Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2005   #1
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Question Babin Quote

In Sat. mornings Chronic

Quoting Babin, discussing the trade with the Titans that landed Babin here.

"Its real frustrating to not be able to play. I didn't even know who they got (in the trade). If a team wants to give up pick to get a higher pick, that's their prerogative. It's the price of playing poker in this league."

Maybe I am too critical and read way too much into quotes.
It would have encouraged me more to hear him state something that sounded a little more positive. Maybe something along the line " I will prove that Mr Casserly and the scouts were right about me when they traded up to draft me".
But then thats just me.

If it was poker I am afraid that four of a kind (roster players) will beat a joker anytime.

TE Ben Troupe rookie franchise record with 33 receptions
Randy Starks led all rookie defensive tackles with 4 1/2 sacks in 2004
DE Bo Schobel missed most of 2004 injured.
Jacob Bell started at left guard as a rookie and made the All-Rookie team.

Could we use a TE?
Starks 4 1/2 sacks? Is that more than our entire team?
A promising left guard?

Nah, we would rather draft a three year project. Thats Cass's estimate, not mine.

Thats my

cac:
Old 10-08-2005   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

It's easy to pick apart a sentence from the players. I don't see anything I'd consider condeming about that. The team mishandled this Babin injury situation and him being benched because of that....it really gave the fans a platform to further dog him and put even more pressure on him. Sad and poorly handled by this team.

ps - A link would be nice for easy confirmation cac.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005   #3
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Babin is just saying that he can't worry about a trade and draft picks. That I agree with. Players can't worry about business type stuff. he can only concentate on becoming a better football player and getting healthy.

Now Casserly on the other hand needs to be really worried about that kind of stuff.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is not Babin's fault . The Texans brass decided to trade up for him thinking they can cherry pick their prospects because their on the brink of being a playoff team . Fast forward a year and we sure could use those picks .
Old 10-08-2005   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

"We haven't given up on him. When he's healthy, we expect good things from him. He's just got to get healthy. The injury was worse than we thought."

- Casserly on Bosel...errr Jopp....errrr....Holl....errr....Babin from the same Chron article referenced above.

Can't blame the player for being injured but you sure can hold the GM accountable for trading the house, or at least the apartment, for one player; and the coaching staff and scouts accountable for the talent grade.

I'd rather have multiple 'good' players than roll the dice on one that 'might' become dominant in three years - after they learn how to play the position of course.

I said that after the draft in '04 so this isn't bandwagon dogging. After the Dunta pick, I drove home to catch the rest of the draft on tv and all the feelings of bewilderment and pissed-offness I felt then after pick 27 are coming back strong right now.

Last edited by aj.; 10-08-2005 at 06:12 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005   #6
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

I'll say one thing. It may seem odd, but I feel better about Babin knowing he has supposedly been injured since the Oakland preseason game. That has to be the reason for his poor play this season. He struggled at times during his rookie season, but he always played hard and looked to be making strides.
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005   #7
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89506 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe i missed an article or sound bite from the radio...maybe not ,but it seems to me babin was used as a propaganda piece for about a week after the loss to the steelers.

the fans are pissed...the team isnt playing up to their potential....what do we do?

-can the oc. good.

so whats the d gonna change?

-dont worry folks we've isolated the problem...we're gonna bench babin and buchannon. buchannon...good. babin? why were we led to believe the team was making drastic changes because of his subpar play? why didnt they say right off that he was injured? it brought undo pressure on him.

shouldve been handled better.
Old 10-08-2005   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda
...it brought undo pressure on him.

shouldve been handled better.
Babin brought it on himself by not disclosing his injury. Not professional on his part.
Old 10-08-2005   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Since when is it normal for players to announce injuries so other players can take hits on that part of his body? If the team knew about it (Casserly said they knew about it since the Oakland practices) aren't they the ones bound to disclose it?

