Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-05-2005   #21
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
the coaches specifily Pendry I'm sure are focused on who deserves to start at each position on this line.
I'm sure Palmer was also focused on an offense that would score enough points to win. Sadly, he failed. Just as sadly, such failure is being accepted for the o-line now. There are players playing bad enough that they deserve to be benched. Coaches can have tunnel vision, blind spots, and favorites just like other human beings.

When coaches grade OTs, it is a bad mark when a rusher gets around their outside shoulder or "takes their edge". That was happening very frequently last game. Even if it doesn't lead to a negative play each time it happens, it does lead to pressure, hurries, and can limit your play calling options. For instance, if your tackle is being beaten on the edge on most plays, you certainly shouldn't call a roll out or a reverse back to his side - odds are the ball carrier will be splattered all over the field for a big loss if you do.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #22
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I'm sure Palmer was also focused on an offense that would score enough points to win. Sadly, he failed. Just as sadly, such failure is being accepted for the o-line now. There are players playing bad enough that they deserve to be benched. Coaches can have tunnel vision, blind spots, and favorites just like other human beings.
I agree that a lot of our offensive linemen are playing bad enough to be benched... but who would replace them?? If these are the best we have to play with, imagine how bad our second string players would perform... :brickwall
Old 10-05-2005   #23
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I know this is hard to understand from a business perspective, but just because you are paying big bucks to somebody doesn't mean you have to play them. The line as it exists is ineffective. It can be fixed by adding Wand to left or right tackle (i don't care which) and shifting the other linemen. Personally, I would rather McKinney get bumped and the others shifted, but I think that Wand was a much better LT when he was learning the position than Riley is now.
Old 10-05-2005   #24
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

Our team gave up the fewest amount of sacks in year 2 when Pitts was playing left tackle. I dont understand why we dont give him a shot at the tackle spot again. :brickwall
We could move Pitts to left tackle, Weigert to Left guard, Todd Wade to right guard and Victor Riley over to right tackle. Giving us Pitts, Weigert, McKinney, Wade, Riley.
This lineup cant do any worse.
Old 10-05-2005   #25
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardKnockTexan
I agree that a lot of our offensive linemen are playing bad enough to be benched... but who would replace them?? If these are the best we have to play with, imagine how bad our second string players would perform... :brickwall
We won't know until we play them. "On paper" Buchanon and Babin would still be playing. These O-lineman should fear being benched. They shouldn't assume they play because they show up.

IMO, Wand is better than Riley. Wand's stats from last year bear this out when compared with Riley's projected stats for this year. (yes, I know they are only projections, but it is what we have to work with). They didn't line the TE up next to Wand last year as much as they do for Riley, either.
Old 10-05-2005   #26
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Our team gave up the fewest amount of sacks in year 2 when Pitts was playing left tackle. I dont understand why we dont give him a shot at the tackle spot again. :brickwall
We could move Pitts to left tackle, Weigert to Left guard, Todd Wade to right guard and Victor Riley over to right tackle. Giving us Pitts, Weigert, McKinney, Wade, Riley.
I agree with you in that the way things are has got to change. That has to be the top priority with the coaches, but unfortunately, everything is status quo right now.
Old 10-05-2005   #27
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
But why do the same 5 starters have to start? Why are they ordained as "The Five Who Play".

As an aside, Wade is probably too tall for guard - the shorter, heavier interior lineman types would get under his pads to easily. He's built to be a tackle, as is Wand.
Sponsored links
Old 10-05-2005   #28
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Here's a list of our offensive linemen:
Victor Riley, Seth Wand, Steve McKinney, Todd Washington, Drew Hogdon, Chester Pitts, Fred Weary, Zack Wiegert, Milford Brown and Todd Wade.

Sadley enough, our starting 5 are the best that we have to work with. Todd Washington is decent. Todd Wade has proven nothing to me. I havent seen Drew Hogdon play. Fred Weary and Milford Brown are at best practice squad players for any other team.
Old 10-05-2005   #29
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

All I know is what I have seen during the games, and as I have always said, I have yet to see a reason for the Texans to replace Wand. He got burned by one guy last season. If the rest of the team had that kind of stat, then we would be in the AFC championship.
Old 10-05-2005   #30
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Here's a list of our offensive linemen:
Victor Riley, Seth Wand, Steve McKinney, Todd Washington, Drew Hogdon, Chester Pitts, Fred Weary, Zack Wiegert, Milford Brown and Todd Wade.

Sadley enough, our starting 5 are the best that we have to work with. Todd Washington is decent. Todd Wade has proven nothing to me. I havent seen Drew Hogdon play. Fred Weary and Milford Brown are at best practice squad players for any other team.
Riley is on pace to give up (slightly) more sacks and have 4 times the penalties as Wand last year. I believe we are rushing for fewer yards per carry to the left this year too, but that may have changed last game. Our starting 5 are not the best we have to work with.

It appears we'll have to agree to disagree on this one or post ad nauseum, so please take the opportunity to have last word and then I'm going to move on.

Cheers.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read