to play, and its 4th and less than 1 you go for it, you don't punt. I've seen pee wee coaches make better decisions than he has.

TigerV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor
If he took this team to the playoffs he'd survive. A .500 or winning record could keep him here. Anything else and I think he'll be gone. I think we'll end up at the low end of "anything else". Capers will not survive this.
8-8 would almost certainly keep Capers here and frankly it probably should. To get there the Texans would have to go 8 and 4 on the rest of the season--that is a 10-11 win team if the 1st 4 games weren't botched. Coaches don't get fired from teams that look like they can win 10+ games unless they do it year after year and can't quite get to the SB. Now realistically it ain't going to happen so the real question is whether splitting the rest of the season would save his job--6 and 10--could be, but doubtful even that would save him.
Old 10-10-2005   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

He is as gone as the turds I flushed on Sunday afternoon.

It ain't a matter of "if," but rather a matter of "when."

To me, the best way to fire Capers would have been about 10 minutes after his postgame news conferences and/or locker room talk.

Losing to a VERY bad Titians team, at home, by a ton of points and with empty seats from the very start of the game should have been all that was needed for McNair to draw up the paperwork.

I honestly do not know why McNair lets this go on. How does he get to be a billionaire and allow Capers (one of his employees) to continue to be the head coach after 3 seasons of average performance and then a complete IMPLOSION in the fourth season?

To me, it just proves that a lot of our prior seasons of wins can be attributed to the heart of our players. But you can't pull out those tough wins forever, and at some point they just run out of gas. I think this is where our team is at. The "keep it close to the fourth quarter" mentality of Capers has just crushed the explosive spirit of Carr, AJ, and others like them.

Fire Capers, and fire him now. But what's really sad is that Capers is supposed to be a man of great character and class....and he should see that the best thing for the team and its fans is if he just steps down himself. But he isn't, and every game I see him on the sideline makes me lose a little more respect for Capers. Come on, man. DO THE RIGHT THING.

Thanks for getting us starting, Dommy. But just excuse yourself from the team and get in the broadcast booth.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #7
touttail
All Pro

How can the Texans possibly go 10-6. They would have to win their remaining 12 games???

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read