Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-03-2005   #1
3960AD
Rookie

Default In the 2006 Draft, the Texans....

draft Matt Leinart from USC. I have a lot of respect for David Carr, but unfortunately if he doesn't get the job done this year he's a goner. The oline is below average at tops, everyone from here to Siberia knows that. However, David Carr will take the fall for this one if we continue to get beat. David Carr did ok today, but remember there are no moral victories in the NFL. When the clock hits 00:00 if your down you lose. Bottomline!

Our defense was suppose to be the weak spot this year, but it seems its the offense. On paper these guys look great. Carr, Johnson, Davis. On the field, horrid.

If we continue to lose...we'll probably have a shot at Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush or Derek Hagan. Which would you guys go far at this point? Assuming we continue to lose. I personally dont see the oline getting any better, therefore I don't see us being able to generate any offense.

In an ideal situation, we'll trade Carr soon before his value drops...
3960AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #2
THEFUTURE
All Pro

mcnair and casserly are not *****s, they don't draft matt leinert, not a chance. Carr is doing well. but lets see 20 sacks in 3 games isn't exactly stellar blocking. let carr get sacked only once a game, and not get the pressure he gets every game, he is a top 10 quarterback in this league. we draft a lineman in the first, and a receiver in the second.. but how bout we don't talk about who we are going to be drafting at all, we just started the season
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #3
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I say that we grab Marcus McNeill or D'Brickashaw Ferguson, both of those guys could make defenders look like this :brickwall .
Old 10-03-2005   #4
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

So we get rid of Carr and get a less mobile quarterback with Leinart while still having the awful line? Thats like buying $10,000 rims for a piece of junk car. It looks nicer, but it won't change the ride.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #5
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
So we get rid of Carr and get a less mobile quarterback with Leinart while still having the awful line? Thats like buying $10,000 rims for a piece of junk car. It looks nicer, but it won't change the ride.
Most people just dont get it with Leinart...
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #6
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

As much as we need a better O-line, if Reggie Bush is still available it would be interesting to pick him and convert him to WR. Having Andre Johnson, Jerome Mathis, and Reggie Bush would provide a ton of speed in three-receiver sets that would definitely spread the defense out if used properly. We still would have Gaffney or Armstrong to send over the middle on short or medium length routes since they catch almost anything thrown at them. Otherwise, I don't think we should get a WR. Bottom line, it totally depends on how the rest of the season goes and who is left at whatever position we get in the draft.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #7
hou059
Veteran

hey 3960AD, you are definetly a rookie. Yeah David Carr is struggling, yes we want him to explode onto the scene like everyone knows he can but you don't trade or cut or whatever your starting franchine QB who accounts for probably half your teams salary. David Carr has all the tools. We all know that, but to draft Leinart is obsurd...San Diego ring a bell? Then we have two QB's with huge salaries on our team. No point at all. You don't trade David Carr cause he is struggling. Okay, we have one GOOD receiever and one GOOD running back...SO WHAT? Who compliments Andre Johnson? WR by committee is not the answer. Is DD the game breaker we need NOPE but he is a good back at best. David Carr year in and year out has had to work with a patch work O-line, not his fault, no decent TE to rely on when he needs to get rid of the ball so clearly there are bigger needs to address in the draft. Like O-line, like a speed rusher to play our OLB, how about an upgrade over Coleman in the secondary. Yeah Carr is sucking right now but he looked 100X better yesterday, didn't committ any turnovers ( that was a chicken ****, bush league call by the reffs!) and was clutch in picking up to BIG first downs by running with the rock. Carr is our guy!
hou059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2005   #8
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
As much as we need a better O-line, if Reggie Bush is still available it would be interesting to pick him and convert him to WR. Having Andre Johnson, Jerome Mathis, and Reggie Bush would provide a ton of speed in three-receiver sets that would definitely spread the defense out if used properly. We still would have Gaffney or Armstrong to send over the middle on short or medium length routes since they catch almost anything thrown at them. Otherwise, I don't think we should get a WR. Bottom line, it totally depends on how the rest of the season goes and who is left at whatever position we get in the draft.

