Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-06-2005   #41
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by touttail
The article in the Chronicle claims this monkeying with the OLine is in case of injuries preparing them to play other positions-LOL.

bobby 119C
Yes, this was a temporary shift in practice for a few plays to give them a bit of experience at different positions and to rest some of them for a minute. I do however feel that Pitts would be better than Riley at LT since he is more athletic, Riley is more of a slow, stronger OLineman that should be at LG or RG to help with run blocking.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #42
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Why not try to shift players around? The idea behind keeping the same line together is that they start to gel. The glue obviously ain't holding, so shake the team up. See if anything works better. What's the worst that could happen? Lose a game? Season-ending injury causing them to spiral out of first?
Old 10-06-2005   #43
exclude
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
Why not try to shift players around? The idea behind keeping the same line together is that they start to gel. The glue obviously ain't holding, so shake the team up. See if anything works better. What's the worst that could happen? Lose a game? Season-ending injury causing them to spiral out of first?
That's true. I say shake it up and see what shakes out.

What else can we do???
exclude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #44
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What else can we do???
Well they played musical chairs yesterday, why not the hokey pokey or the chicken dance today?
Old 10-06-2005   #45
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I heard it too...we are run by a team of monkeys.
Can I quote you on that one Vinny. Vinny I still say its Capers and his coaches that are the problem and not Casserly or McNair. They are being taken down by this man and they simply won't say get lost. The COACHING decisions are beyond belief. But then again I've being saying I told you so for a long time.

Its not that they are trying to make adjustments its how they are going about it. This should have been forseen long ago. The adjustments should have been made in the mini camps and TC. Strangely we might be better off with Wand in there, but may be his confidence - what there was - is gone. Then again it wouldn't matter, because there's no coaching anyway.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #46
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Any change to the line is fine for me. There are some possitives in those moves. McKinney played guard for Indy (and played well as I understand it). Pitts was his at his best when playing at Left Tackle. I'm not sure about Hogdon. Maybe get him some snaps in practice and see how he performs. Wade and Weigert should both be on the field. They are 2 of the 5 best we have to offer.
Old 10-06-2005   #47
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's more of a lack of talent than coaching Ibar...but Coaching is close behind. I'd put more blame on Casserly than Capers at this point....but I'm ready to get rid of them all.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2005   #48
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I'm going to go back to my comments about year 2. If you remember, at the end of that year we looked like we were starting to come around. All of us were looking forward to year 3.

However, in the off season Capers made the decision to change to a different blocking scheme for which he had no players. The result has been the loss of any assemblance of an O-line, because the players we have do not fit well into that particular scheme. I'm sorry, but I firmly believe the problem is Capers and all his coaches save for special teams. Please look closely and I think you will find a whole host of coaching mistakes. Where did McKinney play at Baltimore? Guard of course and they had him play C for us. Washington who played Center and in the SB is out and hardly ever seen. Is that because he's so bad or does he not fit into the new scheme? Strangely Wiegert did play some left tackle, but he has been so injured that he has been a non-starter for a good period of time. Take a hard look and I think you will come to the conclusion that the O-line has been totaly mismanaged. I still think these players have ability, but not the way they are being coached. Its sad that people are once again coming to the same conclusion.
Old 10-06-2005   #49
wrestler4life
Veteran

