Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-10-2005   #1
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Question Draft Choice. Who do you want?

Post your top 3-5 picks.

#1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson OT Virginia
#2. Max Jean-Gilles OG Georgia
#3. Dominique Byrd TE Southern Cal
#3. Jason Avant WR Michigan

I would like to see some big time picks on the O-line, and a new TE, with another WR threat on the field.

If not Jason Avant, I would go with a linebacker like Abdul Hodge ILB Iowa.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #2
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

1) OT Marcus McNeill, Auburn
2) DE/OLB Darryl Tapp, Virginia Tech
3) CB Will Blackmon, Boston College
3) TE Jeff King, Virginia Tech

With Ferguson's injury I think that McNeill would be the safest option. Adding Tapp would give the defense a proven playmaker, who can rush the passer. Blackmon is a solid CB who will only get better under Hoke. And finally King is the TE who can catch and block the offense has been missing since year one.
Old 10-10-2005   #3
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

You've got the right idea there DC, because with the exception of Verand
Morency, everyone of our first day Draft picks over the last 2 years have
been for D players. So no matter how much help we might need on D, the
O side of the ball is much more desparate for help.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

1st rd. Reggie Bush, RB USC (if he declares?)

2nd rd. Andrew Whitworth, LT LSU

3rd rd. Donovan Raiola, C WIS

3rd rd. (aquired from N.O.) Charles Davis, TE Purdue
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #5
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

1. Mario Williams/Matthi Kiwi
2. Andrew Whitworth
3. Dom Byrd (USC TE)
3. Thomas Howard (UTEP LB)
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

1.Kiwi
2.Dbrick
3.Mario Williams
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #7
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

1. Reggie Bush would be sweet, but I would like to see Eric Winston
2. Andrew Withworth
3. Donovan Raiola
3.b. Dominique Byrid
4. Will Blackmon or Devin Hester.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-10-2005   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

1.D'brick
2.Andrew Withworth
3.Devin Hester
3.Dominique Byrd
4.Thomas Howard

REASONING:

D'brick will be the top LT in this draft and quite a few to follow. We need a feature LT and now is the chance to take him.

I also believe Withworth will fall under the radar until the early 2nd...(our pick) and i believe he could replace wade while also providing insurance. I feel he makes a great RT.

Devin hester provides raw talent from Miami with some fire. He is lightning fast and has great hands, he has also been used at wr for miami just to give you an idea of his hands.

Byrd is the tightend for the defending champs. This kid can catch. he is also part of the OL that protects the defending heisman winner who doesnt seem to get sacked.

Howard is going to be a value pick for any team. he is a VERY hard hitter and seems to make plays everywhere on the field.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #9
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

1. D. Ferguson- Best OT in the draft period

2. D.Tapp- Can play standup OLB or can put the hand down and be a pass-rushing DE

3a.Dominique Byrd- second best all-around TE in the draft behind Pope

3b.Jason Avant- AJ gets the ball now with two deeps threats in Mathis and Avant
Old 10-10-2005   #10
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

1st Round - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia - IMO, best LT available in the draft.

2nd Round - Davin Joseph, OG, Oklahoma - His versatility (can play OG or RT) gives him value here.

3rd Round - Anthony Schlegal, ILB, Ohio State - It may be a reach to think he'd be available at this point but here's to wishful thinking.

3rd Round - Manny Lawson - OLB/DE, North Carolina State - PLAY MAKER. Probably on drugs thinking he'll last this long.

4th Round - Will Allen, OG, Texas - Straight homer pick. Brings a nasty disposition greater than any OL presently on Houston's roster.

These five players bring an attitude and identity this team sorely needs.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #11
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is kinda sad for me, the only thing I am excited about or looking forward to right now is the draft...If Ferguson is there when we pick and we trade down, I swear my head will explode...
Old 10-10-2005   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I've got to see D'Brickashaw Ferguson play, but its going to be hard since he's been hurt. The only game I've seen him play in was last season and he seemed more of a LG ala Pitts. If this is the case then the Texans should move Pitts to LT now and see what he can do. However Mankins clearly outplayed him in that game & he lasted until the end of the first round where New England took him 32nd & now starts as their LG.

