Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-02-2005   #1
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run
Default Go figure...

Just heard on Fox Sports this ref that blew our call was the guy who called Brady's fumble an incomplete pass! You have to say, if Brady's was not a fumble, than therer is no way that Carr's was a fumble. Unbelivable that the same guy made that call. Really is no excuse, you look at tape for 3 minutes and you call that a fumble

I'm out, the more I think abut it the madder I get...

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 10-02-2005   #2
aliaspgk
Rookie

Default How can a call like that happen? honestly

I sat with my mouth open just really not knowing how to react. After they began to review the Carr tuck play I watched one replay and happily turned quickly to the Astros game with 100% assurance that when I turned back it we would still have the ball. Apart from holding and PI calls (which are totally subjective for the most part) I dont understand how you could have absoutle IRREFUTABLE evidence that his hand was still on the ball and it was going forward...for christs sake the ball went forward 5 yards. I just cant believe this isnt a bigger deal to anyone, ESPN and other highlight shows. We got absoultely robbed...that was our chance at the game winning drive (with no timeouts and no protection even on prevent you cant honestly expect us to go 80+ in 50 seconds without getting really lucky at the end of the game). I just sat motionless not really knowing how to react to that-even if we hadnt moved the ball after that we punt and its still a 3 point game with 4 minutes and a timeout and a shot for us to stop them on defense. I am still speechless and I have to imagine there must be some kind of former NFL apology issued tomorrow. If someone thinks Im wrong I would like to hear it because I still sick to my stomach.
aliaspgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

If you don't want to have this problem, don't root for Houston teams. It's a stigma or something. I have my theories, but the fact is that Houston teams are always mistreated by refs, umps, whatever. Same reason they're always disrespected by the media. The media would love Carr (California) if he didn't play in Houston.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005   #4
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
If you don't want to have this problem, don't root for Houston teams. It's a stigma or something. I have my theories, but the fact is that Houston teams are always mistreated by refs, umps, whatever. Same reason they're always disrespected by the media. The media would love Carr (California) if he didn't play in Houston.
Funny thing is people in California think their is a bias against the West Coast by the East Coast media.

The Texans did get robbed of an opportunity to win the game.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
Funny thing is people in California think their is a bias against the West Coast by the East Coast media.
They're probably right, but only when they play against the east coast specifically and not to near the extent that Houston gets it, IMO.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005   #6
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Well, f the media and the refs and anyone else hating and disrespecting Houston teams. This definitely isn't the first time a bogus call like that was made against a team from Houston. But whatever. The refs and media can get booed like Sports Illustrated here in Houston.
Old 10-03-2005   #7
Elite
Veteran

I tought the call could of gone either way but the Houston should of not put them self in a situation were one ball call decides the game wich the way we were playing we would of been lucky to get a field at best. this style of conservitve football is not going to win games for us.
Old 10-03-2005   #8
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
you've been watching too many x-files episodes
Malloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #9
Cheroqui
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaspgk
I I just cant believe this isnt a bigger deal to anyone, ESPN and other highlight shows.
They never do. I get pissed because I'll want to see or hear what they have to say and they give us no press, absolutely no coverage at all. They do week to week on NFL channel and still don't talk about the team like they do the others. Either they don't mention us at all, or breeze through the team we have to play/played.
Old 10-03-2005   #10
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheroqui
They never do. I get pissed because I'll want to see or hear what they have to say and they give us no press, absolutely no coverage at all. They do week to week on NFL channel and still don't talk about the team like they do the others. Either they don't mention us at all, or breeze through the team we have to play/played.
But it works both ways. David Carr should be getting raked over by the nat'l media the way Tim Couch was, but he's been given a pass.

Sure, they didn't make a big deal out of the call (and they should have) but they also aren't saying anything about Carr's lack of progression (which they should)

I get the feeling that the nat'l media honestly doesn't care about this team. Of course, they will when you start winning, but right now they put your team as a footnote every chance they get.
Old 10-03-2005   #11
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
I get the feeling that the nat'l media honestly doesn't care about this team. Of course, they will when you start winning, but right now they put your team as a footnote every chance they get.
That's exactly it. It's the same story for every Houston franchise. We are almost always in the shadow of Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, Patriots, Eagles, etc. Even our winning teams are on the second page compared to those teams. I remember a timeline of the NBA mentioned a bunch of teams winning championships, and had the Bulls etc on there, but not a single mention of Houstons back to backs. It didn't even surprise me, to be honest. The reason Carr has been given a free pass for so long is partially because the media "experts" care so little about this team that getting their facts straight or putting intelligent backing into their opinions, really isn't that important.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #12
Crank_It_Up
Veteran

Default Refs inhaled toxic fumes today

That call was just one of many bad calls today on both sides... one of the worst called games I've ever seen. Holding where there was no holding, pass interference where there was no pass interference.... amazing.

