Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-03-2005   #1
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jamie Sharper Comments

does anyone have quotes of what jamie sharper said last season that got him in hot water? i seem to remember he was blaming the coaches for a "trying not to lose" mentallity and generally upset with how things were being ran. i'm a bit curious as to what exactly what was said and how it applies to where we are right now.
Old 10-03-2005   #2
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

It's in my post... Blast from the past

And here... Let the Soul Searching Begin
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember him saying they needed someone to lead the team. It was speculated that he might be talking about coaching and I also remember some people saying that HE should try doing a little leading (by example, I assume) himself. When I first heard that quote, I didn't think anything of it myself, but that's probably because I'm so used to hearing all the politically correct stuff that's so meaningless.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #4
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

"I was done with losing that first season," linebacker Jamie Sharper said. "No more positives. You have to produce. Somebody has to show us the way. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but who's going to direct us there? We need somebody to direct us to wins instead of close games."
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #5
HoustonHarley
Rookie

"I was done with losing that first season," linebacker Jamie Sharper said. "No more positives. You have to produce. Somebody has to show us the way. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but who's going to direct us there? We need somebody to direct us to wins instead of close games."

Does Sharper mean a player? Different coaches? Who?

"I don't know," he said.

You know after re-reading those comments, he is dead on! No wonder they let him go. He passed the buck up, instead of down. That is not allowed. He was talking directly to the Coaching staff, just like we are now. That is kinda funny actually. I think Mr. McNair needs to read those comments again.
HoustonHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

thanks wonger, that was the quote i was looking for (taken from his second link being from the chronicle). i took it then, and take it now as a finger pointed at the coaching staff. it still applies i think. we need direction for this team that we're not getting. you saw jamie leading the defense in nearly every statistic possible, and you see dunta on fire each game both on and off the field. the leadership has to come from the coaches to get everyone on the same page and give them a firm direction, isnt that what coaches are paid for? i hope we see more players this season saying exactly the same things as jamie & gary did. they're playing their hardest, but are they playing to the potential that they would if they were under a different staff such as belichick's or cowher's?

i know it's just another post added to the blame the coaches stack, but until things are done to remedy the situation, it's the top priority.
Old 10-03-2005   #7
Scooter
Funky

oh, and as a preemptive strike ... that "i dont know" at the end, i firmly believe that he decided to bite his tongue rather than bite the hand that feeds. at his age, he'd have zero value if he tacked on names there at the end.
Old 10-03-2005   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
bite the hand that feeds.
good CD [WITH TEETH]
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #9
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Well, Sharper was right. If I remember right, he was the only member of the team that had won a Superbowl. :hmmm Let me know if there is anyone else.

I think it may have been the coaches he was talking about.
Old 10-03-2005   #10
Texan Gal 312
Veteran

I still think he was talking about himself or another player.
Someone to step up and make a play when it needed to be made.
Texan Gal 312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #11
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Sharper was talking about every individual in the organization from the owner to the timeclock guy. He meant it as a way of saying we need to be accountable and step up and lead our team out of damnation. He was right, but you dont say it publicly if you want to stay with a team. Aaron Glenn was still a mistake to let go, but cudos to THe Tuna for wooing him away from us.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody know how Sharper's doing with Seattle (I think it's Seattle)?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #13
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I always thought and still believe Sharper was talking about the coaching staff. A whole lot of people on this bb jumped out and said he shouldn't be saying what he said and be a leader himself. I think we can see in Sharpers absence that he truly was a leader and is missed along with Glenn.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #14
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
I think we can see in Sharpers absence that he truly was a leader and is missed along with Glenn.
i dont know about that. weve had a slight case of growing pains but i still believe we will be just fine, if not better, without both of the defensive "leaders"
Old 10-05-2005   #15
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
He's #30 to date in the NFC (gets knocked out of the list NFL wide) 16 tackles, 5 assists.

Wong has 17 tackles, 9 assists for reference. and is 21st in the AFC, 30th overall.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #16
touttail
All Pro

Does Sharper mean a player? Different coaches? Who?

"I don't know," he said.

Jamie is not a soothsayer. He knew there was a problem. Well, a year later, we still have a problem. Guess Jamie knew what he was talking about.

Please bring Jamie back------I have 3 of his jerseys---LOL!

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
I think we can see in Sharpers absence that he truly was a leader and is missed along with Glenn.
Really? How is that so obvious other than it is what you thought prior to the season?

Total D
2004 341.1 ypg 19 1st downs pg 43.4% 3rd down conv. 30:01 TOP 4.4 ypc
2005 358.3 ypg 20 1st downs pg 31.4 3rd down conv. 33:58 TOP 4.1 ypc

Looks like they are doing better against the run and a lot better on 3rd down with a blip on total yards and 1st downs because the offense can't stay on the field.

Glenn you could see with emotion on the field and helping out the other DB's on the sidelines. What could you ever see from Sharper? When did you ever see him on the field firing up the team or on the sideline working with Peek, Babin, Orr, Polk, Foley or even Foreman? I just don't understand the assumption that every veteran is a leader. Sharper was a great LB the 1st two years and an above average one the 3rd year based on his play. That doesn't mean he was a leader.
Old 10-05-2005   #18
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72

Individual Defense
Total Tackles Assists Sacks Fum Rec
Lofa Tatupu 24 18.0 6 2 0
Jamie Sharper 21 16.0 5 0 0
D.D. Lewis 21 17.0 4 0 0
Michael Boulware 19 15.0 4 2 0

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #19
SESupergenius

Just because Sharper doesn't get all overhyped up doesn't mean he's not a leader. Our administration of personnel has been pretty bad whether it be through the draft, acquiring free agents...etc. This is no different. There is a reason both Glenn and Sharper were picked up relatively quickly....they were good.
Old 10-05-2005   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Just because Sharper doesn't get all overhyped up doesn't mean he's not a leader. Our administration of personnel has been pretty bad whether it be through the draft, acquiring free agents...etc. This is no different. There is a reason both Glenn and Sharper were picked up relatively quickly....they were good.
I agree both were good players still. And I agree getting overhyped isn't the only sign of leadership. That is why I mentioned sideline demeanor. I happen to sit on the Texans sideline very low and was surprised by how little different players interacted in between series. I particularly noticed (because he was one of my favorite D players by the way) that Jamie came off the field and either stood around with his gatorade or sat down and didn't talk much with anyone particularly not with the younger LBs. In contrast, you could often see a big group of DB's standing together talking. None of us knows what happens in the lockerroom, but from what we could see on the field and at the sideline IMO Sharper was a great player with no significant leadership role.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read