Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-05-2005   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Carr Bomb? | HPF

Quote:
it’s time to bench David Carr.

Not to punish the young fireballer for what’s gone down thus far, but because we have to know. We have to know just who, exactly, is responsible for the NFL’s most anemic offense. Right now, no one seems to have a clue. Talk to 12 different people and they’ll give you 12 different answers. The offensive line is porous; the playcalling is too predictable; the routes are too long; the routes are too short; the receivers too incompetent. And yes, more than a few think David Carr is simply no good. Chris Palmer obviously had no answers. He’s now unemployed. Charley Casserly has been quoted as having no idea, and isn’t that refreshing? Dom Capers continues to scribble notes during games and as much as we’d love to believe he’s writing down acute observations and groundbreaking solutions, my suspicion is that he’s either updating his résumé or doing mathematical equations to try and figure out the significance of Hurley’s lottery numbers on Lost.
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/slant/slant60.html

Ric makes a lot of sense.. They have to know at the end of this year if Carr is the man or not or the franchise possibly be in salary cap hades for paying a guy that isn't getting it done. Well done article IMO
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love to see Ric Sweeney or any forum member for that matter to put themselves in David Carr's shoes and see how well they would respond with 250-300 pounders barreling just as hard and fast as they can to squish the beer guts out of you from all directions

If anyone is benched its Riley, then Wade then take your pick of the rest of the offensive line :brickwall
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #3
CajunTexan
Veteran

Good article, good post. I too am pulling for Carr. Sitting him may be the only way to see, but it would be hard to justify right now as Carrs numbers have improved with each game and his "game presence" was much better this week. Now, if he has a bad half or game anywhere down the line, it should be an easy call.

It would also be very tough on Banks or "little Dave," who get very few reps in practise, to be thown into this fray.
CajunTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
I would love to see Ric Sweeney or any forum member for that matter to put themselves in David Carr's shoes and see how well they would respond with 250-300 pounders barreling just as hard and fast as they can to squish the beer guts out of you from all directions

If anyone is benched its Riley, then Wade then take your pick of the rest of the offensive line :brickwall
If you read the article he is suggesting a way to show the football world that it may not be David Carr...but the team that is problematic.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #5
lucky13

Quote:

i'd happily go in his shoes for what he is being paid to do so. i'd play every snap.
Old 10-05-2005   #6
Elite
Veteran

Quote:

Hell ill do it i can show no leadership like david does i can throw 3 yards check down passes and most important i can say i aint going to cut my hair like he does
Old 10-05-2005   #7
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

actually..

I respect Carr..I respect what he does, and I like the guy. but just because he has had it rough here in Houston, that doesnt mean that im willing to accept our terrible play.

If its Carr's fault..then he needs to go. It would really suck that we ruined such a talented young QB.. but im not going to sacrifice my team cause I feel bad about it.

Walking a mile in his shoes has nothing to do with the play of this team on Sundays.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-05-2005   #8
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

David gets paid a ton of money.

He could walk away tomorrow and have enough money to never have to work a day of the rest of his life.

Feel sorry for him? Nope. If he can't do the job they pay him to do they need to get somebody else. And the same applies for all the other players and the coaches.

You either perform at a high level or you're eventually replaced.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13
i'd happily go in his shoes for what he is being paid to do so. i'd play every snap.
and I would love to see it
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #10
touttail
All Pro

Good article! I have said before that if Carr had some competetion he would be better. He was a shoe in for starting QB and no one to push him.

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #11
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
Good article! I have said before that if Carr had some competetion he would be better. He was a shoe in for starting QB and no one to push him.
I said the same thing throughout the offseason and was told that I was crazy. Doesn't sound like such a crazy idea now, does it?
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #12
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13

We've all had these thoughts like this or "I'd fight Mike Tyson for 10 mil" .... but in Carr's case he has to go in week after week and try to survive (and win if at all possible) .... maybe watching Tony Banks take a whipping for a few weeks might be a good idea .... only problem is that Banks will get hurt and we're worse off than we were ...
Old 10-06-2005   #13
BREAZE
Veteran

The stategy was not to protect in the #1 investment. The result is damaged goods. Most teams would have benched Carr until adequate protection was brought in. Here we are in year 4 and we are nowhere close to adequate protection.

Carr still shows sneak peeks of what he was supposed to be when he has time for routes to develop. How long before he is damaged mentally/physically beyond repair and can't even convert on those rare occasions?

As history has shown, Capers would never consider benching a heathy Carr. With that said, I would not be surprised if Carr is benched soon either by injury or by a new coach.

Carr is dying right before our very eyes by the Casserly/Capers regime...
BREAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr brings a lot of this on himself. He makes our poor line look worse than it does. From what I understand he was responsible for 3 or 4 of last weeks 7 sacks.

Old 10-06-2005   #15
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Veteran

Default Nice Post

Great post, we do need to see where all the problems lie in the O line, but we need to start with banks then ragone, a lot of people say start with ragone, but he has very little to no experience in the NFL, Europe leauge is totally different and he had a line that blocked for him with Berlin Thunder.
MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #16
BREAZE
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Carr brings a lot of this on himself. He makes our poor line look worse than it does. From what I understand he was responsible for 3 or 4 of last weeks 7 sacks.
...a result of 3 years of zero protection...ie, damaged goods.
BREAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Carr has flaws...he's had them for a while. They didn't just start this year...it's just that most of you guys blame his problems on others all the time.

Old 10-06-2005   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
Great post, we do need to see where all the problems lie in the O line, but we need to start with banks then ragone, a lot of people say start with ragone, but he has very little to no experience in the NFL, Europe leauge is totally different and he had a line that blocked for him with Berlin Thunder.
I think Ragone should get some time just to answer the question - Can he play with and against starting caliber NFL personnel?

What do we risk if he is given a shot - that we lose a couple of games? That our offense can't move the ball consistently? We already have that.

Low risk, possible good reward - let him play.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #19
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that the texans should stick with carr. take away that ONE game and his qb rating is in the 90's. he also has all 3 of the td's, 2 passing and 1 rushing.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65
I think that the texans should stick with carr. take away that ONE game and his qb rating is in the 90's. he also has all 3 of the td's, 2 passing and 1 rushing.
I think Carr should keep playing too. I meant if a change is made, or a game is out of control - big loss or big win - Ragone should get some reps instead of Banks.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read