Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-02-2005   #1
Babbles
Rookie

Default Carr Wreck

The Good: Dom Capers looked like a head coach today
Dunta Robinson is the real deal
Seth Payne played well today
Phillip Buchannon played well today
Coaches keep jobs more weeks

The Bad: David Carr slingshot side-arm sucks
Andre Johnson is a #2 reciever
Linebacker problems are eating up any progress on defense side
Charley Casserly is still GM
Probably the best the Texans could possibly play
No TE's who can block or catch
That official should go to jail
Babbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005   #2
TigerBait
Veteran

I think Faggins covers about as good (or bad you could say) as Buchanon. That being said I think Philip just had to prove he could freakin' tackle, and he did that today I guess.
TigerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, I really can't argue with that. I know everyone in here is probably saying Andre is not a #2 but until I see him come across the middle to make himself available and break off routes so that his QB doesn't get hammered when he sees the blitz in front of him...I kind of have to agree with that.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005   #4
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Carr still needs some better pass protection - 7 sacks is unacceptable. At this point he is on pace to break his inaugural season record-breaker

Hope they work on making plays for AJ this week. He has gotta be more of a factor. He's being humbled in my opinion, by his own team :thud
Old 10-02-2005   #5
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

True. I think this was the first time I've seen Capers get in someone's face.

Yup!

I thought the D Line as a whole played really well. Our Linebacking corps is where our D is hurting at.

Did we watch the same game?? He didnt have an OLE' play today, but he still played his reciever way too soft, when he was on the field that is...

I agree. Pendry's game calling was a refreshing change. Fangio should be feeling a little heat now though. Still no turnovers and very little pressure on the QB.

The Bad: David Carr slingshot side-arm sucks
It is a little unothadox, but he has a cannon of an arm and played a very solid game today.

Andre Johnson is a #2 reciever
Don't kid yourself. AJ had a rough game, but he demands constant doubleteams. He is definentally one of the top 10 recievers in the game, possibly top 5.

Linebacker problems are eating up any progress on defense side
Agreed...

Charley Casserly is still GM
For atleast 13 more games.....

Probably the best the Texans could possibly play
Are you serious? This was their first game under Pendry and they have many areas where improvement is very possable.

No TE's who can block or catch
Bruener is a very solid blocker and he has decent hands. His problem is that he lacks speed to get open often enough. It'd be nice to have a complete TE for sure though.

I'm in the process of making my ref voodoo doll.... HE WILL PAY!
Old 10-02-2005   #6
Babbles
Rookie

I think Carrs problem is mechanical as in Phillip Rivers side-arm (weird eddy) throwing technique. Thats why the Giants going with Manning because that style is ok for back-up. Carr is the only wierd-eddy side arm ffreakshow in the league. Lets get somone who can look over the center and throw. Thanks
Old 10-02-2005   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr needs to improve, but it's really not his fault. I'm embarrassed for AJ. People have compared him to the best in the game at times and, although I don't know about the route running and such, he needs to stop dropping passes. Elite receivers don't do that, at least not very often. He needs to go back to working on his hands again. It worked in the past, whatever they were doing. Maybe Robinson can teach him how to use his hands and teach Bucho how to hit.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2005   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Carr will be fine if he has an Offensive line. This bad season might be a blessing in disguise because we might have a chance to go after a big time lineman like Ferguson. Good teams have to have good lines. You can't have success with a terrible line. You can get away with having a bad running game or a bad passing game, but the offensive line controls both the running and passing game. I'd say the offseason we should draft and go after through FA, the best lineman (hopefully Ferguson), a good WR, a TE, and few more linemen. This team has potential with the Johnson, Davis, Carr core. They just need to add a strong line to let them do their magic and a few more complementary pieces to give them some help.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

People here criticize Carr's throwing technique, but they all want Vince Young, even though he throws even more sidearm than Carr does.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005   #10
Babbles
Rookie

Default Ha

You just proved my point. Young cant throw the ball either, yea right...his side-arm freakness makes him at best an average passer. He couldnt throw his way out of a wet paper bag.
Old 10-03-2005   #11
SESupergenius

Carr played a good game, with the O-line he deserves Hall of Fame recognition. He's the Steve Young of the Buccaneers, put him with a good team and he will shine. AJ is losing his brief credibility and is playing too soft, can't even catch a screen pass. If I was Carr I'd be throwing away from him too.
Old 10-03-2005   #12
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

IMHO

Carr's problem right now isn't in his arm or his throwing motion, but in his head. David has lost confidence in this football team, the o-line, and the offensive scheme. Considering the number of sack the guy has endured over the past four years, can you blame him? Carr looked most comfortable today when he was on a planned rollout and away from his O-line. If the play called for a pocket pass, David pulled down the ball at the first sign of pressure.

While the offensive scheme has changed with the firing of Palmer, it will take some time for David to regain his confidence in his team, his O-line, and especially himself.