If the refs are gonna party like that the night before a game, they should at least have the courtesy to invite us.
Old 10-03-2005   #13
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaspgk
I sat with my mouth open just really not knowing how to react. After they began to review the Carr tuck play I watched one replay and happily turned quickly to the Astros game with 100% assurance that when I turned back it we would still have the ball. Apart from holding and PI calls (which are totally subjective for the most part) I dont understand how you could have absoutle IRREFUTABLE evidence that his hand was still on the ball and it was going forward...for christs sake the ball went forward 5 yards. I just cant believe this isnt a bigger deal to anyone, ESPN and other highlight shows. We got absoultely robbed...that was our chance at the game winning drive (with no timeouts and no protection even on prevent you cant honestly expect us to go 80+ in 50 seconds without getting really lucky at the end of the game). I just sat motionless not really knowing how to react to that-even if we hadnt moved the ball after that we punt and its still a 3 point game with 4 minutes and a timeout and a shot for us to stop them on defense. I am still speechless and I have to imagine there must be some kind of former NFL apology issued tomorrow. If someone thinks Im wrong I would like to hear it because I still sick to my stomach.
????? It had to do with the inimidation of being on Cincy's home field. Myself, the Texan offense,along with every TV comentator, radio comentators, fans, my dogs and cats, thought it was a forward pass. His arm was going forward, his hand still on the ball, and the ball went straight out and hit a lineman. Go figure how that ***** could call that play a fumble. It took the game away from us, knocked the wind out of our sails. BTW-they said that was the same crew that screwed up the "famous coin toss" too! Tar and feather them I say!!!!!!!

bobby119C :brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #14
touttail
All Pro

It was also the same Ref who bumbled the coin toss in the Super Bowl.

bobby 119C :brickwall
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #15
WhoDeyBengals
Rookie

Rep Power: 48 WhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respectedWhoDeyBengals is a quality contributor and well respected

There were bad calls on both teams. That intentional grounding penalty was a b.s. call that you guys got. Probably saved a touchdown. The procedure penalty that brought back the TD was b.s. Saved you another score. Guys, I agree that you got a bad call on the turnover, but come on. Get over it.

Without the zebras, you guys would have been beat worse.
Old 10-03-2005   #16
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
But it works both ways. David Carr should be getting raked over by the nat'l media the way Tim Couch was, but he's been given a pass.

Sure, they didn't make a big deal out of the call (and they should have) but they also aren't saying anything about Carr's lack of progression (which they should)
That is a great point. Harrington, Boller and several other young QB's are criticized when they play poorly, but for some reason Carr gets a pass.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #17
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

The reffing was horrible the whole game and the Bengals definitely got the overall benefit of it but the Texans still didn't make a few key plays here and there when we needed it. That pass interference on Faggins that set up the Bengals only TD was garbage, and the fumble at the end was probably the worst call I've seen in an NFL game, possibly topped only by the infamous tuck rule that allowed the Patriots to get into the Super Bowl, and it was the same referee that made the call. I have to assume the ref didn't want to admit that he blew the call, but either way if our O-lineman had fallen on the ball rather than standing there and letting the Bengals get it then we wouldn't be arguing about it anyways. It hurts that our possible game-tying or winning drive was taken away from us like that and that the pass interference gave them a first down at the one yard line in the first half, but we still didn't make quite enough plays to win this one. We have the Titans coming in town this weekend and with the offense looking much improved this should be a great game for us against the Titans poor defense, and then we get to go to Seattle to face an equally poor defense, so we should win these next two and be back on track.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #18
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyBengals
There were bad calls on both teams. That intentional grounding penalty was a b.s. call that you guys got. Probably saved a touchdown. The procedure penalty that brought back the TD was b.s. Saved you another score. Guys, I agree that you got a bad call on the turnover, but come on. Get over it.

The calls that you speak of were in fact penalties. The procedure call was an illegal formation call and was correct the wr covered the te. The Grounding was grounding because the ball did not get back to the line. The fact is these are the rules. The fumble that was bs.
Old 10-03-2005   #19
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

as for that intentional grounding, it was a good call because he ran back at least very close to within the tackles and the ball came no where near the line of scrimmage and no Bengal receiver was within 15 yards of it, not to mention the line got away with a hold on Peek on that play.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #20
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyBengals

it was bad on both sides. the grounding & procedural calls you mentioned, the "fumble", the pass interference by faggins, the bogus holding calls & non calls (steinbech got flagged during a textbook block and shortly after no call as a lineman is BEHIND payne with his arms around his stomach) & weak offensive pass interference calls on both teams. we can only complain now about what could've been, but it could've been a very good game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read