Unless I see it with my own eyes I'm not jumping on D'Brick Bandwagon

I have been most impressed with three tackles so far and they include Andrew Whitworth, LSU, Jonathan Scott UT & Winston Justice (JR.) USC. So if the Texans do have the #1 pick they could draft the top RB/playmaker Bush and let one of these three tackles fall into their lap with the 1st pick in the 2nd rd.

just added on GBN where they are ranked in the OT pecking order-

5. Jonathan Scott 6-7, 310 Texas
6. Andrew Whitworth 6-7, 330 LSU
7. *Winston Justice 6-6, 300 Southern California

Last edited by beerlover; 10-10-2005 at 09:38 PM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #13
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

1. LT - whoever the best is.
2. Reggie Bush....I need some excitement at RB. Big Play.
3. AJ Hawk....Let's face it our LB corp just aint that good.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #14
Haams
All Pro

Well, this season seems to be tanked - here's to hoping we can hang on to that #1 draft pick. If we get that I think their will be enough teams fighting for Leinhart that we could make a sweet trade. This team has a lot of problems and we need to draft as many quality players as possible 'cause we sure as hell 'aint gettin 'em through free agency. Come the start of next season I want to see at least one good O-Lineman, a quality #2 reciever, someone who can pressure a quarterback, and a backup qb.
Old 10-11-2005   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
1.D'brick
2.Andrew Withworth
3.Devin Hester
3.Dominique Byrd
4.Thomas Howard

REASONING:

D'brick will be the top LT in this draft and quite a few to follow. We need a feature LT and now is the chance to take him.

I also believe Withworth will fall under the radar until the early 2nd...(our pick) and i believe he could replace wade while also providing insurance. I feel he makes a great RT.

Devin hester provides raw talent from Miami with some fire. He is lightning fast and has great hands, he has also been used at wr for miami just to give you an idea of his hands.

Byrd is the tightend for the defending champs. This kid can catch. he is also part of the OL that protects the defending heisman winner who doesnt seem to get sacked.

Howard is going to be a value pick for any team. he is a VERY hard hitter and seems to make plays everywhere on the field.

Somewhere in there we need to add: Elvis Dumervil, DE, Louisville

Get this, in 5 games, Dumervil has posted:

35 total tackles, 16 tackles for loss, 15 sacks, 1 INT, 7 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery
Old 10-12-2005   #16
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
Somewhere in there we need to add: Elvis Dumervil, DE, Louisville

Get this, in 5 games, Dumervil has posted:

35 total tackles, 16 tackles for loss, 15 sacks, 1 INT, 7 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery
Seems like I've read that from somewhere before...
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge

yes you are right, i just didnt have that thread open to give proper credit.
Old 10-12-2005   #18
astrofan
Veteran

1 OT Eric Winston Miami
2 OLB Garrett McIntyre Fresno State
3 WR Mike Hass Oregon State
3 FB Brian Leonard Rutgers

I would trade our top three overall pick down at least twice; maybe first down to five-seven then again to twelve-thirteen, pick up at least two more first day picks this year and one or two next year

traded picks

2 OT Daryn Colledge
3 TE Jeff King

does anyone know a good place to find out what teams have picks in what rounds? that would be great
astrofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #19
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

While we're playing armchair GM, I'd trade down from 1, where we'll likely be picking, to 4, picking up a 2nd rounder in the process...I would then draft Ferguson with the 4th overall pick, Davin Joseph with the 33rd pick, Leonard Pope with the 36th pick, Jay Cutler from Vandy with the 65th pick (to learn from whatever vet QB we bring in for a year), and Manny Lawson with the Saints' 3rd rounder...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #20
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrofan
3 WR Mike Hass Oregon State

I really like Mike Hass, but I figured he'd be more of a slot receiver in the NFL. Perhaps I'm not giving him enough credit for his speed, but he does have excellent hands and knows how to get open or find soft spots in a zone.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read