The same thing happened to Trent Dilfer early in his career at Tampa Bay. Tampa at the time was a perennial cellar dweller. Trent was drafted high and was asked to carry the team on his back. Trent failed measurably. A few years latter, Trent ended up in Baltimore and won a Super Bowl. The Ravens, at the time had a really, really good defense, one of the best O-lines in the business, and a solid power running back. Many people, myself included, feel the ravens would have won several Super Bowls had they held onto Trent. Currently, Trent is playing for Cleveland and has the 5th highest quarterback rating in the NFL.

So given what happened to Trent, I think that with some maturity, the right offensive scheme, and the right team, David can be a good quartback in the NFL.

The question becomes "Can David regain his confidence in Houston, or should he go somewhere else were there may not be as much pressure to carry the team?"

Well, its time to get off the
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #13
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 78148 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton
IMHO

The same thing happened to Trent Dilfer early in his career at Tampa Bay.
I will disagree and agree somewhat about Dilfer. I have been a Bucs fan since they have been in the league and I remember the Dilfer days. First off, he wasn't getting pounded like Carr is. He had a decent O line so you can't really compare the two. Dilfer was just brutal early on because Wyche wanted him to play like a great QB and designed an offense around him. He was just not a great QB at the NFL level. Anytime you put the game on his shoulders he would throw an INT and always manage to do something to lose the game. The Bucs weren't THAT bad around him either. Their problem was, Wyche was a passing type of coach and Dilfer could not cut it. He single handedly lost a LOT of games for the Bucs.

Tony Dungy came in and changed the Bucs to a defense first, smash mouth running offensive team. He didn't want Dilfer to win the games for him, he just didn't want Dilfer to lose the games. Dungy for the most part relied on the run and low risk passing plays, which Dilfer did OK with. The Ravens did the same or even more so. He did have a great Super Bowl game, however I can name several other below average QB's that have done the same, i.e. Brad Johnson. Dilfer can have his moments and go on streaks but he always comes around to being bad again. There is a reason why he has been on so many NFL teams. I wouldn't want him on my team again, that is for sure. I remember getting excited about Shawn King, that shows how bad Dilfer was/is. He might have good stats right now but let's see what he has at the end of the year.

BTW, if David Carr turns out to be another Dilfer, god help us all.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #14
ohwhyknott
Rookie

Thumbs up Respect for the TEXANS-Cincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbles

I'm really not here to make anybody mad, brother, but everybody gets bad calls, Welcome to the N.F.L. They took points off the board, & a lot of strange,(if not too close ) calls on our Bengals too. But we as fans recoginize the talent that stepped on that very hostile field, & made a strong showing against a pretty good football team! The TEXANS represented the Great City of Houston very well, Thank You very much! (I know Corny)---That was a great game!!! Congrats! to the ASTROS!!! & Good Luck this season!!!---I just can't leave without saying "goodbye"---So are you ready Houston? Sing it with me---WHO DEY---WHO DEY---WHO DEY say da' gonna beat 'dem BENGALS! Where do they play? In the JUNGLE!!!---Afraid of NOOOOOOO_BODY!!!---Sorry about that folkes!!! I just can't help it!!! Not gloating---Just Celebrating!!! It's been fun picking at y'all!!! (My mom's from Hazzard County, Ky.) & we'uns say it too!!!

Last edited by ohwhyknott; 10-03-2005 at 01:59 AM. Reason: In Fun &
ohwhyknott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #15
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 78148 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwhyknott
Sing it with me---WHO DEY---WHO DEY---WHO DEY say da' gonna beat 'dem BENGALS!
"Dey" will be the Steelers, Colts, Browns (you know you always drop one to them), and possibly KC on the road, however other than that, you guys have some patsies on your schedule. I know I will be rooting for you the next 2 weeks. It's always nice to see the Jags and Titans lose.

I see you guys going 11-5 maybe 10-6 and going in as a Wildcard. Not bad considering your recent history. Your team should be even better in the coming seasons. I really like Palmer. Too bad for us that he didn't graduate a year earlier.
Old 10-03-2005   #16
ohwhyknott
Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
Your Welcome. His arm is fine, thats how he throws, get over it. Thanks.
You're right hulk---He tore it up today! WHO DEY!---just letting you know where I'm from. ----You're RIGHT dude!
ohwhyknott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #17
Crank_It_Up
Veteran

I really don't care how Carr throws the ball... as long as it's a completion, I'm happy. Whatever works is fine with me. Carr (and the whole team) showed more heart today than they have all season.

Gaffney seems to get better with each game... a bright spot in a troubled sea.

Next week will be our first victory this year.... can't wait to see Bud's face.
Old 10-03-2005   #18
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Sidearm QB's will never be any good in the NFL, just look at Brett Favre.
Old 10-03-2005   #19
Babbles
Rookie

Brett Favre doesnt throw sidearm...he can throw side-arm and does sometimes. Its just retarded to say Favre is a side-arm quarterback

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read