Terrible move to convert to move Bush to WR. The whole reason that Bush has so much value now is his versatility. Bigger, Faster, Stronger Michael Westbrook. If he converts to WR, he's your average run of the mill "great" WR.
Old 10-03-2005   #9
Haams
All Pro

I say - if we end the season with a top 5 pick - we trade it. I'll take either 2 first rounders or a quality veteran and a first rounder. We're at the point where we have to draft an o-lineman. I agree with the theory that we can't try to replace our decent players (David Carr and DD) with stars while we have terrible players at other positions. If we fix the holes our weapons will be able to perform. The O-Line is our biggest hole, let's start there. We also need another recieving threat - WR or TE.
Haams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #10
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I'm telling you, Ferguson first and Marcedes Lewis second. He is a 6'6 250 TE Antonio Gates clone.
Old 10-03-2005   #11
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
I'm telling you, Ferguson first and Marcedes Lewis second. He is a 6'6 250 TE Antonio Gates clone.

Mercedes wont last to round two. He'll be closer to top 15 than round 2.
Old 10-03-2005   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Stud LT in the first.. Reggie McNeal in the second
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #13
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Anybody know about that WR from BYU? I'ver heard that he is pretty good, yet know nothing about him
Old 10-05-2005   #14
hou059
Veteran

I am telling yall, our first pick will adress the line, so many OT in this years draft you can't pass them up. From Ferguson to Scott (is that the guys name from UT) man I am telling this years draft is a goldmine. I seriously doubt the Texans get an early draft pick, I feel they will finish strong, looking at 15th or 16th pick. I can't see another draft comming where we don't address our O-Line.
hou059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #15
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

After an LT in the 1st, I would go with TE Tim Day from Oregon or Derek Hagan from Arizona St.
Old 10-05-2005   #16
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3960AD
draft Matt Leinart from USC. I have a lot of respect for David Carr, but unfortunately if he doesn't get the job done this year he's a goner. The oline is below average at tops, everyone from here to Siberia knows that. However, David Carr will take the fall for this one if we continue to get beat. David Carr did ok today, but remember there are no moral victories in the NFL. When the clock hits 00:00 if your down you lose. Bottomline!

Our defense was suppose to be the weak spot this year, but it seems its the offense. On paper these guys look great. Carr, Johnson, Davis. On the field, horrid.

If we continue to lose...we'll probably have a shot at Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush or Derek Hagan. Which would you guys go far at this point? Assuming we continue to lose. I personally dont see the oline getting any better, therefore I don't see us being able to generate any offense.

In an ideal situation, we'll trade Carr soon before his value drops...

In the 2006 Draft, the Texans trade down to acquire another first round pick. They then use that first pick on a stud LT like Winston and use the second first round pick on a Defensive Ball Hawk. You know who I am referring to? AJ HAWK!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
After an LT in the 1st, I would go with TE Tim Day from Oregon or Derek Hagan from Arizona St.
Tim Day has looked lost this year and only a borderline NFL talent at the rate he is playing. Oregon is throwing the ball around (4th in the nation in pass offense) yet Day is struggling (no TD's, 11 rec for 97 yds). I watched the Oregon Houston game @ Relient and he was benched for missing a blocking assingment & running the wrong route. I'm sure his stock will rise once the combines start but Tim Day does not appear to be the solution for the Texans TE situation as eariler thought
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005   #18
Haams
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst
In the 2006 Draft, the Texans trade down to acquire another first round pick. They then use that first pick on a stud LT like Winston and use the second first round pick on a Defensive Ball Hawk. You know who I am referring to? AJ HAWK!
I gotta say I like the sounds of this - although I would love an opportunity to take Rod Wright.
Old 10-05-2005   #19
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haams
I gotta say I like the sounds of this - although I would love an opportunity to take Rod Wright.
As long as that "Stud LT" ISNT Winston, I would be happy.
Old 10-05-2005   #20
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

To go even further, If we have the #1-2 and another 15-20. I'd go Bush and McNeil, Scott or Trueblood. I like AJ Hawk about as much as I liked DJ last year, but I would be pretty pissed if we go OLB after passing DJ last year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read