Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-10-2005   #21
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
How many playoff wins do they have?
I don't know - I am too lazy to go look it up. Probably more than we do. Regardless, I doubt they're employing some psychological warfar wherein they pity us to effectively run smack. It just happens that way when you are the worst franchise in the NFL.

OK, after typing that, I have to stop and think - are we actually the worst franchise in football? The Browns are making strides with Romeo Crennel. The Dolphins made a positive move by getting Saban. The Bungles are having a nice season and ever since Marvin Lewis got there, you could see the attitude change. The Saints? Maybe they save us from that dubious title, I don't know.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #22
seahawk2k
Rookie

Default our checkered past

We've won three playoff games, none since 1984, we've been to the playoffs five times in that span. Not a glorious past by any stretch of the imagination. Being a Seahawks fan is a hellish spin through mediocrity and false hope. Take this year for you guys, imagine that happening every year for the next fifteen years, and you have a Seahawks fan.
I'm not here to talk smack, just football. I'm a Texans fan when they aren't playing the Seahawks and my buddy is a diehard Texans fan who still thinks there is hope for you guys and Carr and the gang will pull it together.
With that said, although playing a winless team the week after the biggest win in years is a dangerous situation, the fact that it is a Sunday night game abolishes the chance of a letdown. It also helps that the Seahawks are playing at home, and they play much much better at home. It's a fun and rowdy place to see a game, if any of you are coming up for the game, Have fun.
As bad as you must feel your team is right now, the Texans are better than that winless record. As for last week, the Titans are a lot better than people give them credit for, when they lose, its because of inexperience more than anything else.
seahawk2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #23
Large_Ant
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
I think the Texans will play better if its cold wet and rainy, which in Seattle there is a solid chance. Right now the Texans can't even figure out when to open the roof @ Relient, the first opening week the fans got toasted, not just by the Steelers but a heat index over 115 degrees. This week we had a beautiful, clear & cool day in the upper 70's lower 80's and they shut the roof. what a mess
Would you believe that in the three years that Qwest Field has been open in Seattle (which has no roof), it has not once rained on a Seahawks home game? It's true. Not very likely that this weekend will break that trend.
Large_Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #24
Large_Ant
Rookie

Quote:
Our best pass blocking tackle is Chester Pitts and he hasn't played a snap on the edge while we have a guy better suited for RT or G playing LT in Riley - a guy who has never in his history been considered a good pass blocker at that.
Funny thing about Chester Pitts. I live in Southern California and my uncle works for a city called Torrance which is just outside of Los Angeles. Chester Pitts father (who has the same name) is on the police force for the city of Torrance and my uncle knows him well. Told him that I was a Seahawk fan and he told my uncle to tell me that we (the Seahawks) are going to lose this weekend.
Old 10-10-2005   #25
Large_Ant
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
Anyways, I'm curious about Seatles overall feeling on Sharper. How is he doing for your team this year???
So far, Sharper is doing good but not great. However he has been able to stay on the field all year which is more than I can say for Anthony Simmons or Chad Brown over the last three years. That alone makes him a solid addition.
Old 10-11-2005   #26
touttail
All Pro

Glad to hear that Jamie is doing well. I was and still are one of is biggest fans. I have 3 of his jerseys, an autographed football, autographed 8x10, and a couple of autographed baseball cards. Guess they are worthless now with him in a Texans uniform.

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #27
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

How funny is it that the most positive thing posted on this board is from an apposing teams fan?
TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2005   #28
touttail
All Pro

I just can't see you guys losing with the players & potential you have. I thought we had turned it around in Cincy. The team showed fire and desire. They were not on the field just going through the motions. Then here comes the Titans. One of our big rivals, 1-3 record. We were in it for a while, then it seems like they had coaches that were capable of making adjustments(which we don't) and they started picking us apart! We will be a team to reckon with in the future, but not now.

What I hope for is an good, competetive game, with NO serious injuries to either team!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobby 119C :brickwall
Old 10-11-2005   #29
touttail
All Pro

Large Ant, you have a private message from me!
bobby 119C
Old 10-11-2005   #30
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large_Ant
So far, Sharper is doing good but not great. However he has been able to stay on the field all year which is more than I can say for Anthony Simmons or Chad Brown over the last three years. That alone makes him a solid addition.
Good to hear. Sharper is a class act and one of the fan favorites the past three years.

I hope he has a Pro-Bowl year starting after next Sunday. It would be proof of yet another bonehead move by this coaching staff. Getting rid of proven veteran leadership while staying $8 million under the salary cap is asinine.

