Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-05-2005   #1
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 432 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do the Texans winning/losing affect .....

I was wondering if for anyone else out there, the Texans losing can make your week miserable and non-productive.

I know that when the Texans lose, I genrally feel more lazy in the week. Very down. I will slack in my excersizing, eat horribly, slack in my work.

But when they win, I find myself more energized and productive.

I just noticed this trend in myself. McNair please fix this team. It's affecting my health and work!!!!!!!
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #2
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I know it's hard as hell to watch anything on Sportscenter, and it makes getting to next Sunday take even longer, of course only to lose again. Not to mention all the trash we hear about them being the worst team in the league. Fortunately most of my friends teams suck too so they can't really talk a lot of trash.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #3
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 432 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah thats another thing that makes it so hard. All my friends conitinually give me the Texans Suck routine...I mean I know it's true, but I don't need to be reminded.
Old 10-05-2005   #4
lvtexan
Rookie

Exclamation

I can only blame the coach for how bad they look. He's had MORE than enough time to make them a formidable team (4 drafts) and he doesn't even know how to change them up on the field when their plays aren't working. It's a TOTAL lack of control. sorry, but I COULD do a better job.
lvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #5
Paragon Blue
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly
I was wondering if for anyone else out there, the Texans losing can make your week miserable and non-productive.

I know that when the Texans lose, I genrally feel more lazy in the week. Very down. I will slack in my excersizing, eat horribly, slack in my work.

I just noticed this trend in myself. McNair please fix this team. It's affecting my health and work!!!!!!!
As soon as my wife gets home from work on Sundays she always asks me what kind of mood I'm in. So far this year i've been in a terrible mood. :brickwall
Old 10-06-2005   #6
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I genrally feel more lazy in the week. Very down. I will slack in my excersizing, eat horribly, slack in my work.
Well you are going to gain about 50 lbs and lose your job by the time this season ends.
sakebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #7
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly

After reviewing the play, the ruling on the field
stands!

It does upset me. When I heard those words, I slammed both hands down on the coffee table, got up and went and showered for work. I wouldn't watch the rest of the game, just made me sick. It doesn't bother me the whole week, but it does right at first.

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2005   #8
profan
Veteran

Yes, my wife can tell you if they won or loss just by looking at me. After a loss, i become distracted at work, like now, my patience is very thin with the kids, etc. A win puts me in a good mood, more productive at work, my family loves me again, etc.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 267781 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

When the Texans lose I literally die on the inside. I know it's stupid but during football season my entire world tends to revolve around the teams success or lack thereof. This has not been a good year. I've stopped bothering to record their games and in fact I didn't even start watching last weeks game until the half. Even then I only watched it off and on.

Sure someone is going to haul out the old "we don't need fans like you" line and say I've fallen off the bandwagon but I can't see how watching three years of solid losing and hanging on every positive play this team made during that stretch makes me a bandwagon type fan. For the most part I saw effort during those lousy years. The lack of same his made me disinterested so far in 2005. It's been a big letdown and my general mood and attitude has reflected that.

I find myself paying more attention to the Astros than I normally would. They're a team that's got issues but simply won't quit. That attracts me. Watching the Texans make moves to improve for the last three years and then come out playing worse than ever repels me. It's as simple as that. It's why I loved the Bum Phillips era Oilers but never could really fall in love with the infinitely more talented Warren Moon era Oilers. One team played way over their heads and the other seemed to coast on talent. The Texans in weeks one and two looked like that, except they had no talent so they didn't coast far.
Old 10-06-2005   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I am a Texan, therefore I am. It pains me to no end to see my team perform the way they do. As a former Cowboys fan I had to miserbaly go through some painful years in the mid to late eighties, but I was not at an age where I was invested with the team. Now that I bought into the PSLs in 2002 I tend to hear things from my wife such as -

Why are you doing this to yourself?
Do we have to go to the game this weekend?
Why don't you come with me to the baby shower, you know what the Texans are going to do.

or my favorite - if they keep losing you may want to consider going to church because the Texans and your fantasy teams are in need of some divine intervention.

These are real questions and statements from the lovely Mrs. Kaiser Toro.
Old 10-06-2005   #11
Doom Capers
Veteran

Eh, I was pretty upset after the Tampa Bay preseason game and the Buffalo game, because I expected a lot more. I am used to it now, and I am in the same "lose again this week" state of mind I was in our second season.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #12
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

The Texans are NOT good enough to make a run at the layoffs. So all we have to look forward to is a good draft next year. So "if" they win any games this year it will irritate me. It is also gonna irritate me when we don't get to pick anyone in the 2nd or 3rd rounds because I beleive we gave those up for P-Buc... I say lose lose lose...
Old 10-06-2005   #13
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
The Texans are NOT good enough to make a run at the layoffs. So all we have to look forward to is a good draft next year. So "if" they win any games this year it will irritate me. It is also gonna irritate me when we don't get to pick anyone in the 2nd or 3rd rounds because I beleive we gave those up for P-Buc... I say lose lose lose...
You're not a "real fan". Why don't you go root for another team!

