Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-03-2005   #1
3960AD
Rookie

Default Trade for Philip Rivers

I think we should send a 3rd rounder and a receiver to San Diego for Philip Rivers. And if we continue to do bad, we could trade our 1st round pick (lets assume it would be top 3 or so) to Denver for the 2 that they have. With those picks, we could use it on some good OLs. Or a WR and OL. Whatever it is, we should upgrade the OL. We could spend the rest of the draft helping the DL and probably getting a RB (Lendale White) to back up Davis.

Thoughts??
3960AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #2
touttail
All Pro

That's it, trade for Rivers. And just what has he proven he could do????? He's never started in a NFL game.

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #3
Johnny Utah
All Pro

San Diego would not trade away Rivers to another team unless the other team gives up a high 1st round pick.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #4
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61582 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Carr is not the QB, the Texans need to find a boring veteran to come in as the starter for a couple of years. Until the Texan's resolve the protection paying for another high dollar is a futile investment.
ArlingtonTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #5
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33516 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3960AD
I think we should send a 3rd rounder and a receiver to San Diego for Philip Rivers. Thoughts??
Why not just send the Patriots a 2nd round pick this year and next year for Brady. Just as likely to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
If Carr is not the QB, the Texans need to find a boring veteran to come in as the starter for a couple of years. Until the Texan's resolve the protection paying for another high dollar is a futile investment.
Agreed. Getting another young, inexperienced QB would be a waste without fixing the other concerns we have on offense first.
Old 10-03-2005   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

No. Go journeyman and right the ship by spending dollars on our glaring needs. The larger problem is who will have thier hands in the those decisions and purse strings.
Old 10-03-2005   #7
teamplaya
Rookie

i think trading for Rivers would be not smart because he has never played so it would be like starting a rookie all over but i would try to bring back Steve Foley he has been amazing in the Chargers 3-4 and he knows how to get pressure
teamplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2005   #8
Johnny Utah
All Pro

Dree Brees would be a much better option for the Texans
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #9
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33516 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamplaya
i would try to bring back Steve Foley he has been amazing in the Chargers 3-4 and he knows how to get pressure
I'd love to agree with you but I think he'd be the same player he was when he was here. Our system just seems to hold players back.
Old 10-03-2005   #10
3960AD
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
No. Go journeyman and right the ship by spending dollars on our glaring needs. The larger problem is who will have thier hands in the those decisions and purse strings.
See, I'm not saying to get Philips as a 'starter'. I never said that. Primarily I see him coming here to be a guy that could back up Carr. A guy that pressures him to drive the offense a bit more. Be more aggressive as he was on Sunday. Carr has no depth behind him in my opinion, nor someone who could challenge him for his job. Philips could. Think of D. Faggins and P. Buchanon. Faggins play will surely get the best of Buchanon. Look on Sunday, Buchanon had his game as a Texan so far, IMHO.
Old 10-03-2005   #11
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61582 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
See, I'm not saying to get Philips as a 'starter'. I never said that. Primarily I see him coming here to be a guy that could back up Carr. A guy that pressures him to drive the offense a bit more. Be more aggressive as he was on Sunday. Carr has no depth behind him in my opinion, nor someone who could challenge him for his job. Philips could. Think of D. Faggins and P. Buchanon. Faggins play will surely get the best of Buchanon. Look on Sunday, Buchanon had his game as a Texan so far, IMHO.
Rivers is making about the same money as Carr. If having someone to push Carr is your goal then a lower priced veteran option is the choice.
ArlingtonTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #12
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Think of D. Faggins and P. Buchanon. Faggins play will surely get the best of Buchanon. Look on Sunday, Buchanon had his game as a Texan so far, IMHO.
I agree with that. Buchanon actually hit somebody although there was at least one play I remember when he pulled another "Deion" ....
Old 10-03-2005   #13
3960AD
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Rivers is making about the same money as Carr. If having someone to push Carr is your goal then a lower priced veteran option is the choice.
Like who? Testavadere? Akili Smith?
Old 10-03-2005   #14
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 86117 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

With out blockers who are knowledgeable of our system, Joe Montana would look like.....David Carr. Is part of the problem, yes. Is replacing him going to fix everything, no. Might be time to cut the umbilical cord, let him leave as a FA. Draft blockers and defenders this year, and maybe draft a QB in '07. I would have no problem with Banks or Ragone steering the ship for a year. Isn't Kitna coming available this offseason? Not that he would want to come here or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165633 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think we should send a 3rd rounder and a receiver to San Diego for Philip Rivers. And if we continue to do bad, we could trade our 1st round pick (lets assume it would be top 3 or so) to Denver for the 2 that they have. With those picks, we could use it on some good OLs. Or a WR and OL. Whatever it is, we should upgrade the OL. We could spend the rest of the draft helping the DL and probably getting a RB (Lendale White) to back up Davis.

Thoughts??
Thoughts? I'll tell you my thoughts. I think I hear that Bud Light "Real Men of Genius" music coming up in the background.

"Here's to you mister preposterous trade suggestor..."
Old 10-03-2005   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 112052 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Thoughts? I'll tell you my thoughts. I think I hear that Bud Light "Real Men of Genius" music coming up in the background.

lol

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165633 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like who? Testavadere? Akili Smith?

Testaverde would be a dead man in a matter of minutes if he played with our offense. Akili Smith couldn't push me for our starting QB spot.
Old 10-03-2005   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel

Nice.

You could add the following dialogue, "When being blind folded and throwing darts at the draft board did not work, you thought that your blind genius would work with a trade for another high priced draft pick who cannot even start on his own team."
Old 10-03-2005   #19
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Any QB would be running for his life and that will never change unless the o line is severly overhauled. I mean the only two players on the o line who will be here in two years starting, will be Pitts and Wade.
Old 10-03-2005   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Nice.

You could add the following dialogue, "When being blind folded and throwing darts at the draft board did not work, you thought that your blind genius would work with a trade for another high priced draft pick who cannot even start on his own team."
Actually I want to give credit where it's due in case anyone here hasn't heard it. "Mr Preposterous Trade Suggestor" is in the sound vault over at the Sportsradio 610 website. It is highly amusing IMO.

If you already knew that then pardon this interruption of your scheduled thread. As you were.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read