Good luck next Sunday. I can only hope that the Texans are at least competitive.
Old 10-11-2005   #31
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I hope he has a Pro-Bowl year starting after next Sunday. It would be proof of yet another bonehead move by this coaching staff. Getting rid of proven veteran leadership while staying $8 million under the salary cap is asinine.
Speaking of ex-Houston footballers...

Steve Large_Ant was an Oiler who went on to be a hall of fame WR since he was too small and too slow to play here.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #32
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
How funny is it that the most positive thing posted on this board is from an apposing teams fan?

The opposing fan hasn't had to watch the Texans this season. That pretty much explains everything.
Old 10-11-2005   #33
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Speaking of ex-Houston footballers...

Steve Large_Ant was an Oiler who went on to be a hall of fame WR since he was too small and too slow to play here.
wow...I never knew Largent was drafted by the Oilers. Darn...that figures. :brickwall

I saw an NFL Films on him recently, and he was nails. I'd venture he's definitely in the top 10 (if not top 5) WRs of all time. He seems like a cool dude, too.
Old 10-11-2005   #34
seahawk2k
Rookie

Yeah, Houston gave Largent to us for a third or fourth round draft pick, don't remember which. He's one of those guys with deceptive speed and the ability to go up and get anything thrown in the vicinity.
The greatest thing Largent ever did was lay out Mike Harden a couple months after the Denver safety knocked him unconscious. That was a great moment.
Old 10-11-2005   #35
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Im excited to see my favorite NFL reciever play this week. The mistake from Tampa Joe Jervicous (or how ever you spell it). Love the guy and love his heart for the game.

Last edited by BigBull17; 10-12-2005 at 07:42 AM.
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #36
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk2k
We've won three playoff games, none since 1984, we've been to the playoffs five times in that span. Not a glorious past by any stretch of the imagination. Being a Seahawks fan is a hellish spin through mediocrity and false hope. Take this year for you guys, imagine that happening every year for the next fifteen years, and you have a Seahawks fan.
Many of us were once Houston Oilers fans, so we know pain. We had 2 consecutive AFC Conference games back in the Earl Campbell days ('78 and '79) only to lose to the eventual champs and our most hated team (at that time), the Steelers.

We had a stretch of seven consecutive playoff appearances without even making it to the AFC Championship game under Warren Moon. During that stretch, we had to endure the infamous Bills game in 1992 (up 35-3 and lost) as well as the 1991 Denver game (up 21-6 and lost). In 1993, we rode an 11-game winning streak into the playoffs, had a bye week, and hosted the Chiefs in the second round only to lose to Joe Montana.

Last edited by TheOgre; 10-12-2005 at 10:07 AM.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #37
seahawk2k
Rookie

Default Quite familiar

I'm quite familiar with the Oilers history. Do you remember the 1987 wild card playoff game against the Seahawks? Seahawks tie the game near the end of regulation, Fred Young picks off a pass deep in Oilers territory, its reviewed and rules incomplete, oilers drive down and win the game. I'm not bitter, it happens.
In 1993, didn't that team start 1-4 before that 11 game win streak?
There really was no way the Oilers were going to deny Montana on that day. That game was his real last hurrah. Weren't you guys up 10-0 in that game too?
There is always the question, which is worse, being a fan of an absolutely horrible team year after year, or be a fan of a team that is good, makes the playoffs but constantly breaks your heart year after year. Personally, I'd much rather be a fan of a consistent playoff team, with the heartbreak there are also many good memories I'm sure.
Old 10-11-2005   #38
BigBalla1983
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to BigBalla1983 Send a message via MSN to BigBalla1983 Send a message via Yahoo to BigBalla1983

I hope both teams show up for this game and play with respect and with heart. In that said it could be a good high scoring game if the offensive line change works out for us.

One thing seahawk fan. Make sure if this game goes to overtime, tell matt hasselback to not say "We want the ball and we going to score" lol it was hilarious when he said that in that playoff game against the packers 2 years ago i think. Then he threw the interception for the score which he did throw a touchdown .

Gl to both teams once again.
BigBalla1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #39
seahawk2k
Rookie

Oh yes, "we want the ball and we are going to score" will forever be in my memory. Imagine what a legend he would've been if they'd actually scored? The pick wasn't entirely his fault, Bannister ran a terrible route.
I'd like to see the Texans play hard, inspired football, regardless of the score. You can build on that.
Old 10-11-2005   #40
seahawk2k
Rookie

The game where they blocked the kick and took it back for the game winning td was 1996 actually. A forgettable year for the Seahawks with the exception of that game. I forget who blocked the kick but Michael McCary a beast of a pass rusher(whom we let go) picked it up, lateraled to Robert "Ouch, there goes my hamstring" Blackmon who ran all the way for a td.
My memory isn't that good, but if you watch NFL Films highlight films repeatedly as a child, it sticks in the memory.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read