Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-09-2005   #1
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Default 2006 Draft

So we will own the first overall pick in the draft we are going to have alot of questions to answer. I don't see Dom Capers back, Casserly prolly has a couple more years(unfortuneately) left.

So the question if we have the first pick is do we keep Carr or make a change. Making a change we prolly keep Carr on roster or release him, but he wouldn't net more than a 4th or 5th round pick at best.

I Prefer to give Carr another year simply because he doesn't have the line and a rookie is gonna basically lay an egg no matter who he is. So do we go D'Brickashaw Ferguson? Do we need to use a 1st overall for him? i saw we trade down to the 6-9 range, there are 3 quality LT prospects and we need as many picks as we can get there will probably be someone (arizona) looking to move up and is gonna sell the farm cause even if we get a top caliber LT, its gonna take a year to adjust. We still need help on the defensive side, we need a better outside linebackers.

Finally the end of my rant, we need to get off our high horse and either call up Ross Verba and pay him whatever it takes for him to play again this year, we have enough under the cap to get him back into a uniform. its to save a QBs career or at worst trade value. because Riley ain't cuttin it. Or we need to give Wand another shot, at least we can still pretend that he has potential riley is on the tail end.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005   #2
phan1
All Pro

I am SO NOT looking foward to the draft. Giving up our 2nd and 3rd round picks on Buchanon was huge, so I really don't see us making much of a killing in the draft at all.

The 1st question will be Carr. Do we want to take a QB? I say no because I still think he's our guy. But at the same time, it's hard to use a high 1st round pick on a lineman unless he's really that good. I don't see anyone right now who would be that good, like a Robert Gallery or anything. We're just going to have to make a trade to get a good lineman or shop in free agency.

But I think we either need a straight-up pass rusher or a killer TE. A great TE would be really be helpful to our team. I miss Billy Miller already, and he's not even that good! I really hope we keep Carr around. If Carr is going to be pressure all the time, he really needs a TE. The dump offs to Davis aren't good enough.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #3
THEFUTURE
All Pro

i say trade down a few spots fro a 5-10 pick maybe lower and possibly a seond rounder,still pick up ferguson, and hopefully get a good enough pick to pick up a receiver early, any opinions on Billy Pittman, he looks like a receiver that can do some damage and is under the radar enough not to even pick him in the second maybe wait, i dont see many Texas games out here, so i would be interested in what you think?
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

We gave the 2nd and 3rd pick from LAST draft to get Buchanan, if im not mistaken.

I think if we are #1 overall.. we should trade down 2-4 spots to someone who wants Matt Lienart and get us another 2nd or 3rd. Then with our top 5 pick, we pick up one of the stud LTs.

in the second round id like to see us get a QB, like Reggie McNeal. If we start grooming a talented young guy now.. by the time we get our oline patched up he will be ready to play... and if Carr does recover, we will have two young backups as tradebait/depth.

Then id like to see us get a good TE.. and another lineman. And finally.. in the middle rounds.. i want to see us pick up more LBs. We will hit paydirt eventually... we just gotta...
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #5
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Now I remember the Chargers trading down and getting Rivers and a first rounder and all they did was move down two spots. If I am the Texans, then I try to trade down two-three spots to get an extra second and get your man; otherwise, draft the best LT. You can't afford to let another great one go. Casserly would be a goner for sure if we did not get our LT.
Old 10-11-2005   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
Now I remember the Chargers trading down and getting Rivers and a first rounder and all they did was move down two spots. If I am the Texans, then I try to trade down two-three spots to get an extra second and get your man; otherwise, draft the best LT. You can't afford to let another great one go. Casserly would be a goner for sure if we did not get our LT.
The Chargers didn't trade down. They drafted Eli Manning and the Giants drafted Rivers at #4. They then traded Manning for Rivers and several draft picks. Of course, then both QB's wanted #1 money.
Old 10-11-2005   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
The Chargers didn't trade down. They drafted Eli Manning and the Giants drafted Rivers at #4. They then traded Manning for Rivers and several draft picks. Of course, then both QB's wanted #1 money.
Rivers sat out, Brees re-established himself as the starter and Rivers has yet to play. meanwhile I'm of the opinion Eli can become better than his brother Peyton and worth every bit of what the Giants paid to get him.

Remember also the Texans have tried that trading down scheme last year passing on a sure fire solution to our linebacking woes, two decent tackles and a punishing safety, just to name a few. The Texans would be better off if they just aquire the man they need like they did in 2004 with Dunta Robinson.

For all of you guys that insist on a left tackle with the 1st pick all I ask is that YOU watch them play a little bit before you jump the gun & automatically say D'Brickashaw just because alot of internet sites say he is the top prospect. things happen during senior years, some good some bad for right now he is highly questionable, missing games with an injury & not establishing himself so far this season as the best in College Football.