Good post. I agree. I think that he had a good idea about changing to a zone scheme, but then he and Casserly should have gotten the personel to best initiate that system.
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #50
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think it's more of a lack of talent than coaching Ibar...but Coaching is close behind. I'd put more blame on Casserly than Capers at this point....but I'm ready to get rid of them all.
I can understand why you feel that way Vinny, but I think Capers is a bigger problem than you think. Change the coaching staff and the emphasis on what is needed and I think Casserly will continue to do a good job. I still believe Capers has forced more of the picks than you think. I still think the basic startup was wrong based on the way Capers likes to do things. I believe this first attempt was dummed from the start, sad to say. Wouldn't have thought so, but hindsight kind of suggest it.
Old 10-06-2005   #51
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I wished I had saved the article, but I remember reading an op-ed piece about Buchanan and Babin being Caper's choices, which Casserly objected to but made the deal for them for his HC anyway. I don't know how true this is, but judging from the comments on the board, it seems more truth than fiction.
Old 10-06-2005   #52
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I can understand why you feel that way Vinny, but I think Capers is a bigger problem than you think. Change the coaching staff and the emphasis on what is needed and I think Casserly will continue to do a good job. I still believe Capers has forced more of the picks than you think. I still think the basic startup was wrong based on the way Capers likes to do things. I believe this first attempt was dummed from the start, sad to say. Wouldn't have thought so, but hindsight kind of suggest it.
I'd also have to say the coaching staff needs to shoulder a good portion of the blame. The list of players that have improved and stayed improved (not just peaked for a few games) after joining the Texans is short indeed. It is the coach's responsibility to take them to higher levels.
Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #53
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I can understand why you feel that way Vinny, but I think Capers is a bigger problem than you think. Change the coaching staff and the emphasis on what is needed and I think Casserly will continue to do a good job.
There is no way that Casserly forced picks on Dom Capers. If you looked on the draft room webcam, Casserly was always there, I rarely saw Capers.

4 draft picks for players that are currently sitting on the bench is unacceptable. And as Hookem pointed out in another thread, many people mix up Casserly for bringing the championships to Washington. The teams were already fielded by the time he took over.

Like they say, the **** rolls uphill, and Casserly is atop that mountain.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #54
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Man, if that's the case, I might have to see if there's any room on that "fire Caper's" badwagon, too...

I've got your avatar right here man. As soon as you're ready to join up.
Old 10-06-2005   #55
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the o-line problems are about 45% players, 45% coaches and 10% GM. Ibar makes sense that the blocking scheme change doesn't seem to make much sense. That falls on the coaching staff. The players are average at best no matter what the scheme. That falls on the players, coaches and the GM.
Old 10-06-2005   #56
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
I'll start by saying that I obviously don't know anything. But I will say this - other teams plug in guys and cruise right along. The Colts are playing two second-year guys (Jake Scott and Ryan Lilja) that were not 1st round picks, not media-hyped to be the next coming of Boselli or whoever, and they're doing the job. Cincy lost two centers in the game against us, plugged in a guy at Center who had never played the position, and they chugged right along and beat us. The Chargers are starting two second year guys and a third year guy and I've never heard of any of them. Maybe our scouting team is not better than theirs, but I think a larger portion of the blame should go to the coaches for mismanaging them.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #57
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I've got your avatar right here man. As soon as you're ready to join up.
may i? ive been anxious to ask
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #58
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Capers was hired ONLY because he was organized(skills) enough to start a team from scratch like Carolina. He wasn't hired for his coaching abilities. He organized a team so now stick a fork in him. He apparently can't coach!

bobby 119C :brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #59
wrestler4life
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
I'll start by saying that I obviously don't know anything. But I will say this - other teams plug in guys and cruise right along. The Colts are playing two second-year guys (Jake Scott and Ryan Lilja) that were not 1st round picks, not media-hyped to be the next coming of Boselli or whoever, and they're doing the job. Cincy lost two centers in the game against us, plugged in a guy at Center who had never played the position, and they chugged right along and beat us. The Chargers are starting two second year guys and a third year guy and I've never heard of any of them. Maybe our scouting team is not better than theirs, but I think a larger portion of the blame should go to the coaches for mismanaging them.
I agree. And the sad thing is that the guy mismanaging them is now running our offense?!
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #60
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
However, in the off season Capers made the decision to change to a different blocking scheme for which he had no players. The result has been the loss of any assemblance of an O-line, because the players we have do not fit well into that particular scheme.
I thought the zone blocking had nothing to do with our pass blocking?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read