Old 10-08-2005   #10
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

The Chronicle article said that the coaches didn't know the extent of the injury until they reviewed the Steelers game film and saw that he was basically playing with one arm. Apparently Babin didn't let on to the extent of the injury. I heard Casserly say yesterday that he (Casserly, and I would presume Babin) were aware of the injury all the way back to the practice sessions against the Raiders in preseason but the party line now is that they weren't aware of the severity.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printsto...sports/3387619

Last edited by aj.; 10-08-2005 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-08-2005   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

thanks...I got the impression with Casserly's comments on 610am (was doing multiple things and may not have been listening well) that Babin's injury was known since the Oakland practice.

Old 10-08-2005   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
"I didn't realize at the time (during the Pittsburgh game) how much (his shoulder) was bothering him," Capers said. "After I watched the tape, I saw he was pretty much a one-armed player. So we wanted to get it examined. After our medical staff examined it, we felt that resting and rehabbing it would be the best procedure. He got a second opinion. Right now, he's rehabbing it."
This still makes me think that the team handled his injury poorly. When they benched him after the Steeler game they never mentioned the injury...just the fact that there were "changes" being made (at least right off the bat). I think that was unfair to Babin in a climate where he already has a ton of pressure since he represents so many picks.

Old 10-08-2005   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Since when is it normal for players to announce injuries so other players can take hits on that part of his body? If the team knew about it (Casserly said they knew about it since the Oakland practices) aren't they the ones bound to disclose it?
Here's the Babin injury timeline as I understand it:

1) Babin injures shoulder in camp during practices with Raiders
2) Babin plays poorly week 2 against Steelers, is benched during game
3) Capers announces Shantee Orr starts over Babin at LOLB
4) After reviewing game tape, Capers notices Babin is favoring his shoulder
5) Babin undergoes exams and is found to have a torn labrum

I haven't seen anything to suggest Babin ever disclosed his injury to the team.
Old 10-08-2005   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

Deeds not words.

Works both ways - in terms of what we see vs. what we hear from management.
Old 10-08-2005   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Here's the Babin injury timeline as I understand it:

1) Babin injures shoulder in camp during practices with Raiders
2) Babin plays poorly week 2 against Steelers, is benched during game
3) Capers announces Shantee Orr starts over Babin at LOLB
4) After reviewing game tape, Capers notices Babin is favoring his shoulder
5) Babin undergoes exams and is found to have a torn labrum

I haven't seen anything to suggest Babin ever disclosed his injury to the team.
You are probably right...but still, that's just a guess since the team has been so cryptic. I would guess that they would review the game tape before they demote a starter. It's hard to believe his shoulder was that injured and nobody noticed at all.

Old 10-08-2005   #16
Lucky

Quote:
You are probably right...but still, that's just a guess since the team has been so cryptic. It's hard to believe his shoulder was that injured and nobody noticed at all.
That is hard to believe. I know there were fans complaining about Babin's effort in preseason. I never really paid attention to it.
Old 10-08-2005   #17
aj.
Hall of Fame

When I heard Casserly yesterday, he made it sound as if he (Casserly) and the coaches were aware of the injury when it happened vs. Babin finally fessing up now that it happened then. I may have the daily injury report from then... I'll go back and look.
Old 10-08-2005   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Lucky, I would guess that they would review the game tape before they demote a starter.

that would be great aj..thanks.

Old 10-08-2005   #19
Lucky

Quote:
Lucky, I would guess that they would review the game tape before they demote a starter.
Vinny, they benched Babin and Showtime during the Steeler game. The announcement just made it "official". What with the firing of Palmer and the bye week coming up, I'm guessing the game tape review took a backseat that week.
Old 10-08-2005   #20
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't they lift weights during the week . I've tried to lift with a sore shoulder ... it hurts .
When Babin was drafted I thought we traded up because he was a pass rushing fool . Then we put him on the strong side . Most pass rushing fools play the weak side . I think thats right .
Drafting is an inexact science to begin with . Drafting for a 3-4 defense is even more inexact . Drafting a player from a small school to convert to another position in a 3-4 is a small target .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read