We've got a couple close to home to keep an eye on Jon Scott, Texas and Andrew Whitworth LSU. watch them closely, since there local and play for excellent teams you should be able to see them play often. The real blue chip OT is Marcus McNeil of Auburn 607 335 pounds they play Florida this weekend thats an excellent match-up and should test his pass protection skills to get a good indication how effective he might be in the NFL. then last but not least Eric Winston, Miami 607 315 pounds he has the best technique of the bunch but is still recovering from his acl last season. if he shows improvement in his range of motion and his footwork speed returns to pre-injury status he may become a Texan and worth a top 5 pick.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2005   #8
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2006 draft

Hey its something to do . Denver trades us their two first round picks ... and a second rd pick for our first overall pick .
GBNDR has Eric Winston as the best tackle .
Old 10-12-2005   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

A good, nasty LB or DE in the early rounds.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #10
texan2061
Rookie

I say we take the quarterback from USC and make Carr a backup, because that's all he is....a backup quarterback. After that, work on the offensive line.
texan2061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #11
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2061
I say we take the quarterback from USC and make Carr a backup, because that's all he is....a backup quarterback. After that, work on the offensive line.
That's exactly what we should do...Let's pay Carr his $8 million option, then bench him so he can watch another promising QB get ruined by our OL...Brilliant!
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #12
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
That's exactly what we should do...Let's pay Carr his $8 million option, then bench him so he can watch another promising QB get ruined by our OL...Brilliant!
While also paying him 8 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #13
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok here we go.

We trade down a couple of spots to acquire an extra 2 and 3. With our new first round pick we grab D. Ferguson. Now we have 2 2nds and 2 thirds. We have a couple of options. We can package a 2 and 3 to jump back into the first round to draft another stud tackle and play him as our right tackle, we can jump back in and get a disruptive ball hawk(AJ HAwk), or we can stay pat and wait for people to fall to us. I think there will be an excellent DE who will fall becuase of injuries. People will point to his injury and time lost and pass on him. I say we grab him should he fall to us. That man's name:Mathias Kiwanuka.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #14
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Forget that, when you get a chance to get a franchise left tackle, you do and do it without hesitation.
Old 10-12-2005   #15
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
Forget that, when you get a chance to get a franchise left tackle, you do and do it without hesitation.
By using my strategy YOU GET your franchise LT, a stud DE, and possibly some extra picks!

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 10-12-2005   #16
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst
Ok here we go.

We trade down a couple of spots to acquire an extra 2 and 3. With our new first round pick we grab D. Ferguson. Now we have 2 2nds and 2 thirds. We have a couple of options. We can package a 2 and 3 to jump back into the first round to draft another stud tackle and play him as our right tackle, we can jump back in and get a disruptive ball hawk(AJ HAwk), or we can stay pat and wait for people to fall to us. I think there will be an excellent DE who will fall becuase of injuries. People will point to his injury and time lost and pass on him. I say we grab him should he fall to us. That man's name:Mathias Kiwanuka.

What injury are you speaking of for Kiwi?? He missed exactly 4 minutes in the last game with an "injury". He taped it up and came right back out in the second half. You may have missed Kiwi various drives in other games, but thats because O'Brien likes to shuffle his defensive lines up VERY frequently.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #17
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Ok here we go.

You're talking about having 2 picks in the top 10, because that's where those two players are going (even if Ferguson is overrated) Hawk may be top 5, and Ferguson will probably go around #10.

So in short, that won't work.
Old 10-12-2005   #18
awtysst
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
What injury are you speaking of for Kiwi?? He missed exactly 4 minutes in the last game with an "injury". He taped it up and came right back out in the second half. You may have missed Kiwi various drives in other games, but thats because O'Brien likes to shuffle his defensive lines up VERY frequently.
I saw him go down in the game and did not know he returned. I also heard he was gonna be out for a couple of weeks.

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 10-12-2005   #19
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
I saw him go down in the game and did not know he returned. I also heard he was gonna be out for a couple of weeks.
Nope. He returned but was later ejected for punching that piece of **** Butler in the mouth after Butler cheapshotted him(See: Cheapshot thread, that happened AFTER his injury). The only way Kiwi was going to miss the next game was if O'Brien chose to bench him for getting ejected, but O'Brien said he isnt suspending Kiwi or Washington.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
Nope. He returned but was later ejected for punching that piece of **** Butler in the mouth after Butler cheapshotted him(See: Cheapshot thread, that happened AFTER his injury). The only way Kiwi was going to miss the next game was if O'Brien chose to bench him for getting ejected, but O'Brien said he isnt suspending Kiwi or Washington.
Kiwi was reported as being out for the upcoming game and as I understood it from watching the clip over in the Cheap Shot thread, it was his teammate who got ejected for rightfully retaliating.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read