Just kidding... just trying to get some points.

But anyway, the draft picks were for last year's draft.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #14
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Losses absolutely ruin my week. I won't watch other games, highlights or check stats until about Thursday.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #15
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 135847 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon Blue
As soon as my wife gets home from work on Sundays she always asks me what kind of mood I'm in. So far this year i've been in a terrible mood. :brickwall
LoL, This is funny. My wife calls me from work and asks how I'm doing on gamedays. She'll call maybe 2 or 3 times. Kickoff everything is GREAT, halftime everything is so so, 4th qtr - I hate this damn coach! WTF this and WTF that. BS Call - It was a TUCK rule. You get the hint. Is this our hurt Texans fan meeting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #16
rockabilly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
LoL, This is funny. My wife calls me from work and asks how I'm doing on gamedays. She'll call maybe 2 or 3 times. Kickoff everything is GREAT, halftime everything is so so, 4th qtr - I hate this damn coach! WTF this and WTF that. BS Call - It was a TUCK rule. You get the hint. Is this our hurt Texans fan meeting?
Yes. It is the therapy session that we are all in dier need of. My brother always tells me, "I guarantee you that you are gonna die of a heart attack watching a Texans game."

I just find it so strange how football can affect your mood so much. The Texans organization puts so much money into advertising trying to sway Texas residents from being Cowboy fans to being Texans fans. The advertising has worked on me...and I am now addicted and a Texans fan since their inception. (Although I was never a Cowgirls fans...old Oilers).

But this organization has a responsibility to give us a good team. Even though they might break our undefeated streak in Battle Red against the Colts, I still bought some tickets and shall make the drive from Austin (at $3 gas mind you..) to give this team my support.

All that being said,

Two out of Three doctors don't recommend Texans Football.
Old 10-06-2005   #17
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Every Monday I dread coming into work because I'm bombarded with "How 'bout them Texans!" or "Texans suck!" from way too many people. I guess I'm an easy target since it's well known that I'm a fan win or lose. I try to blow it off but in reality it does make Mondays and sometimes Tuesdays almost unbearable because of the razzing.
Old 10-06-2005   #18
Paragon Blue
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor
Every Monday I dread coming into work because I'm bombarded with "How 'bout them Texans!" or "Texans suck!" from way too many people. I guess I'm an easy target since it's well known that I'm a fan win or lose. I try to blow it off but in reality it does make Mondays and sometimes Tuesdays almost unbearable because of the razzing.
I hate this also because I work with nothing but Cowboys fans. All I hear is How Bout Them Cowboys. Stupidest phrase ever.
Old 10-06-2005   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 346173 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up

This is a good question.

To be honest, I've learned to put things in perspective. Not that I don't feel a little bummed out when I have high hopes that get tempered with reality...but...

A certain game in Houston football history taught me a very valuable lesson.

I shall not elaborate, other than 35-3...

But I went into a sad funk for a couple of weeks after that one. Strange, to be a spectator, and let an entertainment event effect my everyday mood, but it happened and it was real.

After that occasion, of truly believing that my team was Superbowl bound, I taught myself that happiness is a choice.

Maybe our expansion team hasn't really given us reason to have high hopes at this point in their history. Perhaps I'll forget my lessons of the past when they eventually become a good team that posts winning records and is expected to make the playoffs.

Lord knows I'm much more involved with the Texans than I ever was with the Oilers...season tickets since the inaugural year, tailgating every homegame, becoming friends with a internet forum devoted to the team...

But what the heck, 'eh?

At this point in our team's development, my emotional involvement with wins and losses is minimal, because I'm staying a realist.

Although, that could change with success.
Old 10-06-2005   #20
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

When we loose I feel sick! Even close losses make my stomach turn. I'm a very competetive person and I love my Houston sports teams but nothing compares to how the Texans can affect my mood. A loosing Sunday eats at me. My friends think I've lost my mind... but im a football nutt. For the 16 weeks out of the last 4 years that we've feilded a winning team I've been on cloud nine. A loss on Sunday brings me WAY down... then I gradually start to hype myself up again untill I level off on Saturday. Then it's rollarcoaster time again.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read